Thursday, October 13th 2016

AMD's RX 470 may see price-cut in wake of NVIDIA's GTX 1050 Ti Launch

According to TweakTown, AMD may be preparing to bring the fight to the as-of-yet unannounced GTX 1050 Ti with a $10 price-drop on their 1080p price-performance king RX 470 from the current $179, bringing the price down to $169. NVIDIA is purportedly planning to bring the GTX 1050 Ti to market at the $149 price point, with a rated TDP of only 75 W and apparently no need for additional power connectors (at least on reference designs). However, faced with a measly $20 difference from the supposedly higher-performing RX 470 - which could sometimes be up to 30% faster - the battle for the $150 bracket might prove to be an uphill battle for the green camp.

Add to that the latest updates unveiled by Oculus on Oculus Connect 3, with the RX 470 being stamped with the VR-ready approval, as well as the greater availability and lower price of FreeSync monitors (sometimes with as much as four times the number of FreeSync offers versus G-Sync ones), and it really does seem that AMD is poised to offer the best value in its price bracket. Of course, things get muddier if you take into account the current pricing landscape for graphics cards from either manufacturer (where most models are selling upwards of their MSRP).
As a reminder, the RX 470 has 2048 cores clocked at 1206 MHz and 4 GB of GDDR5 VRAM, with a 120 W TDP. The GTX 1050 Ti is expected to come in with 768 cores clocked at 1392Mhz, paired with 4 GB of GDDR5 VRAM and the already mentioned 75 W TDP. While in purely performance-per-watt terms this Radeon generation still can't compete with NVIDIA's offerings, the expected performance difference between both of these cards can somewhat tilt the scales in AMD's favor. Source: TweakTown
Add your own comment

10 Comments on AMD's RX 470 may see price-cut in wake of NVIDIA's GTX 1050 Ti Launch

#1
hojnikb
drop it down to 149$ and then we'll talk..
Posted on Reply
#2
Vayra86
Now... where have we seen this before? Hmmmm
Posted on Reply
#3
TRWOV
Only $10... well, it's something. Still, I guess the 1050Ti will become the defacto upgrade card for guys with pre-built Dells and HPs due to the 75w TDP.
Posted on Reply
#4
Sempron Guy
If the 1050ti will come out not much faster than a 960 then bringing the 470 down to around $159 immediately kill these lower end pascal right even before they are launched.
Posted on Reply
#5
Fluffmeister
GP107 is likely to be a considerably smaller chip too, and nV do love those margins.
Posted on Reply
#6
Casecutter
Seems like a double standard... when Nvidia has some perceived lead their worth the extra bucks (R9 390 8Gb vs 970 4Gb). Now a card that doesn't at this point appear to have performance and it's AMD that need to juggle! AMD shouldn't exactly need to be drop, is it more Nvidia is to high maybe their value is $140 looking at the from RX460 perf/$. It seem folks still thinks it's AMD who needs to go lower, why at this point we don't know where this card will fall. When the 960 2Gb cam into the market, AMD then brought 380 4Gb which bested it, there was no outrage toward Nvidia pricing should go down.

"TRWOV said:
will become the defacto upgrade card for guys with pre-built Dells and HPs due to the 75w TDP.
That seems like what used to be the argument regarding "those peasants" who can't get a real PSU.

When there's competition it's all good...
Posted on Reply
#7
BlueFalcon
"Sempron Guy said:
If the 1050ti will come out not much faster than a 960 then bringing the 470 down to around $159 immediately kill these lower end pascal right even before they are launched.
I don't think you know NV's customer base. Compared to GTX750Ti, R9 270 and R9 270X were 31% and 44% faster respectively. R9 270 was 57% faster than GTX750. 750/750Ti managed to easily outsell R9 270/X by multiples of times. The types of customers who will have low quality 300W and below OEM PSUs are also more than likely not technically savvy. They are more likely to not know how to upgrade their PSU or hunt down a great deal on a new PSU, and are much more brand conscious. Sometimes they may not even have a choice to cross-shop RX 470 and GTX1050Ti in an OEM build since the OEM/retailer has already determined the choice for them.

You just have to look at GTX950/960 vs. R9 280X/380/380X/R9 290 to see that price/performance and absolute performance metrics don't matter to many consumers. Believe it or not a lot of PC gamers don't cross-shop the two brands and simply buy the fastest NV card that fits inside their XYZ budget.

Even at $185, RX 470 should already have superior price/performance to the $149 GTX1050Ti. The bigger threat to the RX 470 is the GTX1060 3GB which can be readily purchased for $190-$195.

The headlines that GTX1050Ti's launch may force AMD to cut RX 470's prices makes AMD sound a lot more desperate than a headline that would explain that AMD is cutting prices on RX 470 to better position it against the GTX1060 3GB. Such headlines wouldn't generate as many clicks and AMD-bashing, however.
Posted on Reply
#8
Casecutter
I think the problem has been supply and demand, holding some crazy 470 4Gb pricing. It's hard to find even reference style at even close to $180, while OEM customs are all over the place. Hopefully the spells AMD has a volume of Polaris 10's in the pipe, and it's just indicating $170 is the new base and customs for $20 are going to be more conspicuous.
Posted on Reply
#9
Sempron Guy
"BlueFalcon said:
I don't think you know NV's customer base. Compared to GTX750Ti, R9 270 and R9 270X were 31% and 44% faster respectively. R9 270 was 57% faster than GTX750. 750/750Ti managed to easily outsell R9 270/X by multiples of times. The types of customers who will have low quality 300W and below OEM PSUs are also more than likely not technically savvy. They are more likely to not know how to upgrade their PSU or hunt down a great deal on a new PSU, and are much more brand conscious. Sometimes they may not even have a choice to cross-shop RX 470 and GTX1050Ti in an OEM build since the OEM/retailer has already determined the choice for them.

You just have to look at GTX950/960 vs. R9 280X/380/380X/R9 290 to see that price/performance and absolute performance metrics don't matter to many consumers. Believe it or not a lot of PC gamers don't cross-shop the two brands and simply buy the fastest NV card that fits inside their XYZ budget.

Even at $185, RX 470 should already have superior price/performance to the $149 GTX1050Ti. The bigger threat to the RX 470 is the GTX1060 3GB which can be readily purchased for $190-$195.

The headlines that GTX1050Ti's launch may force AMD to cut RX 470's prices makes AMD sound a lot more desperate than a headline that would explain that AMD is cutting prices on RX 470 to better position it against the GTX1060 3GB. Such headlines wouldn't generate as many clicks and AMD-bashing, however.
yes of course that's just one side of the story. And yes that side is more plausible as that's what exactly happened here in my country. 750ti consumer base here is pretty huge compared to the R7-265 which is faster but consumes more power. Having said that, almost gtx 970 like performance for 10-20bucks more is hard to ignore. A drop in 460 and 470 price; 460 2gb at $99, 4gb variant at $129, will take care of those consumers, the casual gamers and oem pc owners while a drop in the 470 will hit two birds w/ one stone. Kill the 1050ti while creating a price gap between the slightly faster 1060 3gb.
Posted on Reply
#10
Basard
"TRWOV said:
Only $10... well, it's something. Still, I guess the 1050Ti will become the defacto upgrade card for guys with pre-built Dells and HPs due to the 75w TDP.
The poor souls.... Let us pray for them..... :roll:
Posted on Reply