• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Retailers think that Steam is killing PC market

System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard MSI X370 Pro Carbon
Cooling Air
Memory G-skill Flare x 16GB 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Storage Intel 600p NVMe 512GB for OS , 1TB WD Black and a 4TB Toshiba
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Logitech G403 wired
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
I love STEAM. Retailers need to get over it and compete or be swallowed up.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
STEAM:
Don't have to leave the house...
Automatic Updates...
Can easily backup games...
Great prices (on their sales at least)...

What's not to like?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Hardly. Video game retailers within 2hrs of where I live have barely any PC games. And if they do, it's either flooded with The Sims, SC2 or CoD, with no alternatives.
Retailers are doing this to themselves, they offer us a small handful of games at outrageous prices ($100+). And sure you can order in games, but that takes a few days minimum if not a week; even ADSL1 can download games faster than that.

Steam on the other hand, has how many games? A couple thousand? All easily browsable and purchasable, even with links to a demo in a lot of cases. Then you've got the overlay with Friends, so you can talk to people who aren't in your current game, and so you can talk to said people without having to even be ingame. And they've got sales EVERY WEEK, more often than not on big name titles or bundles.

I can see why retailers are QQing. They should stick to consoles, since that's the direction they're taking anyway.

You misunderstood what I was saying. I'm asking if the scenario I painted for the odd pricing we see sounds reasonable to others. It's more of a rhetorical question, as it is a reasonable scenario. Your point actually reinforces what I said! :)

System Name PBD
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus III Gene
Cooling Corsair H-50-1
Memory 4 x 4096mb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Cas7
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU TOP
Storage Crucial 256GB SSD (system) + 2x Samsung F3 1TB (storage) + 2x 2TB Raid-1 NAS (backup)
Display(s) Dell SP2309w 23" 2048x1152
Case Antec Max Fusion Remote
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win 7 Pro x64
This is just the last gasps of a dying business. Steam is not killing the PC market; same as others here, I have spent much more on games thanks to Steam than anything else. With a fiance that isn't too fond of my gaming habits sometimes, being able to click a few buttons and get a game downloaded in an hour or so is much easier for me than justifying the shelf space being taken up by another game.
I think I have 50+ games on Steam & EADM and just 5 on physical media.

Regarding Steam's hard-drive Nazism: I think the Steam software will mature and become more flexible over time, allowing you to store games where you want. They are probably aware of all of these types of concerns and are coding solutions for them as we speak - but it will be a matter of making sure the platform is stable first and foremost.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Apparently you can find hacked Steam games on The Pirate Bay and similar sites that don't need the Steam client. However, they're missing all the good stuff from a legitimate copy, such as updates, online play and community features.

So much for claims that DRM is ineffective, especially Steam DRM. :ohwell:

It's a hacked game, thats all, anything can be hacked when you don't allow it to connect to the internet to verify anything, but don't expect to play multiplayer on it.

System Name Devil's Canyon PC build
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-G1 Gaming WIFI-BK
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Black Edition Air Cooler, 2x Akasa 120mm PWN Piranha Fans (push-pull config)
Memory Patriot Viper 3 "Black Mamba" 32GB (4x8GB), 2133MHz, C11-11-11-30, 1.5v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce X3 GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 (Non-Pascal)
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 8TB Archive HDD, 2TB Samsung M9T HDD
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift 27" 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower - Black, 3x230mm Bitfenix SPECTRE PRO, 1x120mm Bitfenix PWN (SP)
Power Supply Seasonic 660W Platinum Certified Modular
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
I decided to look at some users comments about pricing for games with how some games from Steam can be cheaper or more expensive than games in retail stores.

The overall fact is older games are generally cheaper in retail stores than it is on Steam and newer games are usually cheaper on Steam than it is in retail stores. The main problem here is Steam doesn't usually decrease the price of individual games over a long period of time and would only offer them at a cheaper price during their sales or if they are in bundles which of course is something that Steam would have to improve on to be completely better than retail stores.

The most obvious example of a game being cheaper in retail store than Steam would be Assassin's Creed - Director's Cut; with the game legit I can buy it for £5 in a retail store where with Steam (if I'm not mistaken) charges around £20 for it.

As for an example of a new game being cheaper in Steam than a retail store at standard pricing the only price differences I've seen is the game being around £5 or £10 cheaper than the retail store which isn't much in terms of money, but it's real value would come from the fact that the game is registered into your profile's library where you can always re-download it when switching computers and it is updated to the latest version which is more useful for playing older games which could only be fully updated by downloading the patch(s) and applying it yourself or new games which still follow the older game's way of updating with applying patches.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I decided to look at some users comments about pricing for games with how some games from Steam can be cheaper or more expensive than games in retail stores.

The overall fact is older games are generally cheaper in retail stores than it is on Steam and newer games are usually cheaper on Steam than it is in retail stores. The main problem here is Steam doesn't usually decrease the price of individual games over a long period of time and would only offer them at a cheaper price during their sales or if they are in bundles which of course is something that Steam would have to improve on to be completely better than retail stores.

The most obvious example of a game being cheaper in retail store than Steam would be Assassin's Creed - Director's Cut; with the game legit I can buy it for £5 in a retail store where with Steam (if I'm not mistaken) charges around £20 for it.

As for an example of a new game being cheaper in Steam than a retail store at standard pricing the only price differences I've seen is the game being around £5 or £10 cheaper than the retail store which isn't much in terms of money, but it's real value would come from the fact that the game is registered into your profile's library where you can always re-download it when switching computers and it is updated to the latest version which is more useful for playing older games which could only be fully updated by downloading the patch(s) and applying it yourself or new games which still follow the older game's way of updating with applying patches.
I paid 8 US dollars for Assassins Creed: DC. on Steam. I also bought every iD game ever made for 50 bucks off of Steam. Do that in a retail store ;)

FYI Steam does reduce prices all the time. Just look at BC2. Its all up to the developer.

Weekend deals FTW!

System Name Devil's Canyon PC build
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-G1 Gaming WIFI-BK
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Black Edition Air Cooler, 2x Akasa 120mm PWN Piranha Fans (push-pull config)
Memory Patriot Viper 3 "Black Mamba" 32GB (4x8GB), 2133MHz, C11-11-11-30, 1.5v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce X3 GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 (Non-Pascal)
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 8TB Archive HDD, 2TB Samsung M9T HDD
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift 27" 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower - Black, 3x230mm Bitfenix SPECTRE PRO, 1x120mm Bitfenix PWN (SP)
Power Supply Seasonic 660W Platinum Certified Modular
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
@TheMailMan78

Unfortunately that is what I saw on my Steam only yesterday with Assassin's Creed - Director's Cut through doing a quick research to see whether it was worth having all of the Assassin's Creed games on Steam or just to stick with the hard copies I already have which I don't have any problems with (seeing as they both update themselves through their own version updater).

I guess I will hope for the time being that this isn't something which is location related as it wouldn't appear good to me if people in the US can get the same game on Steam at a considerably cheaper price. :(

I guess I will have to take your point with the developers though as it is certainly a fact that if the developers get a lot of sales on a game they would usually then sell it for less over a period of time when their sales of the game start to decrease.

As for bundles that is where Steam kills the retail stores, especially if you look at the Valve pack which includes the counter strike releases along with Left 4 Dead 1 & 2.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
imo steam is saving the pc game industry there are several old games I would have pirated if steam didn't offer them for 9.95$ budlles with 5 games in the series. At 2$ a pop it wasn't worth the effort to pirate.

plus some of my older discs have already stopped reading. If I get a game on steam I can always play it, no need to worry about scratched discs. Also if i go to a lan and don't have a paticular game installed and I only have it on disc, I'm screwed. If I have it on steam it's a 10 minute download.

leonard_222003

System Name Home
Processor Q6600 @ 3300
Motherboard Gigabyte p31 ds3l
Cooling TRUE Intel Edition
Memory 4 gb x 800 mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 560
Storage WD 1x250 gb Seagate 2x 1tb
Display(s) samsung T220
Case no name
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply chieftec 550w
Software Windows 7 64
STEAM:
Don't have to leave the house...
Automatic Updates...
Can easily backup games...
Great prices (on their sales at least)...

What's not to like?
Having bought from them like 20 games and getting VAC banned from 5-6 because you joined some MW2 server that is modded but you didn't knew , go on some steam forums about vac bans and you will be shocked what a vicious circle you will end up in if you get involved with steam games that use VAC2 , they hand out bans now for some of the stupidest things.
I hear storyes about people who didn't touched a thing in their HDD and got banned and unbanned by steam ( lucky ones ) , a simple virus that modifies exe files can get you banned and render half your games not playbale online , a skin that is not approved by them can get you banned.
I played TF2 for about 2 years no problem , i installed a new windows wich was a bit questionably ( "fixed" one ) and i think it had a key logger in it , got my account stolen and after i solved the problem and got it back it was vac banned , read the vac2 shit and i understood i coudln't do antyhing to solve my problem , this rendered a long list of games unplayabale online , and this is how i ditched steam.
They've built a system wich is very profitable for them and for the developers , not only because the obvious you can get them cheaper and faster online , but because at some point they can ban your paid game and if you like that game you will buy it again , it's a joke running around that MW2 still sells welll even now because of how many kids get banned and buy the game again and again.
I see some lawsuits coming to steam because more and more people claim they were banned for no reason and VAC2 offers no proof of what you did , they convict you of crimes( cheating ) but they don't tell you the crimes , they leave you wondering if the kid played with cheats on your account , maybe someone stoled your account , maybe some virus , maybe maybe.... and this makes some people say forget it , maybe it is my fault , i'll buy it again.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Having bought from them like 20 games and getting VAC banned from 5-6 because you joined some MW2 server that is modded but you didn't knew , go on some steam forums about vac bans and you will be shocked what a vicious circle you will end up in if you get involved with steam games that use VAC2 , they hand out bans now for some of the stupidest things.
I hear storyes about people who didn't touched a thing in their HDD and got banned and unbanned by steam ( lucky ones ) , a simple virus that modifies exe files can get you banned and render half your games not playbale online , a skin that is not approved by them can get you banned.
I played TF2 for about 2 years no problem , i installed a new windows wich was a bit questionably ( "fixed" one ) and i think it had a key logger in it , got my account stolen and after i solved the problem and got it back it was vac banned , read the vac2 shit and i understood i coudln't do antyhing to solve my problem , this rendered a long list of games unplayabale online , and this is how i ditched steam.
They've built a system wich is very profitable for them and for the developers , not only because the obvious you can get them cheaper and faster online , but because at some point they can ban your paid game and if you like that game you will buy it again , it's a joke running around that MW2 still sells welll even now because of how many kids get banned and buy the game again and again.
I see some lawsuits coming to steam because more and more people claim they were banned for no reason and VAC2 offers no proof of what you did , they convict you of crimes( cheating ) but they don't tell you the crimes , they leave you wondering if the kid played with cheats on your account , maybe someone stoled your account , maybe some virus , maybe maybe.... and this makes some people say forget it , maybe it is my fault , i'll buy it again.

You used a bootleg copy of windows. Nothing to see here. Case closed. Move along.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
actually the steam games still get updates to and new exe's after every patch steam is just as fail in that regard as well it dosent stop squat really

steam excells at giving people what they do want tho aka achievements and all that bullcrap

me steam is just a tool i hate it i prefer physical copy but i cant refuse steams pricing etc. I can say that some games that are on steam and can be bought without needed steam I will always take the non steam version as a gamer who likes mods i hate the fact that steam fucks up alot of mods on some games. I also dislike the fact i cant specify where to put my games they all go to a generic steam folder. Some games Id prefer to have on a different HDD but cant do that with steam. Theres draw backs and in general i still prefer physical Disk, but even i cant deny digital is the way things are going to go and steam does better then the rest so i cant really complain in that sense. Altho i do like Impulse....

I can argue for the HDD deal. I have a 150GB Velociraptor as my main drive, and it's getting quite full. It would be nice if I could redirect some games to my storage drive.

1)i've never had steam screw up my mods. if you leave auto-update on , yeah it can happen - so turn it off. if you are modding chances are you don't want the updates anyway , and any game can screw up mods when updating - steam or not.

2)you can install any game wherever you want. google mklink, aka symbolic link

System Name Old Skool
Processor E6750 @ 3.6 ghz
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v
Memory 4gb Kingston DDR2 @ 900mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 9800GT 512MB
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Display(s) VIEWSONIC vx2260wm
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek (on board) + Logitech x540
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
Steam is great, don't get me wrong. But there's something I'm pretty pissed off though, how can a game which doesn't come with a box cost the same/more on steam than whats sitting on shelves? Bearing in mind they didn't pay shipping/gas or whatever there is to it.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Steam has its pros and cons. but i personally prefer to be able to buy and install a game off a disc then wait upto 3-6hrs for a 11Gb game to download (go figure - MW2) and it infuriates me to no end when steam choses to download the game files online rather then install off the disc first then grab whatever updates it needs.

steam always has lots of deals going - but theres a 'steam deals' thread here at TPU here where certain deals are only available to US players and Euro/UK players have to pay the full amount - so theres no discount for us (most of you have already told me to jump country or QQ moar) which i think is f**king retarded on such a platform - everyone uses the same steam program - why not make the discounts/deals eligible for EVERYONE even those in Europe/UK.

ontop of that - steam doesnt always offer the best value for new games - often selling games at full RRP (£44.99) on day of release unlike Game or Gamestation which from my observation has managed to undercut steam by almost £10 or more almost 99% of the time - so if i want a new game on day of release - i go to Game or Gamestation.

steam will kick the price down eventually but not until a few weeks or months after the initial rush probably as part of a 'pack deal' if its a sequel e.g. battlefield pack, CoD pack.

as for it killing the market - it depends on how lazy people are. and people are very lazy but I go where i can get the best value and it costs me nothing to cycle into town where there are a fair few shops selling games open.

So no - steam is not killing the market - their only being discriminitory by not making deals/discounts available to everyone reguardless of what region of the world they are from. thats my only real gripe.

otherwise i did by killingfloor for £3 and it is most excellent.

-------

theres a lot to bitch about steam. but it works needless to say.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Steam is convenient, well run for the most part and basically the only form of DRM that I'm willing to put up with.

Use of overly stringent DRM and more emphasis on consoles are hurting the pc gaming industry. The shops didn't suddenly stop stocking physical copies of games: the same developers who are wingeing about Steam stopped producing physical copies, focusing their efforts on X-Box and PlayStation titles, which are easier for them to produce, whilst referring to rampant piracy figures as an attempt to justify their increasing neglect of the pc gamer.

My only complaint with regards to Steam is that Valve allows other companies to use third-party DRM, but at least they advertise this fact, albeit in a manner that is sometimes not as conspicuous as I would like.

Moreover, I don't think that pc gaming is as unhealthy as some people would have us believe: certainly some of the "big names" may be making a sudden exit in the future, but on the basis of their recent offerings, that may not be such a bad thing and the industry will adapt and evolve without their contribution. In any event, even if we accept that the pc gaming industry could be healthier, I fail to see how Steam is in any way exacerbating this situation.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
retailers are also forgetting etailers like newegg.com. while I don't necessarily go straight there for a game purchase I will buiy games form them when i get new hardware from them. It's a "look at how cool this new game looks on my new rig" thing.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
i've never had steam screw up my mods.

What kind of mods are we talking? Like a game that has mod support built in? I've found mods with games that aren't designed to be modded tend not to work with steam versions because the files they rely on are different from retail. It might be better now that steam is so popular as modders might make two versions of their mods... but I know in the past at least it was a major detractor for steam.

Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
What kind of mods are we talking? Like a game that has mod support built in? I've found mods with games that aren't designed to be modded tend not to work with steam versions because the files they rely on are different from retail. It might be better now that steam is so popular as modders might make two versions of their mods... but I know in the past at least it was a major detractor for steam.

ahh i see, yes in the case that they depend on retail versions they don't work. i was referring to basically any other mod that doesn't require the retail version for whatever reason.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
In the near future you will only be able to get software of any kind through digital downloads including console titles and application software. That's just the way it will be.
Whether you love it or hate it makes no difference.

I can't find a retail copy of GPU-Z anywhere. Had to download it. ;)

Last edited:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Steam is great, don't get me wrong. But there's something I'm pretty pissed off though, how can a game which doesn't come with a box cost the same/more on steam than whats sitting on shelves? Bearing in mind they didn't pay shipping/gas or whatever there is to it.

Because the big boys (Walmart, Gamespot, etc) wouldn't allow it to be any other way. If a company like Activision said "hey were going to sell COD for $10 less on Steam because the cost to produce and move the product is non-existant". Those companies would turn around and say, "don't expect your games to have a spot on our shelves."

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
and yes thats what i ment digibucc theres alot of games that have mods but dont really have mod support where if you own the steam version and not retail your screwed same goes for community patches when developers neglect the game in some cases steam results in being burdened by a game that never gets an update and you cant get community updates.

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Why should I spend my hard earned money in a shop that has 5 rows of both PS3 and 360 games and a single solitary line of pc games? they can suck my balls, they sold out pc gamers long ago, now there whining we don't buy from them :nutkick:

Why should I spend my hard earned money in a shop that has 5 rows of both PS3 and 360 games and a single solitary line of pc games? they can suck my balls, they sold out pc gamers long ago, now there whining we don't buy from them :nutkick:

the story is more about other digital distributors, the way i see it being upset that people prefer Steam over them, and want to force publishers to release a "steam free" version for other digital distributors, saying nothing about boxed copies.

regardless, i agree 100% with your statement.

gunsmoke

System Name OLD SCHOOL
Processor E6300 1.8 Gig
Motherboard ASUS P5VD2-X rev 0501
Cooling air
Memory 1 x 512 ddr2 1 x 1024 dd2
Video Card(s) ATI hd 3870 PCI-E
Storage 200 Gig ide/ 160 ide / 80 ide / 160 sata
Display(s) samsung
Case Thermaltake Armor Case VA8000
Audio Device(s) on bored
Power Supply 560w silverstone
Software win 7 32 bit
Benchmark Scores no time for benchmarking
So lets say i have 100 plus games on my hard drive from Steam web site.
And steam put D.R.M in the games.
If my hard drive dies on me and craps out can i not get my games back just
By downloading them again from Steam.?
I don,t use Steam so its all new two me this

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Yeah, that pisses me off too and I think my previous post answers your question nicely:

I have to agree with the other posters here that Steam isn't killing the PC market and the bricks and mortar stores don't like it because they're cut out of the loop. They're effectively obsolete and out of business, so there's no way they'll ever go for this.

What I don't understand, is why you get games released on a physical DVD that require Steam activation, such Fallout: New Vegas. Other than someone that wants to have the box to put on the shelf (like me!) there's no purpose to it other than to keep the B&M stores in business.

I know people use the argument that it saves on download times, but I don't think that this is a compelling argument any more. You still have to significantly update the game after installing it from DVD and most people today have reasonably quick broadband connections. Even a lowly 1 or 2Mb service would do.

The only reason I can find at all, is that the direct from Steam price has a habit of being higher than getting the DVD copy, which is nuts and somewhat profiteering on Steam's part. In the case of Fallout: New Vegas, it's currently £30 from Steam and £24 from Amazon. :wtf: I've looked up a few other games and in each case, they're cheaper to get the DVD.

Ok, now I think about it as I write this post, I believe I know why. If Steam simply priced those games at reasonable prices and cheaper than the DVD copy, nobody would by the DVD copy and the stores would go out of business.

By pricing it higher, Steam get to charge a premium for the convenience of not having to run out or order the DVD online and have to wait. The stores then charge for the DVD copy at a more reasonable price, which people will buy if they want to save the money and are prepared to wait or drive down to the store. And the other reason why Steam is happy, is because they get a cut of this revenue, too.

Sound reasonable? :)