Saturday, July 4th 2009

Windows 7 Confirmed to Hit RTM on July 13

It would appear as though rumours which surfaced around a month ago are going to be proved correct, as sources close to multiple technology sites have confirmed that Windows 7 will be released to manufacturing on 13th July. Although general availability is still not until 22nd October, this is a significant milestone as the RTM build will be the final code which also gets shipped to the general public later this year. As well as OEMs, the build should also be available to TechNet and MSDN subscribers and will also no doubtedly find its way on to torrent sites shortly after. The wait for Microsoft's highly anticipated operating system is less than four months away, but for many of us little more than a week of waiting stands in our way.Source: Neowin.net

136 Comments on Windows 7 Confirmed to Hit RTM on July 13

digibucc
kyle2020 said:
Fantastic. Honestly cannot wait to get a retail copy of this in my possession!
ditto
digibucc
MKmods said:
I just saw this (if it was already posted let me know and Il erase this, Im old and constantly miss stuff) Looks like a deal to me..

Win7 for $49 looks like a deal to me.
it depends on if you need the first os installed before upgrade, or just use both serial numbers (for me). I have a legit xp & vista key - but I am not going to reinstall both os' every time.
Mussels
Moderprator
it may be the same as vista, where you install without a key (7) and then "upgrade" that 7 to 7. its odd but it worked with vista.
wojo
I dont know how the vista upgrade worked but my xp upgrade I used the xp disc started the install and then it asked for a copy of 2000 or 98 to verify I had a copy. I would think that win 7 would be the same but with an xp or vista disc.
Bob
cray86
I wish Bill would just go 64-bit. A lot of recent box computers are running it anymore, I'm suprised at work when computers less than a year old come in, a suprising number are 64-bit. Snow Leopard put Mac OS X in the 64-bit field, I would of hoped Bill could of pushed the envelope with Home Premium and up Win 7, but I guess we will wait and get another 32/64bit spread on Windows 8.
jmcslob
*weighs options*

Windows Vista SP2... or ...Windows Seven RTM.
If you buy VISTA now you get a WINDOWS 7 upgrade coupon YAY!!!
cray86
jmcslob said:
If you buy VISTA now you get a WINDOWS 7 upgrade coupon YAY!!!
And they don't define which one it upgrades to either! Thanks Bill!
Dippyskoodlez
cray86 said:
And they don't define which one it upgrades to either! Thanks Bill!
I would imagine home->Home, business->Business, and ult->Ult.

Since business can't upgrade to Win7 Home, etc. etc.
Mussels
Moderprator
cray86 said:
intel atom.
Dippyskoodlez
Mussels said:
intel atom.
Vista. :eek:

Microsoft's gonna support it for another 10 years anyways.
Mussels
Moderprator
Dippyskoodlez said:
Vista. :eek:

Microsoft's gonna support it for another 10 years anyways.
the thing is, atom is 32 bit only. Atom platforms are popular and a booming industry, but they tend to have 1GB of ram and small, slow drives... so its the perfect candidate for windows 7. IMO, win 7 should have had x86 cap out at home premium.
Triprift
IM gonna have to agree with MailMan as i think 7 is basically Vista sp2 with a few tweaks and it probably wont truelly shine until sp1. I might be wrong and it might be the greatest release ever staight out the box ect and if it is ill tip my hat to ms on a job welldone but till then im skeptical. And finally Kyle or anyone else who dont agree thats fine just dont bite my head off and be like a pack of piranhas attacking a ham. Thats what hate about these threads as soon as has someone has an opinion other than the majority its like feeding time.
Dippyskoodlez
Mussels said:
Hence why you use/leave Vista 32 for those systems?

Instead, their 64 bit windows 7 is bloated by about 12Gb of Windows 32 files.

Look at HDD composition of a Windows 7 64 install. I dare you. Windows 7 is the last thing you want on a netbook with limited space.

I had 14gb from a Vista system restore, 12Gb of Windows 32 bit files, and 12Gb of Windows x64 files.

DO NOT USE AN IN PLACE UPGRADE. (Or else windows eats 14+Gb of your drive....)

Nothanks.
Dippyskoodlez
alexp999 said:
So your saying that because there are no APPLE MAC 64-bit drivers, MS havent pulled their heads out for 64-bit? IMO MS have done a great job for 64-bit, there is not one device i cannot find a 64-bit driver for, even my 10 something year old printer has a 64-bit driver by MS, lol
Actually, it's realtek thats dragging ass. But hey, blame apple if you want.

I also like having an extra 25Gb of hdd space.
jmcslob
YEAH
Hence why you use/leave Vista 32 for those systems?
yeah
I don't care about netbooks and i wont until they are 64bit and can play my games, when they do I'll buy one. I know 6 owners of those turds,and they all did the same thing
1) bought it cause it was neat
2)felt restricted due to hardware
3) put on a shelf/put it up on ebay
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Triprift said:
runs good out of the box on this old Machine here.
alexp999
Staff
TheMailMan78 said:
Its the same damn thing. I don't get you guys. They took out a few programs and changed the GUI. SAME DAMN OS! FYI don't think I've forgotten you stole my story.

I love smart asses like yourself. You always talk yourself into a hole. Ill be buying Windows7 the day it comes out due to DX11. But I'm not going to jump around like a gay parade claiming it to be a new OS. Ill leave that to guys like you.
Get over yourself, I did not steal your story and thats the end of it.

Easy Rhino said:
it is upgrade only for that low price.
Its for Full Retail in the UK. At the moment there is no upgrade version of Windows 7 E.
DaveK
Mussels said:
i take it you havent run the beta or RC yet then?

I've ran it on two of my systems, my housemates have it on their two machines, and i know of about 4 other lanners with it personally. None have had driver issues, except for creative users... and who cares about them, creative ALWAYS have these problems so people need to learn to deal with that.
I haven't had any problems with Creative on Windows 7.

I also haven't had problems with other drivers, if people actually tried Windows 7 they would see that.
Mussels
Moderprator
DaveK said:
I haven't had any problems with Creative on Windows 7.

some people have had severe issues with win7 and creative - or so they say, i have no creative cards installed so i dont know first hand.
alexp999
Staff
Mussels said:
Dont people just have severe problems with creative full stop? :ohwell:
hat
Enthusiast
Some people have severe issues with Creative without any help from Windows 7 :D

Anyways hard drives are so big I really don't give two craps how big Windows is. I might if I were using SSDs though...
DaveK
Hmm, well it's working fine for me, worked fine on Vista too :confused:

As for Win 7, I don't see why people are hating on it, I love it. It runs great but not when you only have 1GB of RAM lol

I lost my Win 7 disc so I need to download it again to put on a spare computer, does the Microsoft site have a download link? Torrents are too slow. What's the latest legit version?
Mussels
Moderprator
DaveK said:
Hmm, well it's working fine for me, worked fine on Vista too :confused:

i dont think you can download it from MS anymore. and torrents are fast, so long as you arent getting it from crap sites like piratebay.
devguy
Using the Daniel_k drivers with the DDL Audio pack, they work almost flawlessly in Windows 7. I say almost as ocassionally (still rarely), the DDL craps out for about 2 seconds and then returns. It is irritating, but not that big a deal.

As for the Atom, what in the world was intel thinking only letting the desktop versions of the atom have the AMD64 (or whatever intel calls there clone of it) instructions? That was a pretty lame move. Granted I think that most wouldn't use them now, but it could haunt them in the future like the issues with Aero + intel notsoExtreme Graphics around the windows Vista launch.

BTW, got my Home Premium preordered from Newegg! Although I really wish us Americans could have the option of getting those EU versions without the WMP / IE8...