Wednesday, June 30th 2021

UK Competition Regulator Greenlights AMD's Xilinx Acquisition

AMD's ambitious acquisition of Xilinx, makers of cutting-edge FPGAs, has been approved by the UK Competition and Markets Authority. This would go down as AMD's biggest tech acquisition, as the company is forking out USD $35 billion in stock. If it goes through, the AMD-Xilinix combine will see current AMD shareholders own 74% of the company, and current Xilinx shareholders with the other 26%. Both companies announced in April 2021 that their shareholders "overwhelmingly" approved of the deal. The Xilinx buyout by AMD isn't too far behind in terms of value, to NVIDIA's ambitious $40 billion bid to acquire Arm Holdings.
Many Thanks to DeathtoGnomes for the tip
Source: Tom's Hardware
Add your own comment

12 Comments on UK Competition Regulator Greenlights AMD's Xilinx Acquisition

#1
lynx29
for 5 billion more, seems like ARM would have been the better deal. but eh
Posted on Reply
#2
Camm
lynx29for 5 billion more, seems like ARM would have been the better deal. but eh
I'm not sure I can see any world where an ARM+AMD merger would be approved without AMD relinquishing its x86 license. Furthermore, Xilinix aligns much better to the networking and accelerator markets that AMD needs to synergistically target going forward.
Posted on Reply
#3
lynx29
CammI'm not sure I can see any world where an ARM+AMD merger would be approved without AMD relinquishing its x86 license. Furthermore, Xilinix aligns much better to the networking and accelerator markets that AMD needs to synergistically target going forward.
I'm aware of that, just was making an off comment. /shrug I feel like 35 billion is a bit of an over evaluation personally for this other stuff.
Posted on Reply
#4
Camm
lynx29I'm aware of that, just was making an off comment. /shrug I feel like 35 billion is a bit of an over evaluation personally for this other stuff.
Yeah, I'm not sure Xilinix was worth much more than $20 Billion, its a decent company but arguably its IP is worth more than its products.
Posted on Reply
#5
watzupken
lynx29for 5 billion more, seems like ARM would have been the better deal. but eh
I get what you mean when just looking at just the value of the company they are acquiring. But an acquisition needs to have synergy and/or useful strategically, thus, the business decision.
Posted on Reply
#6
bencrutz
lynx29for 5 billion more, seems like ARM would have been the better deal. but eh
well, amd buying xilinx with their stock, not cash ;)
Posted on Reply
#7
lynx29
bencrutzwell, amd buying xilinx with their stock, not cash ;)
hmm good point, I didn't realize that. interesting indeed.
Posted on Reply
#8
AusWolf
It's interesting that behind every publicly acknowledged company, you see the mysterious shareholders. Not John, not Jack, but shareholders. :rolleyes:
Posted on Reply
#9
john_
AMD is getting bigger.

Nvidia could become huge if it buys ARM and doesn't mess up like what it did with Ageia, PPUs and PhysX.

Apple is making really powerful ARM SOCs.

TSMC is investing 100 billions in manufacturing.

Samsung is investing over 30 billions in manufacturing.

And the company that was considered the biggest in the world, keeps looking at it's past, with a bottle of whisky in it's hands, unable to find a solution to it's problems. Right Intel?

It's amazing how much change we witnessed these last 10 years.
Posted on Reply
#10
lynx29
john_AMD is getting bigger.

Nvidia could become huge if it buys ARM and doesn't mess up like what it did with Ageia, PPUs and PhysX.

Apple is making really powerful ARM SOCs.

TSMC is investing 100 billions in manufacturing.

Samsung is investing over 30 billions in manufacturing.

And the company that was considered the biggest in the world, keeps looking at it's past, with a bottle of whisky in it's hands, unable to find a solution to it's problems. Right Intel?

It's amazing how much change we witnessed these last 10 years.
Leadership was the key difference in a lot of it too.
Posted on Reply
#11
demian_vi
AusWolfIt's interesting that behind every publicly acknowledged company, you see the mysterious shareholders. Not John, not Jack, but shareholders. :rolleyes:
they are not so mysterioys actually, institutional shareholders are public

The Vanguard Group, Capital Research & Management and SSgA Funds Management for example are shareholders of both companies, so they just combine their 2 stocks in one

www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/XILINX-INC-4917/company/
www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/ADVANCED-MICRO-DEVICES-I-19475876/company/
Posted on Reply
#12
z1n0x
It seems EU also approved it, so now they are waiting for China's decision.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment
Copyright © 2004-2021 www.techpowerup.com. All rights reserved.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners.