Wednesday, July 25th 2012

Radeon HD 7990 Further Delayed

Troubles don't seem to end for AMD's Radeon HD 7990 dual-GPU graphics card, with sources indicating that AMD has no new product launches till late-August. Sections of the press reported that the HD 7990 could be released some time this month. A couple of factors could be behind the delay. For starters, there have been reports of shortage of PEX8747 PCIe bridge chips by PLX, which is at the heart of dual-GPU graphics cards, including the GeForce GTX 690. Another factor could relate to how AMD plans to achieve competitive price-performance and performance-Watt ratios for the HD 7990. Meanwhile, launches of NVIDIA's mid-range GeForce GTX 660 Ti and GTS 650 are reportedly closing in.

Source: VR-Zone Chinese
Add your own comment

60 Comments on Radeon HD 7990 Further Delayed

#1
Nihilus
FYFI13 said:
My guess:

Performance: GTX690 > HD7990
Power consumption: HD7990 > GTX690
Price: HD7990 = GTX690
What people actually buy: GTX660Ti - GTX670
Exactly! There is no point in releasing a 7990 when it will get beat or matched anyways by a card that has been out for months. Who gives a damn about the HD 7990?! It's just for fanboys anyways. The lack of a GTX 660/66ti is the bigger issue.
I still think they should of released a 7870x2. Pacarin has wonderful scaling and the highest performance/watt of ANY card. At $650, it would of had zero competition for the price. Especially when a lot of GTX 680 have been sold at that price. :shadedshu

Prima.Vera said:
This 7xxx was a disaster series for AMD, even worst than 2xxx or 3xxx. Time to bring the 8xxx series with at least 60% more performance than the current crap generation.
2xxx seies: low performance gain + low efficiency = fail
3xxx series: low performance gain + much higher efficiency = good
4xxx series: high performance gain + higher efficiency = great!
5xxx series: med merformance gain + same efficiency = good
6xxx series: low performance gain + higher efficiency = ok
7xxx series: med performance gain + higher efficiency = good - cost of med/high end = ok
Posted on Reply
#2
v12dock
I don't see the point of the 7990 just focus on the 8XXX series
Posted on Reply
#3
Ravenas
btarunr said:
Troubles don't seem to end for AMD's Radeon HD 7990 dual-GPU graphics card, with sources indicating that AMD has no new product launches till late-August. Sections of the press reported that the HD 7990 could be released some time this month. A couple of factors could be behind the delay. For starters, there have been reports of shortage of PEX8747 PCIe bridge chips by PLX, which is at the heart of dual-GPU graphics cards, including the GeForce GTX 690. Another factor could relate to how AMD plans to achieve competitive price-performance and performance-Watt ratios for the HD 7990. Meanwhile, launches of NVIDIA's mid-range GeForce GTX 660 Ti and GTS 650 are reportedly closing in.

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/12-06-15/159a_thm.jpg

Source: VR-Zone Chinese
Is the guy holding that prototype in the picture working for Nvidia now? :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#4
manofthem
WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
I'm looking forward to the 8xxx cards even though I'm content with my 7970.
Posted on Reply
#5
Melvis
Drivers of course. I think it will be faster in some games but slower in others but with a higher power draw.
Posted on Reply
#6
HumanSmoke
Do you think HD 7990, once released, can beat GTX 690 ?

Yes and No.
BIOS switch at pos. "#1" : No
BIOS switch at pos. "# PCI-SIG can get f____d, warranty? u kidding, right?" : Yes
Posted on Reply
#7
N3M3515
FYFI13 said:
My guess:

Performance: GTX690 > HD7990
Power consumption: HD7990 > GTX690
Price: HD7990 < GTX690
What people actually buy: GTX660Ti - GTX670
Fixed that for you. :D
Posted on Reply
#8
N3M3515
nvidiaintelftw said:
This has been AMDs and NVIDIA's worst generation in terms of price to performance Ratios.
Fixed:)
Posted on Reply
#9
james888
Wow, a lot of hate for AMD here. I give them credit for having all their cards out. I was wanting to upgrade, and the 680, was going to be my card from rumors. It came out and looked good. The 670 came out, and looked better. Still though, I got a 7970 because it matched my needs better. I do not expect myself to upgrade any time soon.

How that translates into a 7990 thread is that the 7990 will match some peoples needs if amd does this right. The 690 is a heck of a gpu with 680 sli performance, at 300 watts, and an impressive cooler. The people who want more gpu compute, and more vram will get the 7990 (if done right). So will the ever present fan boys.

Getting the 7990 right, so it can be any where near comparable to the 690, is tough and I do not find the delay surprising.





HumanSmoke said:
Do you think HD 7990, once released, can beat GTX 690 ?

Yes and No.
BIOS switch at pos. "#1" : No
BIOS switch at pos. "# PCI-SIG can get f____d, warranty? u kidding, right?" : Yes
I agree. I would change it to BIOS switch at pos. "# PCI-SIG can get f____d, warranty? u kidding, right? Stock cooling forbidden!
Posted on Reply
#10
MxPhenom 216
Corsair Fanboy
erocker said:
Lol, no. You need to go back in history more than two or three years.

My answer isn't in the poll. I don't think the 7990 is going to be released at all.
Are you thinking that hte 29xx series was the worse for them?


Im starting to think it won't either. I have a feeling if it does. itll have a month of life and then the 8000 series will be here, that is if the 8000 series isn't delayed as well.
Posted on Reply
#11
techtard
If they finally do release the 7990, it will be near or equal to the performance of the gtx 690, Just like their last gen cards were. AMD has finally had good scaling since they 6xxx series.

The only difference you will see will be when you are benching apps that are pro nVidia or pro AMD.

And who cares about power consumption when you are spending a ton of cash ona videocard? At this price point, you only care if it gives you awesome FPS on your display of choice.

What is up with all the nVidia fans suddenly caring about power consumption and perf per watt? You used to laugh about this stuff and only cared about raw performance until nV shipped a lean and mean series.

Frankly, I don't think they are even going to release the 7990. I think they are going to drop the 8xxx series soon.
Posted on Reply
#12
Frogger
techtard said:

And who cares about power consumption when you are spending a ton of cash ona videocard? At this price point, you only care if it gives you awesome FPS on your display of choice.
:toast: Could not have said it better:D
Posted on Reply
#13
seronx
erocker said:
My answer isn't in the poll. I don't think the 7990 is going to be released at all.
Same, but I am pretty sure the 7990 isn't coming out. I am pretty sure the official word that it was cancelled and instead AMD is focusing to make Canary Islands more better focused at the 700 series of Kepler.

8970(CI) -> 780(GK112) vs 7970(SI) -> 680(GK100)*
8870(CI) -> 760(GK114) vs 7870(SI) -> 660(GK104)

*Interesting fact about GK100 it would have launched in June(2011) to October(2011) since AMD was planning to launch Bulldozer with it. (Implying the best GPU architecture to use with Bulldozer is Nvidia's architecture)
Posted on Reply
#14
eidairaman1
nvidiaintelftw said:
This has been AMDs worst generation in terms of price to performance Ratios.
First GCN, this is no where as bad as 1st fermi was:p
Posted on Reply
#15
MxPhenom 216
Corsair Fanboy
eidairaman1 said:
First GCN, this is no where as bad as 1st fermi was:p
This is true. 1st Fermi was a massive fail. I just left my 470 and now have a 680.
Posted on Reply
#16
eidairaman1
nvidiaintelftw said:
This is true. 1st Fermi was a massive fail. I just left my 470 and now have a 680.
I think it be more feasible to work on HD8 series than release the 7990 and work on the middle range boards first then the flagship. Both NV and AMD make the most money off the budget, Mainstream and workstation cards.
Posted on Reply
#17
james888
eidairaman1 said:
I think it be more feasible to work on HD8 series than release the 7990 and work on the middle range boards first then the flagship. Both NV and AMD make the most money off the budget, Mainstream and workstation cards.
Rational thought is usually pushed aside. I can imagine amd and nvidea being like two little kids where you can't give one something without the other throwing a fit if he doesn't get something equal or better.
Posted on Reply
#18
eidairaman1
james888 said:
Rational thought is usually pushed aside. I can imagine amd and nvidea being like two little kids where you can't give one something without the other throwing a fit if he doesn't get something equal or better.
dont doubt it, I look at it this way, people round here still run AMD 4800, 5800 series with the latest games fine or crossfire for that matter, same goes for NV counterparts. I honestly look more at middle ground cards primarily anymore.
Posted on Reply
#19
HumanSmoke
eidairaman1 said:
I think it be more feasible to work on HD8 series than release the 7990 and work on the middle range boards first then the flagship. Both NV and AMD make the most money off the budget, Mainstream and workstation cards.
Flagship cards (single / dual GPU) = PR. Mainstream and lower = Real World
Unfortunately, the big guns garner the page hits. What was more eagerly anticipated and commented upon- the 7970 or the 7770 ? The PR and subsequent sales from the Halo Effect more than outweigh the time and effort involved in getting it to market. I'd also sincerely doubt that the HD 8000 aren't already cast in silicon -esp if AMD are looking at late 2012/Q1 2013 launch.

james888 said:
Rational thought is usually pushed aside. I can imagine amd and nvidea being like two little kids where you can't give one something without the other throwing a fit if he doesn't get something equal or better.
Probably closer to two canny grumpy old men. A faster turn over of SKU's (and its attendant tit-for-tat who-holds-the-title) generates it's own momentum. At present, the second tier of single GPU performance (HD 7970 non-Ghz Ed. and GTX 670) sits at $US400, and I'm pretty sure ASP's are steadily rising in the face of this constant "battle for supremacy". Can't see either AMD or Nvidia being unhappy with the state of affairs- if they were, AMD could have slashed prices of HD 7870/7850 to hurt Nvidia's weak point, and Nvidia could have done likewise by pricing the 680 a lot lower than it actually did. The only carve up happening is to buyer....AMD and Nvidia on the other hand are enjoying a scotch in the clubhouse after a spirited round of golf.
Posted on Reply
#20
anubis44
okidna said:
Yeah, not a disaster at all.

Actually, today is a big day for AMD. They managed to achieve lowest stock price in 1 year calendar :

http://i.imgur.com/2RzGV.png

A delayed flagship product, a couple of crucial staff gone (John Bruno to Apple, Bob Feldstein to NVIDIA, Ben Williams to Calxeda Inc.), lowest stock price in 1 year? Not a disaster at all. They'll bounce back stronger!

Go AMD!
Considering AMD's graphics unit alone is worth more than AMD's current $2.81 billion market cap, investors would be utterly stupid NOT to buy shares in AMD at the current ~$4.00 price. No matter how you slice it, anybody investing in AMD at $4/share can't miss making money. It's like hitting the side of a barn with a gun from 10 feet away. No matter how you slice it, whether they up their game in the CPU and GPU market or bomb out and get bought out, their x86 license + their graphics division and all the other IP they've accumulated over 40 years is worth a ton of money -- way more than $2.81 billion, and the potential suitors who'd like to own AMD's IP and technologies include but are not limited to nVidia and Apple.

Scenario 1 - nVidia and AMD merger:
In this scenario, a potential technology juggernaut emerges when the resulting merged company has world-leading GPU monopoly, an x86 license with cutting edge CPU products, and arguably the best ARM processor out there. This is my ideal scenario. Really, why the hell have nVidia and AMD been trying to beat each other senseless when the REAL enemy, Intel, is just laughing the whole time in the background. Instead, nVidia and AMD should merge and kick Intel's smug ass.

Scenario 2 - Apple buys AMD with pocket change:
In this scenario, Apple looks under the couch cushions and finds the $8-$10billion necessary to buy AMD lock, stock and barrel. Suddenly, Apple not only has the best smart phones and tablets, powered by a leading ARM CPU design, they also suddenly get an x86 processor license and world-leading GPU technologies, not to mention APU (fusion) knowhow. With the other $90 billion, Apple then builds better x86 CPUs than Intel (since they can actually outspend Intel, for god's sake!) and enters the HPC/Supercomputing/Server market for the first time in a serious way, and produces the best x86/ARM-based APUs for their own MacBooks/tablets and iPhones. Basically, in this scenario, Apple 'wins the whole game'. Apple could design and build its own CPUs for all its own products from the lowliest smart phone/pod device all the way up to the world's fastest supercomputers. It would pretty well all be over for everybody else, and Apple would become THE company that makes everybody's high tech gadgets/desktops/laptops/tablets/Servers/Supercomputers for at least a full generation. This is NOT my ideal scenario, but it is a very real possibility.
Posted on Reply
#21
eidairaman1
other thing is x86-64- Intel still pays royalties for the 64bit instructions that AMD created because it was adopted by end users than IA64 (Itanium/Xeon).

anubis44 said:
Considering AMD's graphics unit alone is worth more than AMD's current $2.81 billion market cap, investors would be utterly stupid NOT to buy shares in AMD at the current ~$4.00 price. No matter how you slice it, anybody investing in AMD at $4/share can't miss making money. It's like hitting the side of a barn with a gun from 10 feet away. No matter how you slice it, whether they up their game in the CPU and GPU market or bomb out and get bought out, their x86 license + their graphics division and all the other IP they've accumulated over 40 years is worth a ton of money -- way more than $2.81 billion, and the potential suitors who'd like to own AMD's IP and technologies include but are not limited to nVidia and Apple.

Scenario 1 - nVidia and AMD merger:
In this scenario, a potential technology juggernaut emerges when the resulting merged company has world-leading GPU monopoly, an x86 license with cutting edge CPU products, and arguably the best ARM processor out there. This is my ideal scenario. Really, why the hell have nVidia and AMD been trying to beat each other senseless when the REAL enemy, Intel, is just laughing the whole time in the background. Instead, nVidia and AMD should merge and kick Intel's smug ass.

Scenario 2 - Apple buys AMD with pocket change:
In this scenario, Apple looks under the couch cushions and finds the $8-$10billion necessary to buy AMD lock, stock and barrel. Suddenly, Apple not only has the best smart phones and tablets, powered by a leading ARM CPU design, they also suddenly get an x86 processor license and world-leading GPU technologies, not to mention APU (fusion) knowhow. With the other $90 billion, Apple then builds better x86 CPUs than Intel (since they can actually outspend Intel, for god's sake!) and enters the HPC/Supercomputing/Server market for the first time in a serious way, and produces the best x86/ARM-based APUs for their own MacBooks/tablets and iPhones. Basically, in this scenario, Apple 'wins the whole game'. Apple could design and build its own CPUs for all its own products from the lowliest smart phone/pod device all the way up to the world's fastest supercomputers. It would pretty well all be over for everybody else, and Apple would become THE company that makes everybody's high tech gadgets/desktops/laptops/tablets/Servers/Supercomputers for at least a full generation. This is NOT my ideal scenario, but it is a very real possibility.
Posted on Reply
#22
james888
anubis44 said:
Considering AMD's graphics unit alone is worth more than AMD's current $2.81 billion market cap, investors would be utterly stupid NOT to buy shares in AMD at the current ~$4.00 price. No matter how you slice it, anybody investing in AMD at $4/share can't miss making money. It's like hitting the side of a barn with a gun from 10 feet away. No matter how you slice it, whether they up their game in the CPU and GPU market or bomb out and get bought out, their x86 license + their graphics division and all the other IP they've accumulated over 40 years is worth a ton of money -- way more than $2.81 billion, and the potential suitors who'd like to own AMD's IP and technologies include but are not limited to nVidia and Apple.

Scenario 1 - nVidia and AMD merger:
In this scenario, a potential technology juggernaut emerges when the resulting merged company has world-leading GPU monopoly, an x86 license with cutting edge CPU products, and arguably the best ARM processor out there. This is my ideal scenario. Really, why the hell have nVidia and AMD been trying to beat each other senseless when the REAL enemy, Intel, is just laughing the whole time in the background. Instead, nVidia and AMD should merge and kick Intel's smug ass.

Scenario 2 - Apple buys AMD with pocket change:
In this scenario, Apple looks under the couch cushions and finds the $8-$10billion necessary to buy AMD lock, stock and barrel. Suddenly, Apple not only has the best smart phones and tablets, powered by a leading ARM CPU design, they also suddenly get an x86 processor license and world-leading GPU technologies, not to mention APU (fusion) knowhow. With the other $90 billion, Apple then builds better x86 CPUs than Intel (since they can actually outspend Intel, for god's sake!) and enters the HPC/Supercomputing/Server market for the first time in a serious way, and produces the best x86/ARM-based APUs for their own MacBooks/tablets and iPhones. Basically, in this scenario, Apple 'wins the whole game'. Apple could design and build its own CPUs for all its own products from the lowliest smart phone/pod device all the way up to the world's fastest supercomputers. It would pretty well all be over for everybody else, and Apple would become THE company that makes everybody's high tech gadgets/desktops/laptops/tablets/Servers/Supercomputers for at least a full generation. This is NOT my ideal scenario, but it is a very real possibility.
That sounds nightmarish. Apple being a major player in the cpu/gpu business.
Posted on Reply
#23
FYFI13
nvidiaintelftw said:
I do not understand your logic here. If GTX680/670 are more efficient then 7970/7950s by close to 50w and the GTX690 is 2 680s on one PCB which is what the 7990 will most likely be is 2 7970s, then I do not see how the HD7990 will be better in terms of power consumption.
Sorry, by saying "HD7990>GTX690" i meant HD7990 will be more power hungry, not more efficient ;)

N3M3515 said:
Fixed that for you. :D
Thanks :) I know it'll be cheaper, just lately their pricing strategy went mad and hence my irony.
Posted on Reply
#24
Xzibit
anubis44 said:
Scenario 2 - Apple buys AMD with pocket change:
In this scenario, Apple looks under the couch cushions and finds the $8-$10billion necessary to buy AMD lock, stock and barrel. Suddenly, Apple not only has the best smart phones and tablets, powered by a leading ARM CPU design, they also suddenly get an x86 processor license and world-leading GPU technologies, not to mention APU (fusion) knowhow. With the other $90 billion, Apple then builds better x86 CPUs than Intel (since they can actually outspend Intel, for god's sake!) and enters the HPC/Supercomputing/Server market for the first time in a serious way, and produces the best x86/ARM-based APUs for their own MacBooks/tablets and iPhones. Basically, in this scenario, Apple 'wins the whole game'. Apple could design and build its own CPUs for all its own products from the lowliest smart phone/pod device all the way up to the world's fastest supercomputers. It would pretty well all be over for everybody else, and Apple would become THE company that makes everybody's high tech gadgets/desktops/laptops/tablets/Servers/Supercomputers for at least a full generation. This is NOT my ideal scenario, but it is a very real possibility.
Apple was one of the potential buyers to Nvidia in 2011 but given Microsoft has 1st and final say on any potential buyout it probably scared Apple away and decided to partner with Nvidia on a small scale in future products.

If anyone remembers the AIM alliance (Apple, IBM, Motorola) scenerio 2 has happened before on a different scale. It gave birth to RISC cpu and Power PC. Intel was able to out market and spend them. Apple relys on Mobile, IBM is back to what it knows servers, Motorola is Google Mobile now. Another example would be Cyrix.

AMD has been able to hang in there and if it wasnt for all the debt they accumulated when buying ATI. Which was finally paid for over 4yrs 2006-2010. They have the potential with that behind them to move forward where others have failed.

In a way AMD had the gonads to take on Intel and now take on Nvidia at the same time and survive. It makes it more interesting when the global economy is thrown in to the mix the way it is.



FYFI13 said:
Sorry, by saying "HD7990>GTX690" i meant HD7990 will be more power hungry, not more efficient ;)
You have to understand that Nvidia crippled the PCP on Kepler to essentially force/brauden the potential market for Quadro series card. AMD GNC doesnt need to be crippled and hence potential buyers of Fermi upgrade/upscales will look to 7900s for a much more cost effective solution. 7970s are on sale for under $380 for higher PPP then a 690/K10. OpenGL acceleration has caught up to CUDA and recent AMD PPS is shown to be supperior even on other Hardware like Intel CPUs. As mush as the gaming community likes to talk smack you have to hand it to AMD not being proprietary in there efforts to gain an edge nor manufacturing a artificial void/demand by excluding its much talked about PP power over 5 years for its HPC products.

If infact the 7990 comes to be at the very minimal we will be looking at a $1,000 card that has GTX 690 gaming performance with similar Kepler K20 parrallel processing power. Say 3/4th of K20 for $1,000 vs $4,000 even if its a limited run product they will be worth it not just for gamers.
Posted on Reply
#25
N3M3515
anubis44 said:
Scenario 2 - Apple buys AMD with pocket change:
And a new era of high prices arrives, $2500 for the HD 7990 ($800 actually from the card and a +$1700 from the apple logo)
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment