Tuesday, October 25th 2011

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Cometh

Here is ASUS' top of the line LGA2011 motherboard targeting the gamer-overclocker market, the Republic of Gamers (ROG) Rampage IV Extreme. This board offers all the expansion room and connectivity you'll ever need, plus a wealth of nifty features that help overclockers and ease incremental upgrades. To begin with, the Rampage IV Extreme employs a strong digital PWM circuitry that supports heavy voltage-assisted overclocking with Vdroop control.

The LGA2011 socket is wired to eight DDR3 DIMM slots (two per channel). CPU and memory VRM areas are located along three sides of the socket, all cooled by heatsinks that are connected by heat pipes. These VRM heatsinks share heat with the one over the X79 PCH, which is actively cooled by a fan.
Expansion slots include four PCI-Express 3.0 x16 (red), of which two are x16-capable, and all are x8 capable, one PCI-Express 2.0 x4 (black, wired to the PCH), and an x1 slot. Storage connectivity includes four each of SATA 6 Gb/s (red) and SATA 3 Gb/s (black), and one eSATA, and a power-eSATA (unknown datarate). There are eight USB 3.0 ports (four each on the rear panel and front-panel headers). Surprisingly, there's only one gigabit Ethernet connection, the other connectivity option is Bluetooth, which plays a key role in some of the ROG-exclusive features such as ROG Connect. For once, ASUS did away with the Creative X-Fi soft-layer for its audio and the solution is pure Realtek ALC898 8+2 channel HDA codec (with Realtek driver).

Where do I even start with the toys overclockers get with this board? OK, first, the LGA2011 socket is designed in such a way that its Intel-spec retention bracket can be replaced by a custom ASUS-designed one, that modifies the cooler mount holes to make the socket compatible with LGA1366-ready coolers, so you can carry on with your expensive LGA1366-ready water-block. Second, there is a strong VRM that's backed by diagnostic phase and temperature LEDs, voltage direct-measurement points, and a EPU chip that marshals the power phases. There is redundant BIOS (in separate socketed serial EEPROM chips), with ASUS ROG-exclusive UEFI firmware. Thirdly, power is drawn, apart from the 24-pin ATX and 8-pin EPS, by a 4-pin ATX (CPU power) and a 6-pin PCIe, so electrical stability is maintained. The ROG connect feature lets you monitor and overclock your board from Bluetooth-enabled smartphones (hence the Bluetooth controller).

To top it off, every Rampage IV Extreme packs a free copy of Battlefield 3 Special Edition (bundles Physical Warfare and/or Return to Karkhand DLC(s)).Source: VR-Zone
Add your own comment

55 Comments on ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Cometh

#2
ensabrenoir
Pokemon master

:twitch:why intel....... why.......


SO MANY CHOICES....:banghead:.... 2011..... IVY BRIDGE.....SO MUCH AWESOME:rockout:


GOTTA GETEM ALL GOTTA GETEM ALLL!!!!!!!!

oh yeah ...this is about the board....yeah its awesome!
Posted on Reply
#3
Animalpak
Ohhh finally !!!!!!!! My next pc !!! I was so tired waiting something from Republic of gamers !!
Posted on Reply
#4
treehouse
D4S4 said:
noisy little buggers, we meet again.
this
Posted on Reply
#5
Maban
Neuromancer said:
Just a demux switch I would guess as the board will need it.

40X PCIE laners = 5 PCIE 8x slots... should not need any extra HW for the 5th black slot
I was under the impression that the 4 lanes dedicated to CPU-to-PCH were taken from those 40 lanes. Which makes sense since the most you ever see on other boards after the two x16 connections is a x4 slot (from the CPU). Though looking at the back of the board shot, I don't see where they would fit a switch under that sink.

Edit: Actually, looking back at the recently released photos of X79 boards, a few of them do have an extra x8 slot coming from the CPU. The ones in the beginning I believe did not.
Posted on Reply
#8
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Maban said:
Pretty sure there's a 8-to-16 lane PCI-E switch under that sink (wonder what else is under there) providing 8 lanes to that black x16 slot.
There's just more VRM under that.

Maban said:
This is going to be one beastly board. What are the chances of it being sub-$350?
Slim.

ensabrenoir said:
:twitch:why intel....... why.......


SO MANY CHOICES....:banghead:.... 2011..... IVY BRIDGE.....SO MUCH AWESOME:rockout:


GOTTA GETEM ALL GOTTA GETEM ALLL!!!!!!!!

oh yeah ...this is about the board....yeah its awesome!
No Ivy Bridge LGA1155 processor will ever be faster than any Sandy Bridge-E.
Posted on Reply
#9
Neuromancer
Maban said:
I was under the impression that the 4 lanes dedicated to CPU-to-PCH were taken from those 40 lanes. Which makes sense since the most you ever see on other boards after the two x16 connections is a x4 slot (from the CPU). Though looking at the back of the board shot, I don't see where they would fit a switch under that sink.

Edit: Actually, looking back at the recently released photos of X79 boards, a few of them do have an extra x8 slot coming from the CPU. The ones in the beginning I believe did not.
Nope 48 slots in total. 40 to slots 8 to pch.
Posted on Reply
#10
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Neuromancer said:
Nope 48 slots in total. 40 to slots 8 to pch.
32 lanes to PEG slots (as four x8 links), x4 as DMI (its own encoding), x4 as DMI-assist, which is rudimentary on all Patsburg variants except Patsburg-D and Patsburg-T. This board uses neither.
Posted on Reply
#11
Neuromancer
btarunr said:

No Ivy Bridge LGA1155 processor will ever be faster than any Sandy Bridge-E.
Quoting you on that. :)

Its not true. Intel does it ALL the time to their buyers. Introduce a mega costly kick ass system and come within 95% on a stock budget system 3 months later.

Ivy bridge WILL kick 2011's ass in all thing s not capable of handling a $1000-1500 8 core -16 threaded beast.

IE most applications.

Hell even handbrake maxes at 8 threads. disable HTT on 2011 and YES it will beat a sandy B i7.

Only cuz its 8 real cores. But at 3 times the cost it will not have 3 times the performance only the same perf clock for clock core for core.

2011 quads, will be in the 250-400 range I bet and be no differnet than 1155 i7s
Posted on Reply
#12
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Neuromancer said:
Quoting you on that. :)
Safely bet beers on that quoted text.
Posted on Reply
#13
Neuromancer
btarunr said:
Safely bet beers on that quoted text.
Done, whats your brand?

EDIT: Im cheap i like mich ultras.
Posted on Reply
#14
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Neuromancer said:
Done, whats your brand?

EDIT: Im cheap i like mich ultras.
Guinness.
Posted on Reply
#15
Neuromancer
Cans or draft I hope, draught in the bottle suck.

BTW I have seen the sneak peaks of x79 about a month ago ;)
Posted on Reply
#16
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Neuromancer said:
Cans or draft I hope, draught in the bottle suck.
Posted on Reply
#17
Neuromancer
LMAO.

Its cool man I will give you a 6 of draughts and tell you what, its same price anyway, you get me a 4 pack of Guiness stouts in a can. If I am right :) core for core clock for clock.
Posted on Reply
#18
freaksavior
To infinity ... and beyond!
hello new motherboard.
Posted on Reply
#19
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Neuromancer said:
LMAO.

Its cool man I will give you a 6 of draughts and tell you what, its same price anyway, you get me a 4 pack of Guiness stouts in a can. If I am right :) core for core clock for clock.
Your're on.
Posted on Reply
#20
Maban
btarunr said:
32 lanes to PEG slots (as four x8 links), x4 as DMI (its own encoding), x4 as DMI-assist, which is rudimentary on all Patsburg variants except Patsburg-D and Patsburg-T. This board uses neither.
How many lanes does X79 PCH give out? Cause if SB-E only gives out 32 then X79 has to give out more than 8. All I have heard is that X79 provides 8 lanes. It would have to give out 16 for this board as that black x16 slot is x8. http://screencast.com/t/dRQmNZNFM
Posted on Reply
#21
Neuromancer
Just to clarify, I noticed the quote, you said "ever be" faster.. you meant never be right?
Posted on Reply
#22
Neuromancer
Maban said:
How many lanes does X79 PCH give out? Cause if SB-E only gives out 32 then X79 has to give out more than 8. All I have heard is that X79 provides 8 lanes. It would have to give out 16 for this board as that black x16 slot is x8. http://screencast.com/t/dRQmNZNFM
40x + 8x to PCH

And if future revisions are indeed pcie 3.0, than 80% less latency as well. 2b encoding on PCIE 3.0. w00t!
Posted on Reply
#23
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
Maban said:
How many lanes does X79 PCH give out? Cause if SB-E only gives out 32 then X79 has to give out more than 8. All I have heard is that X79 provides 8 lanes. It would have to give out 16 for this board as that black x16 slot is x8. http://screencast.com/t/dRQmNZNFM
[12 * x1] or [(2 * x4) + 4 * x1] or [(1 * x4) + 8 * x1]. All are Gen 2.0.

The GbE controller in this board is Intel-made, and uses the chipset's GbE lane. Intel chipset GbE lane is a specialised PCI-E 1.1 x1 link which is clocked at 50 MHz. Intel High Definition Audio bus is physically a PCI-Express 1.0 x1 link. Both GbE and HDA don't eat into the 12 lanes.
Posted on Reply
#24
Maban
btarunr said:
[12 * x1] or [(2 * x4) + 4 * x1]. All are Gen 2.0.

The GbE controller in this board is Intel-made, and uses the chipset's GbE lane. Intel chipset GbE lane is a specialised PCI-E 1.1 x1 link which is clocked at 50 MHz. Intel High Definition Audio bus is physically a PCI-Express 1.0 x1 link. Both GbE and HDA don't eat into the 12 lanes.
Still even without the GbE using a lane (I didn't mark the HDA), that black slot is undoubtedly x8. It has all the necessary caps and traces and is even labeled as x8. So X79 would still need to provide 15 lanes for this setup if SB-E only provides 32.

Not trying to be a pain in the ass, just want to know how you're getting your info.
Posted on Reply
#25
D4S4
Yellow&Nerdy? said:
Not glad to see the small south-bridge fans making a return, I guess this means that the X79 chipset is even toastier than X58.
it doesn't necessarily mean that the chipset is toastier, it's because it now has to deal with the extra heat from the VRM delivered via heatpipe
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment