Tuesday, October 7th 2014

AMD Cuts Prices of R9 290 Series and R9 280 Series Even Further

AMD cut prices of its Radeon R9 290 series and R9 280 series graphics cards further down from last month's price-cuts. The cuts see the company's flagship single-GPU product, the Radeon R9 290X, drop from $449, down to $399, an $150 overall drop, from its launch price of $549. The Radeon R9 290, on the other hand, has its price cut to $299, from its launch price of $399. The drop in price of the R9 290 is squeezing AMD's sub-$300 lineup like never before. The R9 280X is down to $270, just $30 less than the R9 290. The R9 285, which launched barely two months ago, has its price squeezed to $229, just $10 more than NVIDIA's GTX 760. If you're in the market for a graphics card with about $250 in hand, you're now open to a ton of options, including ramen for a week, in exchange for the $329 GeForce GTX 970.

Source: Tweaktown
Add your own comment

140 Comments on AMD Cuts Prices of R9 290 Series and R9 280 Series Even Further

#1
GhostRyder
This is going to be very nice to consumers, now if only the lightning would get down low enough.
Posted on Reply
#2
Sakurai
Don't even bother AMD, nVidia has already won.
Posted on Reply
#3
Patriot
Sakurai said:
Don't even bother AMD, nVidia has already won.
Depends when the 390x shows up.
Posted on Reply
#4
gigantor21
...nah, I'm good. I'll just get the 970 instead. I prefer beef lo mein over ramen anyway.
Posted on Reply
#5
manofthem
WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Gotta love price cuts! :D

But even at these price cuts, I'd take a GTX 970 over an R9 290 for the few dollars more.


Sakurai said:
Don't even bother AMD, nVidia has already won.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Posted on Reply
#6
Steevo
The 970 is still too close to make most of those a good option. AMD fucked up bad with Tonga unless they have a diamond in a goats ass hidden in there somewhere.
Posted on Reply
#7
Arjai
Steevo said:
The 970 is still too close to make most of those a good option. AMD fucked up bad with Tonga unless they have a diamond in a goats ass hidden in there somewhere.
Hmmm, I'm having trouble determining which is less likely. A diamond in a goat's ass, A goat owning an ass, Someone hiding a Goat somewhere or, Has AMD fucked up?

:confused:
Posted on Reply
#8
james888
I personally think the 290x would be compelling at $350. I can only imagine the sale prices though when they have too much stock.
Posted on Reply
#9
Dj-ElectriC
When something that is on par to outperform a R9 290X, consume less than an R9 280X and cost 330$ - you know you are screwed.

Don't try to sugarcoat it - even if the R9 290X would magically cost 300$, most smart users will add the 30$ needed to get a dramatically more efficient product.

There's pretty much nothing AMD can do right now to beat the viability of a GTX 970 purchase. That's a simple fact.

Soon, a small brother to the GTX 970 will arrive and do the same thing for the whole mid-range segment.

People who insist on getting a radeon card might have to wait for another round of new cards.
Posted on Reply
#10
RejZoR
Sakurai said:
Don't even bother AMD, nVidia has already won.
Won what? Edging a 1 generation old technology? What a shocker... Brag about winning when AMD releases 390X, so you at least compare apples to apples...

@Dj-ElectriC
I wish i could get a GTX 970 for 330 USD. Cheapest you can get here in EU are basically 400 USD...
Posted on Reply
#11
Dj-ElectriC
This could go relatively to pretty much everywhere, with some minor changes here and there. once the GTX 900 cards will actually arrive in most shops, things will get more stable.
Where i live, the cheapest GTX 970 cost 450$
Posted on Reply
#12
gregyong
Patriot said:
Depends when the 390x shows up.
The R9 390s are not showing up until Q1 2015 according to an AMD Rep that I know.
Nothing to back me up on this statement, cause revealing it would mean her loosing her job, but pretty sure AMD is not launching this year.
Posted on Reply
#13
jmcslob
Over the last few years Nvidia has fixed every issue that made this guy an ATI fanboi....so I'm thinking like with my CPU I'm about to jump ship....prices need to drop another 15% methinks...
Posted on Reply
#14
Naito
RejZoR said:
Won what? Edging a 1 generation old technology? What a shocker... Brag about winning when AMD releases 390X, so you at least compare apples to apples...
Well people did the same when the R9-290/290X edged out Nvidias already aging Keplers. AMD is behind, Nvidia will just counter the 390X with something much more powerful down the track, if need be. Don't get me wrong, I want AMD to compete, I want them to still be around in the future, but at least use your commonsense.
Posted on Reply
#15
techy1
this is good news for everybody (even for fanboys that only do hate). njvidia made 290x price look like a joke... amd reacted and now 290x is finally priced right... I hope with 390x AMD will make GTX 980 price look like a joke. (a hope - for all of us... yea - even you - mr "fanboy" from whatever camp you are)

If there was not these two companies, but only one:
1) if there would be only AMD, then it would still hold 550$ price tag to 290x and probably rebrand it for anoter year for the same price or boost some clock and add price.
2) if there would be only nVidia, then it gtx 970 would be called something like "GTX 980ti" and would cost 600$+ and GTX 980 would be called some kind of Titan and would cost 1000+$ and if there would be GTX 980 TI then it would be called "TITAN MEGATRON ZZZ" (or whatever) and on its price tag would be writen: "one human kidney or your daughters virginity"
Posted on Reply
#16
erocker
Dj-ElectriC said:
When something that is on par to outperform a R9 290X, consume less than an R9 280X and cost 330$ - you know you are screwed.

Don't try to sugarcoat it - even if the R9 290X would magically cost 300$, most smart users will add the 30$ needed to get a dramatically more efficient product.

There's pretty much nothing AMD can do right now to beat the viability of a GTX 970 purchase. That's a simple fact.

Soon, a small brother to the GTX 970 will arrive and do the same thing for the whole mid-range segment.

People who insist on getting a radeon card might have to wait for another round of new cards.
For 300 bucks I'd get the 290x. Comes with 3 free games. Though If a GTX 970 game with a couple games, I'd probably go for that... Bah, nothing is really interesting me currently for GPU's.
Posted on Reply
#17
Dj-ElectriC
To each their own, i guess. If i plan on using this card for two years at least, i'd say goodbye to the games (witch i might never even play) as well as to immense amounts of heat when i game.
Posted on Reply
#18
majevica
yeah baby i can see cheap r290 toxic or vapour-x in my rig soon maybe vapor-x because i like its color scheme better i like this very very
Posted on Reply
#19
eidairaman1
majevica said:
yeah baby i can see cheap r290 toxic or vapour-x in my rig soon maybe vapor-x because i like its color scheme better i like this very very
The vaporX takes up 3 slots if you dont have any other expansion cards then go for it.

I find it very funny how everyone goes insane when Amd does succeed/Falter and when they do price cuts... Yet when Nvidia falters or does price cuts no one harps on them.
Posted on Reply
#20
arbiter
techy1 said:
this is good news for everybody (even for fanboys that only do hate). njvidia made 290x price look like a joke... amd reacted and now 290x is finally priced right... I hope with 390x AMD will make GTX 980 price look like a joke. (a hope - for all of us... yea - even you - mr "fanboy" from whatever camp you are)
As said before if and when amd announces 390x likely nvidia will have a chip to counter it and price drop the card.

erocker said:
For 300 bucks I'd get the 290x. Comes with 3 free games. Though If a GTX 970 game with a couple games, I'd probably go for that... Bah, nothing is really interesting me currently for GPU's.
290x is 400$, and most games on amd's list of games are old games last i looked only couple ones from THIS YEAR.
Posted on Reply
#21
RCoon
Gaming Moderator
Sakurai said:
Don't even bother AMD, nVidia has already won.


erocker said:
Bah, nothing is really interesting me currently for GPU's.
Nothing in any hardware related sector is particularly interesting me. Processors are barely better than sandy, GPU's have only just gotten better after god knows how many years, and every other hardware section is at a standstill bar RAM, and DDR4 has a nonexistant following besides those so desperate to upgrade to Haswell-E
Posted on Reply
#22
pr0fessor
I wonder how long it takes until here in switzerland and EU these cards cost 300-350 dollars. I think it will be called, on special offer.
Posted on Reply
#23
HumanSmoke
RejZoR said:
Won what? Edging a 1 generation old technology? What a shocker... Brag about winning when AMD releases 390X, so you at least compare apples to apples...
The bigger picture is that for the first time in a number of GPU generations, AMD goes into the holiday season without a new range of SKUs, and with Nvidia poised to capitalize on that fact. The issue isn't the lack of immediate sales, but the loss of revenue and its effect on AMD's balance sheet and it's impact on R&D budget down the line. If Bermuda arrives in Q1 then that only partially offsets the losses because 1. Q1 is traditionally a slow sales quarter, and 2. How many people would upgrade (assuming it is) again from the cards they bought just a few months before?
eidairaman1 said:
I find it very funny how everyone goes insane when Amd does succeed/Falter and when they do price cuts... Yet when Nvidia falters or does price cuts no one harps on them.
Really? Were you away during the whole GTX 480/470/465 era? I seem to remember a whole orchestra's worth of harping....or how about the GTX 590 Fireworks Edition? How about Nvidia undercutting the Titan with the GTX 780? How about Titan Z ? Plenty of harping there.
Posted on Reply
#24
Naito
Reader said:
Do not COMPARE the products like IDIOTS.
If it does the job then prefer the AFFORDABLE ONE!
I personally think it would be quite idiotic not to compare products. Besides, if you were not to compare, how would you know which one best fits your need or, as you put it, does the job you want it to do? Even if the products in question were the same price, one may be more suitable or more affordable throughout its life.
Posted on Reply
#25
Dj-ElectriC
The problem is these days that "go with the cheapest" became such a strong internet thing, that people won't stop for a few minutes to think "hmm... maybe putting an extra 10-20$ here will benifit me in the long-run". I agree, sometimes it's those small investments that make the experience much better.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment