Friday, July 5th 2013

Breaking Limitations! CPU OC on ECS H87, B85, and H81 Motherboards

Now your K-Series CPUs don't necessarily need to go along with Z-Series chipsets to experience the joy of overclocking. ECS recently announced that its motherboards with all Intel 8 Series chipsets, including H87, B85, and H81, have the CPU overclocking ability, giving non Z-Series motherboard users the benefit of additional performance through CPU overclocking.

ECS has achieved Non-Z Series CPU overclocking with H87, B85, and H81 motherboards by simply adjusting the CPU Ratio inside the BIOS, offering an extremely easy way of overclocking your CPU. More importantly, H87, B85, and H81 CPU overclocking ability provides an affordable solution for seasoned or casual overclockers at a wide range or price levels.
Add your own comment

25 Comments on Breaking Limitations! CPU OC on ECS H87, B85, and H81 Motherboards

#1
RCoon
Gaming Moderator
Safely overclock with 1.776v?! Yeah. No.
Posted on Reply
#2
fullinfusion
1.21 Gigawatts
RCoon said:
Safely overclock with 1.776v?! Yeah. No.
I was thinking the same thing.

How are they able to clock the non K chip up so high? I thought the non K's were locked on the multi :confused:
Posted on Reply
#3
Random Murderer
The Anti-Midas
fullinfusion said:
I was thinking the same thing.

How are they able to clock the non K chip up so high? I thought the non K's were locked on the multi :confused:
Two reasons.
1) they are K chips,
2) even if they weren't, they're ES chips so the multi is unlocked anyway.

This news isn't about overclocking non-K chips, it's about overclocking on non Z-series chipsets. And yes, that VCore is way too high or not being read correctly.
Posted on Reply
#4
fullinfusion
1.21 Gigawatts
Random Murderer said:
Two reasons.
1) they are K chips,
2) even if they weren't, they're ES chips so the multi is unlocked anyway.

This news isn't about overclocking non-K chips, it's about overclocking on non Z-series chipsets. And yes, that VCore is way too high or not being read correctly.
Yaa I see, I should have looked a little harder. Thanks for clearing that up.
I didn't realize that non Z boards lacked the overclocking ability. :wtf:
Posted on Reply
#5
Sin
News Editor
Edited for clarification.
Indeed, the Voltage is just slightly beyond utterly ridiculous, probably poorly read, otherwise this looks like a suicide run (going by the voltage alone).
Posted on Reply
#6
Steven B
i cant believe your name is Sin. haha lol

So 1.77 or 1.78v would be the CPU Input voltage or VIN on some boards. CPUz is reading the output of the motherboard VRM, not the vcore of the CPU.

GBT also released BIOSes for their B85 and H87 boards today i think too.
Posted on Reply
#7
Sempron Guy
1.7v? Is that safe for Haswell? And what's up with these non-z overclocking implemented on boards lately? Asrock is doing it and now ECS. Doesn't it violate any terms with Intel? I mean won't this hurt z77 board sales?
Posted on Reply
#8
iO
Nice to see they finally figured out a way to re-enable all these fused off features.
Posted on Reply
#9
mystikl
Overclocking on cheap boards...but who was VRM?
Posted on Reply
#10
TheLostSwede
Gigabyte just announced that they're doing it too... just saying...
Beta BIOS
Enable K Sku CPU multiplier
Posted on Reply
#11
Random Murderer
The Anti-Midas
Sempron Guy said:
1.7v? Is that safe for Haswell?
Do you really have to ask? 1.7VCore has been suicide-run voltage for a few generations now. No, 1.7VCore is absolutely not safe for a chip you don't plan on blowing up somehow.
Sempron Guy said:
Doesn't it violate any terms with Intel?
Probably not. They'd get sued if it violated any terms/agreements.
Sempron Guy said:
I mean won't this hurt z77 board sales?
Probably a small bit, but will it really hurt any of the companies involved? A sale is a sale. Board manufacturers get to offload a mobo and Intel gets another chipset sold.
Posted on Reply
#12
badtaylorx
guys, come on....

you know damn well somethings fishy here...

Haswell, an already toasty chip @ 1.7+ would turn even the biggest of water loops into a boiling cauldron of hot mess......
Posted on Reply
#13
Sempron Guy
Random Murderer said:
Do you really have to ask? 1.7VCore has been suicide-run voltage for a few generations now. No, 1.7VCore is absolutely not safe for a chip you don't plan on blowing up somehow.
I'm just amazed how ECS thought this out. :p Maybe it's under LN2, which somehow deviates the purpose of enabling the oc feature on a board intended for "casual" overclocking
an affordable solution for seasoned or casual overclockers at a wide range or price levels.
Posted on Reply
#14
cadaveca
My name is Dave
CPU voltage IS ~1.8V, fed to the VRM< known issue with that version of CPU-Z.

Nothing surprising to be found here with the voltage.
Posted on Reply
#15
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
cadaveca said:
CPU voltage IS ~1.8V, fed to the VRM< known issue with that version of CPU-Z.

Nothing surprising to be found here with the voltage.
Don't worry 3-5 more people will question it without reading the entire thread since this has been said twice now.
Posted on Reply
#16
Random Murderer
The Anti-Midas
cdawall said:
Don't worry 3-5 more people will question it without reading the entire thread since this has been said twice now.
Is ~1.8VCore safe?:roll:
Posted on Reply
#17
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Random Murderer said:
Is ~1.8VCore safe?:roll:
Sure why not. :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#18
xvi
After re-reading this a few times, the tl;dr version seems to be "We enabled CPU multiplier adjustments on our entry/mid level boards." Nothing more.

Was confused about the whole "can it raise multi on non-k-series CPUs" thing too.

Random Murderer said:
Is ~1.8VCore safe?:roll:
cdawall said:
Sure why not. :laugh:
Only one way to find out.
Posted on Reply
#19
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
Now make the Pentiums and Celerons overclockable.
Posted on Reply
#20
Hood
Yeah, that's clever - unlock the multiplier on a board with 4 power phases and no heat sinks and drop in the CPU with the highest TDP - "CAUTION; Overclocking damage is NOT covered under your warranty!" - this warning should be on a large sticker covering the whole board, but instead will be in the microscopic print on page 3 of the warranty booklet. Can't wait to see the burning motherboard videos on YouTube.
Posted on Reply
#21
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Hood said:
Yeah, that's clever - unlock the multiplier on a board with 4 power phases and no heat sinks and drop in the CPU with the highest TDP - "CAUTION; Overclocking damage is NOT covered under your warranty!" - this warning should be on a large sticker covering the whole board, but instead will be in the microscopic print on page 3 of the warranty booklet. Can't wait to see the burning motherboard videos on YouTube.
You do understand that 4 phase boards used to be high end right? They used to be high end when AMD/Intel were pushing out 89W CPU's and people were overclocking them quite a bit with tons of voltage and they likely pulled more wattage than these do. They did all of that without mosfet heat sinks. These Intel chips with the highest TDP are still less than AMD/Intel chips of old with older lesser designed power sections.
Posted on Reply
#22
Hood
Yeah, but it would still be hilarious...
Posted on Reply
#23
haswrong
Hood said:
Can't wait to see the burning motherboard videos on YouTube.
intel likely supports this move, since the worse overclockability of tim'med k-haswells implies lousy sales of those. all in all, 4 gigahertz should be attainable without fuss on an acceptable budget.
Posted on Reply
#24
Mussels
Moderprator
wait, you need a Z series to OC the K chips?


damnit, this screws with my upgrade plans.
Posted on Reply
#25
haswrong
Mussels said:
wait, you need a Z series to OC the K chips?
nu-uh. now you dont, at least at ecs's and at asrock's restaurant. what k-chip will you have for dinner on your b85 plate today, sir?
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment