Monday, April 27th 2009

Core i7 975 XE Breaks 5 GHz Barrier, With Air Cooling

Intel's newest high-end processor, the Core i7 975 Extreme Edition is gearing up for launch later this year, on course of which, it already passed a milestone. Xtreme Systems Forums member PcCI2iminal scored one with overclocking a Core i7 975 XE D0 stepping chip past the 5 GHz mark, 5015 MHz to be precise using only air cooling for the processor, with an ambient temperature of 20 °C as claimed by the overclocker. Its cooling was care of a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120. Its partners in crime were Biostar TPower X58 motherboard, and Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866 memory. At that speed, the setup made it through a CPU-Z validation. PcCI2iminal was further able to put the chip through SuperPi 1M at a speed of 4750 MHz, where its crunch time was measured 8.672 seconds. For more pictures and screenshots, head over to the thread at Xtreme Systems.
Add your own comment

53 Comments on Core i7 975 XE Breaks 5 GHz Barrier, With Air Cooling

#1
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
btarunr said:
Ok, bring them up. I'm sure they're Istanbul ES benchmarks that have no traces of "Phenom" in the name anywhere. You cannot use an ES to prove the Phenom FX point since the CPU vendor string can be manipulated.

Even then, the objective behind Istanbul is parallelism, not that a numerically high count of cores makes it better in the client platform. Again, there is no 6-core client CPU from AMD, in the foreseeable future.
they are on an AM3 board the Asus M4A79 ;)
Posted on Reply
#2
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
cdawall said:
they are on an AM3 board the Asus M4A79 ;)
Waiting for your benches. Not in this thread.

Back to topic.
Posted on Reply
#3
Assassin48
This isnt a AMD vs INTEL Thread so plz no more arguing this is just news that states they were able to hit 5ghz on intel on air which is nice for any chip

PLZ no more
Posted on Reply
#4
MilkyWay
i think that this will be pricey much like the extreme versions of intels

rapid tho this cpu is pure rapid
Posted on Reply
#5
DrPepper
The Doctor is in the house
MilkyWay said:
i think that this will be pricey much like the extreme versions of intels

rapid tho this cpu is pure rapid
Oh god I hate when scottish people say pure :laugh:

This will cost about 1k I think unless intel feels generous.
Posted on Reply
#6
Flyordie
@ Cdawall... don't mind bta, he has no internal sources at AMD. Also, there will be an FX-90 in August-September (around the launch of the HD5 series). Prelim results of the C3 Silicon put it at 4.4Ghz. (C3 clocks to 7Ghz on LN2).

As for the i7 reaching 5Ghz... that is a good feat but we don't want our cooling loops boiling water nor do we need a car radiator strapped to our PC's to cool it.
Posted on Reply
#7
TheGuruStud
Did anyone read anything? It can barely get a cpu-z shot w/o crashing. Notice there's not a benchmark at 5 ghz. He had to back it down to 4.75 just so a short pi run would pass. So, it's not even stable at that speed let alone 5 ghz. Lower it some more and that's the probably the stable rate. With the power that thing consumes it would overheat and throw an error if loaded too long.

Lame, intel trying to steal the limelight, but failed. If you can't at least run 3dmark for a while, then a suicide screenie is pointless. You can all get your pants wet when it FINISHES a benchmark.

edit: woo, i see he can superpi run in at 5. Load the cores for 5 mins and see what happens...
Posted on Reply
#8
Binge
Overclocking Surrealism
WhiteLotus said:
so these "special" chips, they just hand picked ones? So, if correct, this meant there could be other chips out there that are just as good, no?
They're just ES D0 975s... having a retail D0 920 I can assume the retail product will be just as good.
Posted on Reply
#9
Wile E
Power User
Flyordie said:
@ Cdawall... don't mind bta, he has no internal sources at AMD. Also, there will be an FX-90 in August-September (around the launch of the HD5 series). Prelim results of the C3 Silicon put it at 4.4Ghz. (C3 clocks to 7Ghz on LN2).

As for the i7 reaching 5Ghz... that is a good feat but we don't want our cooling loops boiling water nor do we need a car radiator strapped to our PC's to cool it.
This was done on air.

TheGuruStud said:
Did anyone read anything? It can barely get a cpu-z shot w/o crashing. Notice there's not a benchmark at 5 ghz. He had to back it down to 4.75 just so a short pi run would pass. So, it's not even stable at that speed let alone 5 ghz. Lower it some more and that's the probably the stable rate. With the power that thing consumes it would overheat and throw an error if loaded too long.

Lame, intel trying to steal the limelight, but failed. If you can't at least run 3dmark for a while, then a suicide screenie is pointless. You can all get your pants wet when it FINISHES a benchmark.

edit: woo, i see he can superpi run in at 5. Load the cores for 5 mins and see what happens...
Phenom II can't pull off those kind of clocks for 24/7 either. Who cares?
Posted on Reply
#10
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Wile E said:
This was done on air.



Phenom II can't pull off those kind of clocks for 24/7 either. Who cares?
no it cannot i can vouch for that this is a good clock no doubt about it no current AMD chip can compete with this at all 4.5ghz should be doable on water easy stable
Posted on Reply
#11
MKmods
Case Mod Guru
Biostar FTW!
Posted on Reply
#12
Agility
You guys must remember what chip is this. It's an extreme edition with an extreme price. A Quad Core extreme costs $2700+ in SGD. Yes that's hell. :shadedshu
Posted on Reply
#13
hat
Enthusiast
Blah. Big benchmark numbers are nice I guess but I really don't give a damn if I can't actually do anything aside from an 8 second super pi run with it. Considering all the i7s are 130w so far it wouldn't suprise me if this thing sucks up 200w with the voltage it would need to get to 5GHz. How much do you want to bet that the heatspreader of this processor has a bluish tint to it due to tempering?
Posted on Reply
#14
Binge
Overclocking Surrealism
Most OCed i7 920s can pull over 300W from the wall. :laugh: Try a bit more hat.
Posted on Reply
#16
Binge
Overclocking Surrealism
hahaha that's hardly the wattage you draw from the wall :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#17
Flyordie
After getting some helpful insight from a guy named "h-i-p-p-o" ...
Doesn't CPU-Z recognize threads correctly on the i7? HT is off, this is BS.
Posted on Reply
#18
_jM
Nice results.. makes me want one. But there is no way Im gonna pay the price Intel's putting on this bad boy. No sir. If Im correct the price range on this is over 1K.. correct?
Posted on Reply
#19
Hayder_Master
20c run at 1.52v , sure it is idle temp , one hour under prime 95 test and you can see the cpu jump out form the window
Posted on Reply
#20
Binge
Overclocking Surrealism
_jM said:
Nice results.. makes me want one. But there is no way Im gonna pay the price Intel's putting on this bad boy. No sir. If Im correct the price range on this is over 1K.. correct?
it's exactly $999

Flyordie said:
After getting some helpful insight from a guy named "h-i-p-p-o" ...
Doesn't CPU-Z recognize threads correctly on the i7? HT is off, this is BS.
Also what's your point? We can all see HT is off. You make a quad do 5 GHz on air and then you can go ahead and work it out so it does it with HT on.
Posted on Reply
#21
iStink
Binge said:
it's exactly $999



Also what's your point? We can all see HT is off. You make a quad do 5 GHz on air and then you can go ahead and work it out so it does it with HT on.
yeah i mean, at what point do you want bells and whistles over sheer brute force? Would a quad doing 4.5ghz w/ HT on be faster than a 5ghz quad with ht off? It seems like HT is just icing on the cake, not enough to warrant any complaints against a 5ghz quad lol
Posted on Reply
#22
DrPepper
The Doctor is in the house
hayder.master said:
20c run at 1.52v , sure it is idle temp , one hour under prime 95 test and you can see the cpu jump out form the window
:laugh::laugh: True

and HT is off. I've been trying to find any photoshop evidence on it, not looked too hard but I've got a feeling this isn't real. I'd like it to be real though.
Posted on Reply
#23
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
DrPepper said:
:laugh::laugh: True

and HT is off. I've been trying to find any photoshop evidence on it, not looked too hard but I've got a feeling this isn't real. I'd like it to be real though.
it has a valid link

Posted on Reply
#24
Binge
Overclocking Surrealism
iStink said:
yeah i mean, at what point do you want bells and whistles over sheer brute force? Would a quad doing 4.5ghz w/ HT on be faster than a 5ghz quad with ht off? It seems like HT is just icing on the cake, not enough to warrant any complaints against a 5ghz quad lol
There's mostly no difference in Vista, since the OS doesn't use threads correctly. In any case it would be faster in general unless you were rendering or something thread intensive like that.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment