Monday, August 22nd 2016

Intel Core "Kaby Lake" Desktop Processors First Wave Detailed

Intel is reportedly planning launch its 7th generation Core "Kaby Lake" processors by Q4-2016. Its desktop variants, built in the existing LGA1151 package, will be the third Intel micro-architecture built on the 14 nm process (after "Skylake" and "Broadwell" architectures). With this generation, Intel is planning to sub-classify LGA1151 into three categories, to ensure people don't try to install higher-powered CPUs on low-power machines.

These are LGA1151-Standard Power; LGA1151-Low Power; and LGA1151-Ultra Low Power. These are defined by the TDP of the packages. Standard Power chips run at 95W TDP, Low Power at 65W TDP, and Ultra Low Power at 35W TDP. There could be motherboards and machines that, depending on their VRM setup, completely shut out Standard Power or even Low Power chips.

Among the Standard Power Core "Kaby Lake" chips are the Core i7-7700K and the Core i5-7600K. The two feature unlocked base-clock multipliers, and are targeted at PC enthusiasts. The i7-7700K leads the pack with 4.20 GHz clock-speed, a staggering 4.50 GHz Turbo Boost frequency, 8 MB of L3 cache, and HyperThreading enabling 8 logical CPUs. The i5-7600K features 3.80 GHz clocks with 4.00 GHz Turbo Boost, 6 MB of L3 cache, but as characteristic of Core i5 quad-core chips, it lacks HyperThreading.

The 65-Watt "Low Power" LGA1151 is made up of four SKUs, all of which are quad-core. Leading the pack is the i7-7700 (non-K). This chip features lower clock speeds than the i7-7700K, with 3.60 GHz and an unknown Turbo Boost frequency; HyperThreading, and 8 MB of L3 cache. It's the same story with the i5-7600, which features 3.50 GHz clocks, and 6 MB of L3 cache. The i5-7500 is clocked at 3.40 GHz, and the i5-7400 at 3.30 GHz. Thankfully, Intel isn't designing a sub-3 GHz part like the i5-6400 in this sub-category.

The 35-Watt "Ultra Low Power" lineup includes the quad-core Core i7-7700T, featuring 2.90 GHz clocks, 8 MB of L3 cache, and HyperThreading; Core i5-7600T with 2.60 GHz clocks and 6 MB L3 cache; and the Core i5-7500T, with 2.40 GHz clocks.
Source: OCaholic
Add your own comment

116 Comments on Intel Core "Kaby Lake" Desktop Processors First Wave Detailed

#51
jihadjoe
TheLostSwede said:
Let's see if we get Nvidia grade price gauging on these ones...
Nah I don't think so. Nvidia is competing against AMD, so when they make a better part than AMD they price gouge.

Intel for a while now has been competing only against itself and its older products and there are already set market prices for each level or category. If they raise prices too much people will likely go for the lower-end chip which is bad for Intel's bottom line.
Posted on Reply
#52
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
RejZoR said:
Except all compressors, be it general purpose or audio/video. Image editos also all use as many cores as they can utilize. Granted, if you odn't use any of that enough, who cares. But long term, if you buy a 6c/12t system now, it'll last for ages, 5 years easily especially if you overclock it. I mean, just look at Nehalems, the first 4c/8t CPU's. People still run them for very demanding stuff. Granted, they need to be overclocked to at least 4GHz now, but then they aren't much slower than modern 400€ CPU's. And those are freaking 6 years old.
They are just as fast/slow as amds fxstuff. So make your own judgment on speed, most stuff normal people use doesn't use 6 threads I am for building lasting rigs and grabbed a 6 core however. Since games are catching up finally
Posted on Reply
#53
RejZoR
What do you mean by "most stuff"? 7zip, WinRAR, Paint.NET, FormatFactory, TEncoder, VirtualDub and tons of free stuff people use at home can utilize as many threads as you can give them. I think only CPU that they wouldn't be able to fully utilize is like a server grade 40 threads CPU. 16 threads, easily. My 12 threader is regularly crunching with 100% load on all 12 threads in all of the above apps.
Posted on Reply
#54
EarthDog
cdawall said:
Intel sounds like they are joining that game they do have that 165w quad core xeon...I would be curious what actual power draw is.



They should have done it with 100% of their boards or just never released 220w parts.
heh, it's not even their 220w monster. Half the boards throttle on fx octo's at stock, lol!
Posted on Reply
#55
Supercrit
Intel will be shipping 6 core 8700k only if Zen is as good as the rumors say.
Posted on Reply
#56
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
RejZoR said:
What do you mean by "most stuff"? 7zip, WinRAR, Paint.NET, FormatFactory, TEncoder, VirtualDub and tons of free stuff people use at home can utilize as many threads as you can give them. I think only CPU that they wouldn't be able to fully utilize is like a server grade 40 threads CPU. 16 threads, easily. My 12 threader is regularly crunching with 100% load on all 12 threads in all of the above apps.
Normal people buy mainstream, most of those apps wouldn't be items a mainstream user deals with. Kaby lake is mainstream, if you want to buy enthusiast grade products than step up to the enthusiast grade platform. The only application that might be common for someone mainstream to use you listed is 7zip or winrar and even then can you tell me the time frame difference unzipping a common email sized file? whats the max yahoo allows 15mb? bet you couldn't tell the difference between a 4 and 8 core.

Mainstream users don't encode crap.

EarthDog said:
heh, it's not even their 220w monster. Half the boards throttle on fx octo's at stock, lol!
FX machines don't throttle what are you talking about? LOL
Posted on Reply
#57
Disparia
I can't say that I'm very sympathetic. Before the Athlon X2 most of my systems had two physical processors which meant paying a premium; the "HEDT" of their time. But unlike today where tailored parts are readily available we had to tirelessly research desktop/workstation/server parts to make sure our build was the most compatible with Windows NT/2000 and Windows 9x (fallback for certain software).

In other words it's never been easier or cheaper to be on a HEDT platform if you feel stifled by the current/next round of consumer chips.

This is not to say that I'm against the higher core-counts that will come with future Zen and future Intel, but rather they will be "Gandolf", arriving exactly when they mean to.
Posted on Reply
#58
RejZoR
cdawall said:
Normal people buy mainstream, most of those apps wouldn't be items a mainstream user deals with. Kaby lake is mainstream, if you want to buy enthusiast grade products than step up to the enthusiast grade platform. The only application that might be common for someone mainstream to use you listed is 7zip or winrar and even then can you tell me the time frame difference unzipping a common email sized file? whats the max yahoo allows 15mb? bet you couldn't tell the difference between a 4 and 8 core.

Mainstream users don't encode crap.



FX machines don't throttle what are you talking about? LOL
And what is "mainstream" enough? You really think 7zip or Paint.NET is some sort of exotic stuff? FormatFactory with its simple drag and drop multimedia conversion? Being able to set 2 pass encoding is the height of it's controls. You think e-mail is the only file transfer medium? Ever heard of USB drives? It's strange that you believe "mainstream" apps aren't heavily multithreaded these days. Because they just are. Whether you'll see the difference, that's another thing. The fact is, more is always better and will last longer.
Posted on Reply
#59
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
RejZoR said:
And what is "mainstream" enough? You really think 7zip or Paint.NET is some sort of exotic stuff? FormatFactory with its simple drag and drop multimedia conversion? Being able to set 2 pass encoding is the height of it's controls. You think e-mail is the only file transfer medium? Ever heard of USB drives? It's strange that you believe "mainstream" apps aren't heavily multithreaded these days. Because they just are. Whether you'll see the difference, that's another thing. The fact is, more is always better and will last longer.
Most people don't encode video...
Posted on Reply
#60
alucasa
cdawall said:
Most people don't encode video...
Hey, I encode por.....

....

Nevermind.
Posted on Reply
#61
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
alucasa said:
Hey, I encode por.....

....

Nevermind.
I can count on one hand how many times I have encoded video. My phone dumps straight to youtube and that is what most people will do in the real world. If you are editing video you are not a "mainstream" user.
Posted on Reply
#62
yogurt_21
seems abit like Haswell to Devils Canyon ie same basic chip with a bit more frequency. Though I'm not liking the tdp trends

3770K 77w
4770K 84w
4790k 88w
6700k 91w
7700k 95w

everywhere else in the line ups the trend has been reverse or at least it stays the same.
5005u 15w > 6100u 15w etc.
Posted on Reply
#63
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
yogurt_21 said:
seems abit like Haswell to Devils Canyon ie same basic chip with a bit more frequency. Though I'm not liking the tdp trends

3770K 77w
4770K 84w
4790k 88w
6700k 91w
7700k 95w

everywhere else in the line ups the trend has been reverse or at least it stays the same.
5005u 15w > 6100u 15w etc.
and the new Xeon is 165w
Posted on Reply
#64
Nokiron
yogurt_21 said:
seems abit like Haswell to Devils Canyon ie same basic chip with a bit more frequency. Though I'm not liking the tdp trends

3770K 77w
4770K 84w
4790k 88w
6700k 91w
7700k 95w

everywhere else in the line ups the trend has been reverse or at least it stays the same.
5005u 15w > 6100u 15w etc.
A bit selective not including 2600K ;)

2011 stays the same, where progress is much more important for Intel businesswise.
Posted on Reply
#65
Grings
btarunr said:
but as characteristic of Core i5 quad-core chips, it lacks HyperThreading.
I wonder, if these upcoming AMD chips are any good, could we see even i5's get hyper threading next gen? (i7's could have edram cache to set them apart, though if it hobbles overclocking like on broadwell non-e id rather go without)

also nice to see some better clock speeds from the non-k chips this time around
Posted on Reply
#66
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Nokiron said:
A bit selective not including 2600K ;)

2011 stays the same, where progress is much more important for Intel businesswise.
To be fair they are all over the place right now anything from 45w to 165w when the new 5.1ghz chips hit the market.
Posted on Reply
#67
EarthDog
Grings said:
I wonder, if these upcoming AMD chips are any good, could we see even i5's get hyper threading next gen? (i7's could have edram cache to set them apart, though if it hobbles overclocking like on broadwell non-e id rather go without)

also nice to see some better clock speeds from the non-k chips this time around
An i5 with HT is an i7 bud. :D

The EDRAM really didn't improve things a whole lot. I would personally prefer that be left off.
Posted on Reply
#68
Makaveli
alexsubri said:
It's like a game of chess, AMD made their move and now Intel made theirs. Still feel like AMD has the upper hand in this scenario. More threads than cores, still not seeing anything evolutionary here on Intels part.

Zen has more cores and threads this time around. Hopefully it will live up to the hype. The stocks sure think so! :pimp:

No more wishful thinking ;)

<div class="youtube-embed" data-id="ynIHsHYaig0"><img src="https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ynIHsHYaig0/hqdefault.jpg" /><div class="youtube-play"></div><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynIHsHYaig0" target="_blank" class="youtube-title"></a></div>
Zen has more core/threads this time around???

Since when dude?

Intel® Core™ i7-6950X
10c/20t
Posted on Reply
#69
HTC
I wouldn't be surprised if Intel had much better processors tucked away for a time when AMD becomes a threat so i'm guessing they have just been milking out their customers with slight improvements over previous generations. If Zen turns out to be good, Intel will simply release a processor family with a more significant performance boost over kabylake and the cycle will continue all over again.
Posted on Reply
#70
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Makaveli said:
Zen has more core/threads this time around???

Since when dude?

Intel® Core™ i7-6950X
10c/20t

The server class AMD stuff is going to be 16/32
Posted on Reply
#71
Makaveli
You mean like Skylake E and Kaby Lake E you can bet your next paycheck these are just sitting in a lab waiting!
Posted on Reply
#72
Makaveli
cdawall said:
The server class AMD stuff is going to be 16/32
And who is talking about server class hardware on a consumer chip launch?

That is irrelevant to this topic!
Posted on Reply
#73
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Makaveli said:
And who is talking about server class hardware on a consumer chip launch?

That is irrelevant to this topic!
You do know that 2011-V3 is intels server class board that happens to allow enthusiast grade hardware correct? These 8/16 chips AMD is releasing will be on what would be called mainstream. There is also nothing that has been said that AMD will not allow the larger core count chips on an enthusiast platform. So assuming prior to release that AMD wont release a 16/32 chip for consumer grade hardware is jumping the gun.

Also learn how to not multi post. edit and put multiple things in the same post.
Posted on Reply
#74
Makaveli
Still doesn't change my point.

This topic isn't about Server grade cpu's.

Xeon's also offer 24c/48t but there is no point of me bring that up here because this topic isn't about server cpu's.

That would just changing the topic to suit my post.
Posted on Reply
#75
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
Makaveli said:
Still doesn't change my point.

This topic isn't about Server grade cpu's.

Xeon also offer 24c/48t but there is no point of me bring that up here because this topic isn't about server cpu's.

That would just changing the topic to suit my point.
This isn't the enthusiast grade release from AMD. We don't know what all AMD is going to release. They have already announced that these will scale to 16/32 if AMD does one thing good its more cores.

So you have no point other than Intel offers a CPU with more cores right now. Luckily we all knew that. So thank you captain obvious.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment