• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To: Enable SLI on pre-i7/i5 hardware

... Continued games on nVidias part to block it will most certainly end up becoming issues with actual SLI users, so hopefully they end up understanding that such a low-percentage of users would go this route that it is not worth affecting actual SLI-certified users. Heck, if nVidia truely doesn't have any chipset plans for the future, why would they care?

The number of users will rise ;). Fortunately nVidia has no much options to prevent "SLI hack" excet implementing more complicated hardware ID's chek in their own drivers. (That can be fooled).
The physX "problem" with ATI hardware in the system is already solved and isn't problem anymore :D.
And finaly: "Heck, if nVidia truely doesn't have any chipset plans for the future, why would they care?" - the answer is very simple and clear... because they (nVidia) love their own customers and want to fu*k them infinitely :laugh:, instead of earning 5$ for SLI certificate on every single P45, X38, X48 board.

Last edited:

hdcore

First I want to say thank you to all who are working on the project. I just have a couple questions: 1. If Everest doesn't show the Asus cert in the DSDT table but showes it in my dsdt_AS225131.dsl file at the bottom of the file, does it mean its installed correctly? 2. My identical evga 8800gts's have different bios revisions could that make a difference in the stability problem I'm having? Thanks :)

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
:cry:What could i possible do to get sli working in VISTA 32-bit right now.

Ive downloaded SLIC string installer, and generic 190.62 hardrives and disabled UAC forever.

Ive installed it and inserted modifed driver file and such to get it to register yet no go?

What can i possible do to get sli working on this OS

P45 and 2 GTX 260's right now

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
System Name el'lappy|Cruncher | Cruncher 2
Processor intel C2D T6400 | i7 3770k @4.2ghz | AII X2 220 @3.4ghz
Motherboard some Acer | Asus P8Z77-V Pro |Gigabyter GA-M61p-S3
Cooling dual 80mm cooling fan | WC'ing ) |cheapo
Memory 2x2gb ddr3 | 2x2gb Ripjaws 1600 |4x512mb D9s
Video Card(s) onboard | 60 1GB(hd7770 ) |8800GTS
Storage Momuntus xt 320gb |Kingston Hyper X 120gb SATA III|500gb WD
Display(s) 17in | 42" 1080P HD 3D TV
Case lappy case | CM HAF XB |none yet
Audio Device(s) onboard | onboard | onboard
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Software Windows 7 Ult. 64bit---->------->

Ive downloaded SLIC string installer, and generic 190.62 hardrives and disabled UAC forever.

Ive installed it and inserted modifed driver file and such to get it to register yet no go?

I couldn't get it to work under any 32bit OS. but 64bit was super easy.. i know some people have reported getting it to work under 32bit OS but i myself haven't.. Good luck and sorry i wasn't much help :toast:

sveetsnelda

You used the ASUS SLIC, right? Maybe this was already asked...

When I patched the driver, I forced the driver to use an ASUS subsys ID (therefore, your SLIC needs to be a licenced for ASUS.

sveetsnelda

The gloating "hehe" is the issue. Totally unnecessary. If you had a break-thru, then post the details.

Sorry, some of us are a bit more mature and really don't need some of the stupidity, that is all.
Why do you automatically thing that "hehe" means "I have this, you dont"?

He's happy that progress has been made and that it is working without the driver being modified. Chill out, get some patience, and wait for us to make a proper release instead of a complicated one.

sveetsnelda

Actually, I would rather them post up the details of what is being worked on and how, etc... It all will be exposed once it is released, so anything having to do with nVidia is moot.
Do you have any idea how long it takes to reverse engineer a driver? If we post up the details of what has been changed and how the protection was circumvented, do you think it's easier for them to read this information or is it easier for them to reverse engineer our code? This doesn't mean it's impossible for them to figure it out, but they would need a skilled programmer and a decent amount of time.

If you're that eager to have a working 195 driver, go spend 80+ hours and do it yourself before we release it.

TheWolf

System Name TheWolf
Processor Q9650/Q9550
Motherboard Abit IP35ProXE/IX38QuadGT
Cooling Big Typhoon x4
Memory G-Skill/A-Data/SuperTalent
Video Card(s) 3x MSI 260GTX OC 2x216 1x192 shaders
Storage Hitachi 80gb x2
Display(s) Norcent/Neovo
Case none/benching stations
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Crosair TX650W
Software XP/W7
why do beta fixes, they may make changes before the final release.
Plus they already know about it & it has been tested.

coolmiester

OK after getting Sli to work on a few Supermicro boards including X8DAi and X8DAH+-F i'm now going to attempt it on an Intel S5520SC Shady Cove

Would anyone have any specific info i need to follow and what drivers to use??

Thanks again :toast:

dbphelps

Do you have any idea how long it takes to reverse engineer a driver? If we post up the details of what has been changed and how the protection was circumvented, do you think it's easier for them to read this information or is it easier for them to reverse engineer our code? This doesn't mean it's impossible for them to figure it out, but they would need a skilled programmer and a decent amount of time.

If you're that eager to have a working 195 driver, go spend 80+ hours and do it yourself before we release it.

Actually, I did not mean to come off as ungracious in regards to this. Your hard work is appreciated by all.

In regards to TiN and hte "hehe" comment, I did not know he was aprt of the development team working on this. If he is not and just a tester, then he is, again out of line for posting something like that. If not, and he did some work and had a breakthru, it could have been expressed quite differently, that is all.

Also, been doing development/programming/hacking LOOONG before most around here (since the 1980s actually), so I know what it takes to reverse engineer, code, develop and produce a 'clean' piece of work for something like this. My comment about nVidia is I am certian there is someone that works there that can look at the hack and know exactly how it is approached and implimented, that is all. Unless all 'holes' are accounted for, and all contigencies are programmed for, they usually will make another set of checks on those things and will eventually make it so it as an even extremely complex hack won't allow this to work on systems they don't want it to (I mean they could start checking processor configs, chipsets, BIOS stuff, etc, etc, but that would mean they are locking themselves to those architectures and making potential driver issues for 'normal' users in doing that)...

So, by all means, keep up the good work. Again it is greatly appreciated by all of us partaking in this. And again, no disrespect was intended, just that if there is information to share, why not share it other than posting a screenshot with a "hehe" attached. Honestly, a description stating that it is up and running would have sufficed, that is all...

Again, TiN, no offense taken at all... It's all good... Thanks for the hard work! ;)

coolmiester

OK after getting Sli to work on a few Supermicro boards including X8DAi and X8DAH+-F i'm now going to attempt it on an Intel S5520SC Shady Cove

Would anyone have any specific info i need to follow??

Thanks again

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft

I need help, look at the screen shot for any info, i need to get sli working on this vista 32-bit Sp1 package :twitch:

Downloading XP 64-bit so i can hack's sli like nothing. Probably will sove problem haahahaha

Last edited:

sveetsnelda

We need you to scroll up in the registry editor to see the actual SLIC string. Scroll up until you see something like "987134512781Genuine NVIDIA Certified SLI Ready Motherboard for ASUS RAMPAGE II EXT 3287-Copyright 2008 NVIDIA Corporation All Rights Reserved-765289891023 (R)".

sveetsnelda

Please also go into device manager, double click the entry for one of your video cards, and go to the driver tab. After that, click the "Driver details" button and scroll down to find "C:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys". It should *not* have a signature icon next to it, and it should say "Not digitally signed" at the bottom of the window when you click on it (since you are trying to use the modified driver). If it actually *is* signed and says "Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility" for the Digital Signer, windows is not using the modified driver.

sveetsnelda

Actually, I did not mean to come off as ungracious in regards to this. Your hard work is appreciated by all.

In regards to TiN and hte "hehe" comment, I did not know he was aprt of the development team working on this. If he is not and just a tester, then he is, again out of line for posting something like that. If not, and he did some work and had a breakthru, it could have been expressed quite differently, that is all.
I see. No problem. I could have been more diplomatic in my approach, also. You may not know that TiN's primary language is not English and his intentions are good. He's not the type of person to some in here and gloat. His "hehe" meant "hell yes, we've got this running and are getting closer guys" -- not "hehe, I have this and you don't".

My comment about nVidia is I am certian there is someone that works there that can look at the hack and know exactly how it is approached and implimented, that is all. Unless all 'holes' are accounted for, and all contigencies are programmed for, they usually will make another set of checks on those things and will eventually make it so it as an even extremely complex hack won't allow this to work on systems they don't want it to (I mean they could start checking processor configs, chipsets, BIOS stuff, etc, etc, but that would mean they are locking themselves to those architectures and making potential driver issues for 'normal' users in doing that)...
Agreed. However, since everything is done in software, it can always be modified or emulated. Hopefully Lucid has a solid product with its "Hydra" ASIC and we can quit dealing with this bullshit. Like plenty of others have stated -- even if NVidia wants to get greedy, at least give us the *option* to pay the $5 for an SLI license. Don't dictate that we have to buy products from people who have paid you, instead of being able to use the cards on the platform of our choice. And lastly, don't lie to the public that SLI technology *REQUIRES* certain functions to be present in the motherboard to work correctly -- just to sell your motherboards. It has obviously been proven now that this isn't the case.

Honestly, a description stating that it is up and running would have sufficed, that is all...
He was happy and excited. I don't blame him ;-)

TiN

System Name selfmade caseless :D
Processor Intel ES
Motherboard EVGA X299 DARK ES :)
Cooling LN2
Memory G.SKILL DDR4 @ 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX Kingpin's
Storage Intel P4500 4TB
Display(s) Philips BDM4350
Case none
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA NEX 1500W's
Mouse None (trackball)
Keyboard Steelseries APEX RAW and Corsair K-something
Software W2k8 R2 64bit SP1, FreeBSD 12
Benchmark Scores http://www.hwbot.org/community/user/tin?oldstyle=true
Same here.

Congratz to anatolymik and Sveetsnelda :)

coolmiester

I had great success with a few previous Supermicro boards including X8DAi and X8DAH+-F so massive thanks for all involved.

I'm just about to try the same with an Intel S5520SC Shady Cove board with a couple of GTX 285's and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about it and drivers to use??

Will i just go ahead the same way as i did with the Supermicro boards??

Thanks again :toast:

TiN

System Name selfmade caseless :D
Processor Intel ES
Motherboard EVGA X299 DARK ES :)
Cooling LN2
Memory G.SKILL DDR4 @ 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX Kingpin's
Storage Intel P4500 4TB
Display(s) Philips BDM4350
Case none
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA NEX 1500W's
Mouse None (trackball)
Keyboard Steelseries APEX RAW and Corsair K-something
Software W2k8 R2 64bit SP1, FreeBSD 12
Benchmark Scores http://www.hwbot.org/community/user/tin?oldstyle=true
Yes, just try same things. nothing technically changed since your last experiments ;)

boboe

TiN,how с driver 195,62 run sli for win7 64bit.I not understand,please help.thanks:)

TheWolf

System Name TheWolf
Processor Q9650/Q9550
Motherboard Abit IP35ProXE/IX38QuadGT
Cooling Big Typhoon x4
Memory G-Skill/A-Data/SuperTalent
Video Card(s) 3x MSI 260GTX OC 2x216 1x192 shaders
Storage Hitachi 80gb x2
Display(s) Norcent/Neovo
Case none/benching stations
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Crosair TX650W
Software XP/W7
Well done guys!
Looking forward to testing when I get my rig back together.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
I couldnt get sli working under vista 64x64-bit right now.

I downloaded the slic installer and pushed Asus under adminastrator
I then downloaded Generic 190.62 drivers installed the sys file, then restarted in test mode after i disabled UAC and then used a program to sign the drivers file i downloaded nvlddmkm.sys
and it booted with drivers running but no sli available.
Is the highest success rate with windows 7 64-bit or what :laugh:.

Followed 64bit win 7 instructions

Getting frustrated after 4 installs of windows here. Going to upgrade to windows 7 64-bit pretty soon and then its the last draw, and i eventually go find a sli mobo when i have the cash >.<

Also the HAL mod couldnt run because it had a error like "this is not a valid win32 something program and cannot be run" error i bet if i can get or use hal mod and get it running and run the EXE's i can boot up and enable sli.

System Name Nexus PC
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 3600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
Cooling Thermalright Macho V2
Memory 24GB DDR3, 1400MHZ CL8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung EVO 960 250gb, EVO 850 250gb, Vertex 3 128gb. 2 TB of Rotational.
Display(s) 1xAsus MX299, 2x Asus MX239, Oculus Rift CV1
Case Sunflower Tower
Audio Device(s) C-Media CMI8738/C3DX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Software Win7 64Bit Ultimate
I couldnt get sli working under vista 64x64-bit right now.

I downloaded the slic installer and pushed Asus under adminastrator
I then downloaded Generic 190.62 drivers installed the sys file, then restarted in test mode after i disabled UAC and then used a program to sign the drivers file i downloaded nvlddmkm.sys
and it booted with drivers running but no sli available.
Is the highest success rate with windows 7 64-bit or what :laugh:.

Followed 64bit win 7 instructions

Getting frustrated after 4 installs of windows here. Going to upgrade to windows 7 64-bit pretty soon and then its the last draw, and i eventually go find a sli mobo when i have the cash >.<

Also the HAL mod couldnt run because it had a error like "this is not a valid win32 something program and cannot be run" error i bet if i can get or use hal mod and get it running and run the EXE's i can boot up and enable sli.

did you already exchanged the HAL.dll in system32?
you can do it manually, just be careful, that you didnt apply the wrong HAL.dll to it (xp´s hal.dll for example, i did that twice before realizing it was the wrong one);)