Friday, May 16th 2008

ASUS Official Response on GIGABYTE Faulty Claims

ASUS today issued a statement in regard to the GIGABYTE claims posted here.
It has come to our attention that a certain Taiwanese Motherboard Manufacturer has made false claims against ASUS motherboards. These claims have given rise to false information being communicated in both the mainstream media and technology channels. ASUS wishes to clarify the issues and so avoid any further confusion. After investigation, it is clear that this company in question made use of a sponsored gathering of local and international media to deliberately spread information that we consider both untrue and without credible verification. This “disinformation” is not only extremely damaging to ASUS but also completely misleading to the consumers.

ASUS reserves the right to take legal action against any individual, organization or corporation which creates or spreads such rumors.
Exclusive Feature 1: The world´s first energy saving motherboards now feature new generation EPU for ultimate energy savings and performance
ASUS, in September 2007, released the world´s first EPU energy saving motherboard. Now, the P5Q series utilizes the newest version of the EPU hardware based energy saving chip, which can detect current PC loadings in real time and automatically moderate the power supply for complete system level power savings.

Exclusive Feature 2: World´s first true 16-phase power design for ultimate durability and lowest power consumption
In order to achieve the best possible performance and energy savings, the ASUS P5Q series´ VRM voltage regulation module utilizes the ASUS exclusively designed true 16-phase power design; which features intelligent auto phase switching technology - when the CPU load increases, 16-phases are utilized, and during low CPU processing periods, it switches automatically to a responsive 4-phase system to power the CPU. This allows the ASUS P5Q to draw less power, thereby raising power efficiency and prolonging component lifespans for longer durability.

Exclusive Feature 3: All Japan-made conductive capacitors for low temperatures, stability and longer lifetimes
The ASUS P5Q utilizes 100% Japan-made conductive polymer capacitors for the whole motherboard, providing world-class stability, low temperatures, and reduces the risk of high voltages to the CPU – providing various ways to prolong component life-spans.

Exclusive Feature 4: 5 Seconds* from bootup to online with Express Gate
Many times, the PC is only switched on to access email, surf the Internet or chat with friends through instant messaging programs – so why waste precious minutes of your time just waiting for boot-up? In order to make PCs more accessible to people, ASUS has designed the exclusive Express Gate for rapid online access after bootup. In just 5 seconds, users will be able to enjoy Internet access, Skype calls, popular Instant Messengers (IM) like MSN or Yahoo Messenger, watch YouTube videos, view photos and check their emails – all without waiting to load Windows!

Exclusive Feature 5: 360° total protection for safety and data Security
The ASUS P5Q series utilizes 4 exclusive “Total Safety Features” to provide full 360° personal computing protection to cater to the safety of consumers and data security.

In regards to motherboard safety, ASUS has designed the Electrostatic Discharge Protection (ESD) and Overcurrent Protection features. The human body can build up electric static charges as high as a few kilovolts. When contact is made to electronic devices through the fingers, this charge can cause electrical damage to internal components. ASUS´ ESD Protection provides static electricity protection that surpasses the EU´s strict standards, especially for commonly used USB ports.

An overcurrent is a current that exceeds the amperage rating of the external device (flash memory, hard disks etc) or circuits (e.g. ICs). If an external device with a fauty circuit is connected to a PC, an overcurrent might occur and seriously damage components or the external device. ASUS´ Overcurrent Protection automatically detects such overcurrents, and acts to protect your external devices and other motherboard components.

Users usually store photos and music in their hard disks. Due to complex backup solutions and the long time taken for backups, users seldom find it easy to perform backups – even when using traditional RAID options. ASUS´ Drive Xpert makes it easy to perform data backups through a user-friendly graphical user interface, or enhance hard drive performances without the hassles of complicated configurations.

ASUS´ Data Guardian provides a secure and protected working environment for users – and secures the user´s personal data via TPM to create a virtual folder protected by an encryption key, and then stored on a USB portable drive. With Data Guardian, users will never worry about unauthorized usage, hackers and stolen hard disk drives ever again.

The ASUS P5Q series of motherboards has broken through a new level of computing –now motherboards can be safer, more efficient, more stable, more durable and provide system level power savings to help protect and save the earth!

* subject to user´s hardware and software configuration Source: ASUS
Add your own comment

75 Comments on ASUS Official Response on GIGABYTE Faulty Claims

#1
a111087
heh, now tell me who is lying?
Posted on Reply
#2
Exavier
It's like Asus are slamming Gigabyte just by calling them "a certain Taiwanese Motherboard Manufacturer"
feel the burn, haha
I don't think there's anything wrong with Asus at all, their new P45 lineup looks pretty nice tbh, as does the Formula series in X38/48..
Posted on Reply
#3
[I.R.A]_FBi
All that sounds like when i ask someone the time and they give me a history lesson.
Posted on Reply
#4
imperialreign
huh . . . ASUS is only talking about the P5Q series, although the high-end P5E series have EPU as well . . .


hmmm . . . I wonder why ASUS is only going on about it's new series . . . :wtf:
Posted on Reply
#5
[I.R.A]_FBi
imperialreign said:
huh . . . ASUS is only talking about the P5Q series, although the high-end P5E series have EPU as well . . .


hmmm . . . I wonder why ASUS is only going on about it's new series . . . :wtf:
exactly .. smoke and mirrors ... boo for ASSUS
Posted on Reply
#6
Silverel
Funny how their entire "response" just looks like a press release for a new product. Doesn't seem to be anything at all in here besides the quote. Whenever they would like to actually explain something, I'm sure we'll all be waiting.:laugh:

It's like Marketing is answering the Customer Service lines or something. :slap:
I don't want you to try and sell me the board again, just throw down some facts as to how Gigabyte is wrong.:shadedshu
Posted on Reply
#7
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
I like how ASUS did their anouncement with some class, and Gigabyte just came out and called them liars. I wouldn't buy a Gigabyte board anyway, but after their little childish stunt, I definitely don't want to give them any business.

It is one thing to talk about the compeition and present information in a classy method, it is another to just call them liars and attack them. Gigabyte's media stunt just backfired on them because it lost them respect from me, and I'm sure many others, and ASUS's response gained them more respect from me. Gigabyte's oriignal attack sounds like a fanboy postings on a forum.
Posted on Reply
#8
niko084
Was waiting for that one.... Wonder if we will see a slander suit.
Posted on Reply
#9
[I.R.A]_FBi
newtekie1 said:
I like how ASUS did their anouncement with some class, and Gigabyte just came out and called them liars. I wouldn't buy a Gigabyte board anyway, but after their little childish stunt, I definitely don't want to give them any business.

It is one thing to talk about the compeition and present information in a classy method, it is another to just call them liars and attack them. Gigabyte's media stunt just backfired on them because it lost them respect from me, and I'm sure many others, and ASUS's response gained them more respect from me. Gigabyte's oriignal attack sounds like a fanboy postings on a forum.
Classy, that asus release is classy yes but classy what? It does not address the problem.
Posted on Reply
#10
niko084
[I.R.A]_FBi said:
Classy, that asus release is classy yes but classy what? It does not address the problem.
Ya, thats exactly the problem... Although I do love the way they didn't directly quote that it was Gigabytes claims.

Malware --- your "Here" link is broken :)
Posted on Reply
#11
imperialreign
niko084 said:
Was waiting for that one.... Wonder if we will see a slander suit.
yeah, but the funny thing about it, though - from the articles I posted in the EPU vx DES thread, ASUS started this whole mess by calling GIGA as being liars and full of crap - they just did it under the table and quietly. GIGA responded publicly about it, and quite poorly at that, and now ASUS is acting all reserved and professional.

Both companies have stuck their foot in their mouth, IMO.


Other motherboard manufacturers need to hurry up with their high-end competition so that ASUS and GIGA can get back to work instead of acting childish and trying to prove the other is full of shit.
Posted on Reply
#12
OnionMan
newtekie1 said:
I like how ASUS did their anouncement with some class, and Gigabyte just came out and called them liars. I wouldn't buy a Gigabyte board anyway, but after their little childish stunt, I definitely don't want to give them any business.

It is one thing to talk about the compeition and present information in a classy method, it is another to just call them liars and attack them. Gigabyte's media stunt just backfired on them because it lost them respect from me, and I'm sure many others, and ASUS's response gained them more respect from me. Gigabyte's oriignal attack sounds like a fanboy postings on a forum.
I couldn't disagree more...:D

Asus gave a response that seems to be right from the side of the box.. WooHoo.. They haven't provided anything but words to back up their claims, where as Gigabyte (via Tom's Hardware) provided photos and a bit more tech. information..

I doubt a company as big as Gigabyte would just make something up like this to push sales in their direction.. There is too big of a risk of backfire for them if it's just an unsubstanciated claim.. Then the accused company does nothing to provide proof that things work.. Not to mention, Asus referenced a model that wasn't mentioned in the Tom's Hardware report.. Hmmmm

If Asus wanted to clear things up, they should have provided better information then what they did..
Posted on Reply
#13
niko084
imperialreign said:
yeah, but the funny thing about it, though - from the articles I posted in the EPU vx DES thread, ASUS started this whole mess by calling GIGA as being liars and full of crap - they just did it under the table and quietly. GIGA responded publicly about it, and quite poorly at that, and now ASUS is acting all reserved and professional.

Both companies have stuck their foot in their mouth, IMO.


Other motherboard manufacturers need to hurry up with their high-end competition so that ASUS and GIGA can get back to work instead of acting childish and trying to prove the other is full of shit.
I can agree with that, but at the same time nobody is going to catch them in the high end... DFI and a few other companies make nice boards no doubt, but they cannot touch the top tiers of Asus and Gigabyte.
Posted on Reply
#14
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
[I.R.A]_FBi said:
Classy, that asus release is classy yes but classy what? It does not address the problem.
The first statement addresses the issue.
Posted on Reply
#15
BigBruser13
asus response to giga

Where is the response Asus, and it's obvious that Asus has been found out, Giga could have used more tact but I'd rather they get to the point in plain English. Thank you Giga!
Posted on Reply
#17
KBD
[I.R.A]_FBi said:
Classy, that asus release is classy yes but classy what? It does not address the problem.
I have to agree with that statement. They are not responding to the accusations by Gigabyte, that makes me wonder if there is some truth to what Gigabyte said about Asus EPU.
Posted on Reply
#18
[I.R.A]_FBi
BigBruser13 said:
Where is the response Asus, and it's obvious that Asus has been found out, Giga could have used more tact but I'd rather they get to the point in plain English. Thank you Giga!
Exactly, how many ppl actually understand technical jargon, you have ppl who think an ati 9800 is faster than a Nvidia 9600GT
Posted on Reply
#19
niko084
OnionMan said:
I doubt a company as big as Gigabyte would just make something up like this to push sales in their direction.. There is too big of a risk of backfire for them if it's just an unsubstanciated claim.. Then the accused company does nothing to provide proof that things work.. Not to mention, Asus referenced a model that wasn't mentioned in the Tom's Hardware report.. Hmmmm
Actually slander in business is not unrare at all, you can easily sway people standing on a center line with a statement or even a direct lie. It happens a lot more than most people think, directly and indirectly. So no they would have very good reason to do it, a lot of times its even true just exploded to make sound much worse than it is.

It's all business, and business is cut throat.
Posted on Reply
#20
niko084
[I.R.A]_FBi said:
Ecs?
ECS makes decent mid line stuff, nothing high end..
Posted on Reply
#21
[I.R.A]_FBi
niko084 said:
ECS makes decent mid line stuff, nothing high end..
I did it for the lols.

Thread was getting abit high on tensions.

ABIT
Posted on Reply
#22
imperialreign
KBD said:
I have to agree with that statement. They are not responding to the accusations by Gigabyte, that makes me wonder if there is some truth to what Gigabyte said about Asus EPU.
the sad part about it, is that everyone already knew (well, review sites and those who've read up on it) how EPU worked before GIGA made their claim . . . which, in my eyes just made them appear childish and full of crap . . . until I stumbled upon these articles:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5490&Itemid=37
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6482&Itemid=37

and that seems to be were this bitching match got started:
Furthermore, Asus ridiculed Gigabyte's DES for using software, but it seems like Asus has some software of their own that you need to use to achieve this magical 96 percent power saving, called AI Gear3+. Otherwise, you won't see the full benefit of the EPU from what we gather from the press release.
like I mentioned, ASUS started this mess quietly, GIGA responded openly about it, although somewhat poorly and also made some wild accusations as well. As it stands, both companies have been caught with their pants round their ankles.
Posted on Reply
#23
OnionMan
niko084 said:
a lot of times its even true just exploded to make sound much worse than it is.

It's all business, and business is cut throat.
That I do agree with.. Exploded.. How much of a difference does this really make to the end user? How many of us really care? Sure energy savings is great, but how often do those 'first of its kind' actually work well.. It's usually the second or third gen. that works the best.. IDK, I'm just of the opinion that Asus is not being 100% honest with us, even if it was wrong for Gigabyte to make these claims.. This might be a different story if an unrelated third party (like TPU or Tom's) made this claim ALONE..
Posted on Reply
#24
niko084
OnionMan said:
That I do agree with.. Exploded.. How much of a difference does this really make to the end user? How many of us really care? Sure energy savings is great, but how often do those 'first of its kind' actually work well.. It's usually the second or third gen. that works the best.. IDK, I'm just of the opinion that Asus is not being 100% honest with us, even if it was wrong for Gigabyte to make these claims.. This might be a different story if an unrelated third party (like TPU or Tom's) made this claim ALONE..
Although many of us may not care, some big time "green company" may choose to buy gigabyte boards instead, which could lead to people that work there or on those systems to buy them and recomend them etc.. It all starts somewhere, more people will buy what their friends tell them is good than any advertisement these days.
Posted on Reply
#25
niko084
[I.R.A]_FBi said:
I did it for the lols.

Thread was getting abit high on tensions.

ABIT
Figured... Abit needs to get back into the game, they are not making bad stuff from what I have seen, but their support is lacking worse than anything I have ever seen recently, and they are not building the kind of quality they were in the socket 478 days.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment