Friday, March 31st 2017

AMD Community Update: BIOS Updates, Patches, Performance Improvements

Yesterday, we covered how Ryzen's performance has seen a needed lift-up through an upcoming update to Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation. Performance improvements of up to 30% do wonders in bringing up the 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 7 1800X's performance up to speed with its svelter gaming enemy, the 4-core, 8-thread i/ 7700K. And through a community update, AMD has now shed some light on the ongoing crusade for adapting an entire ecosystem to its Ryzen line of processors architecture features. Case in point: BIOS updates and game patches,
BIOS updates are incoming which, according to AMD's own Robert Hallock, build upon AMD's AGESA (AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture) version 1.0.0.4 - which is essentially the precursors for any BIOS file, being "responsible for initializing AMD x86-64 processors during boot time, acting as something of a "nucleus" for the BIOS updates you receive for your motherboard". Hallock mentions how BIOSes based on this AGESA release will bring improvements towards the Ryzen ecosystem:
  • Reduced DRAM latency by approximately 6ns. This can result in higher performance for latency-sensitive applications.
  • Resolved a condition where an unusual FMA3 code sequence could cause a system hang.
  • Resolved the "overclock sleep bug" where an incorrect CPU frequency could be reported after resuming from S3 sleep.
  • AMD Ryzen Master (AMD's software overclocking utility) no longer requires the High-Precision Event Timer (HPET) - which itself impacts performance on AMD Ryzen CPUs. So while you would surely see some performance gains from overclocking, some of those would be offset by the performance penalty induced by HPET's enablement.
So, latency is improved, and that FMA3 bug is reportedly getting fixed. These take care of the BIOS part of the equation, with AMD promising the release of a new AGESA version in May that "focuses on overclocked DDR4 memory."

Other than that, a new game has received a patch which improves performance under an AMD Ryzen 7 system - DOTA 2, one of the most successful MOBAs ever released. This update, dated March 20 - sorry for the "slight" delay - brought about "Improved threading configuration for AMD Ryzen processors." This is a game whose developers didn't publicly commit to exploring performance penalties of their game code running on a Ryzen 7 processor, but who introduced a game update that improved performance on those conditions. On a system configured with AMD Ryzen7 1800X Processor, 2x8GB DDR4-2933 (15-17-17-35), GeForce GTX 1080 (378.92 driver), Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming5, Windows 10 x64 build 1607, and a 1920x1080 resolution, Hallock reports 15% higher minimum framerates (from 79 to 91), lowering input latency by around 1.7ms.
One can hope that this momentum of updates and platform support from both AMD and developers continues, and builds up to an ecosystem that has embraced the rise (eh) of another truly competitive x86 architecture.Source: Community @ AMD, DOTA 2
Add your own comment

40 Comments on AMD Community Update: BIOS Updates, Patches, Performance Improvements

#1
HTC
Raevenlord said:
[...] lowering input latency by around 1.7ms. [...]
Shouldn't that be ns instead of ms?
Posted on Reply
#2
Gasaraki
It's good that they keep updating the ecosystem, cause they really need it. Memory support is lackluster.
Posted on Reply
#3
Ed_1
On game optimizations thread wise, most games only worry about 4core 8 threads , so once they improve threading it probably will also improve on Intel side to (6900) and might show improvements even though freq is lower.
The memory an bios should of been straightened out better before launch IMO.
Posted on Reply
#4
suraswami
One thing I don't understand, if the so called geniuses in AMD know how their CPU should work, why can't they share that info to the board vendors and make sure they are monitored and implemented properly?
Posted on Reply
#5
Solidstate89
Anything regarding some of the ridiculously long POST times I keep reading about? Even some of the happy Ryzen owners over at Ars are reporting boot times in excess of 30 seconds.
Posted on Reply
#6
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Solidstate89 said:
Anything regarding some of the ridiculously long POST times I keep reading about? Even some of the happy Ryzen owners over at Ars are reporting boot times in excess of 30 seconds.
That's memory-related, based on my testing. Swap sticks and it goes away.
Posted on Reply
#7
EarthDog
'Dat memory training tho' .... :(
Posted on Reply
#8
Solidstate89
cadaveca said:
That's memory-related, based on my testing. Swap sticks and it goes away.
Seems like yet another memory related issue honestly with Ryzen's IMC. It's overly finnicky from what I've seen.

I'm hoping in another month or two, the UEFI performance and stability issues will be all ironed out.
Posted on Reply
#9
NdMk2o1o
Ryzen's getting better by the day, I love it!
Posted on Reply
#10
Hood
NdMk2o1o said:
Ryzen's getting better by the day, I love it!
Yes, I want to thank all the early adopters of Ryzen who suffered through the uncertainty and doubt while trying to get it to boot, and then the blue screens/crashes every time they changed a BIOS setting, and all the memory problems. Without these brave pioneers, forging ahead in the face of major setbacks, Intel would still be sitting fat and greedy, laughing all the way to the bank, instead of all worried and talking about crazy price drops. The better Ryzen gets, the cheaper my next Intel system will be. Rock on AMD!
Posted on Reply
#11
Grings
Hood said:
Yes, I want to thank all the early adopters of Ryzen who suffered through the uncertainty and doubt while trying to get it to boot, and then the blue screens/crashes every time they changed a BIOS setting, and all the memory problems. Without these brave pioneers, forging ahead in the face of major setbacks, Intel would still be sitting fat and greedy, laughing all the way to the bank, instead of all worried and talking about crazy price drops. The better Ryzen gets, the cheaper my next Intel system will be. Rock on AMD!
look at this post, lol
Posted on Reply
#12
intelzen
Hood said:
Yes, I want to thank all the early adopters of Ryzen who suffered through the uncertainty and doubt while trying to get it to boot, and then the blue screens/crashes every time they changed a BIOS setting, and all the memory problems. Without these brave pioneers, forging ahead in the face of major setbacks, Intel would still be sitting fat and greedy, laughing all the way to the bank, instead of all worried and talking about crazy price drops. The better Ryzen gets, the cheaper my next Intel system will be. Rock on AMD!
"....in the face of major setbacks" ? only setback I have red about so far are - 144hz+ gaming (paired up with top end GPU) and no RAM frequency bragging rights... like for example - you have only 2400mhz ram and ddr3 (in your system specs) - how do you even function? I bet even a Solitare laggs on so slow RAM system.
Posted on Reply
#13
ssdpro
Grings said:
look at this post, lol
That user's post seems reasonable. The user reports what we read in forums, make it clear he/she wants AMD to succeed, and says boldly intention to stay Intel only. The post is transparent, honest, and references facts. I too hope for AMD's sales success so some disruption can occur. So far it is not happening as AMD's stock is still down from launch (but getting closer to where it was!).
Posted on Reply
#14
NdMk2o1o
I'm buying amd and a whole heap of others are too, glad we can stop Intel blatantly ripping you off. Shame your not even bothered by it by still going back to them now they might lower prices on their 10 year architecture... I'll be happy with my 6c12t until ryzen+ when we can expect higher clocks and will just drop that into my am4 motherboard and ram that I already own instead of having to fork out again for an incremental performance increase :)
Posted on Reply
#15
Bruno_O
"AMD Ryzen Master (AMD's software overclocking utility) no longer requires the High-Precision Event Timer (HPET) - which itself impacts performance on AMD Ryzen CPUs. So while you would surely see some performance gains from overclocking, some of those would be offset by the performance penalty induced by HPET's enablement." wohoo, that was way quicker than I anticipated. And regarding the earlier post, yes I was / am a beta tester, but apart from some overclocking instability, on stock (1700 + Asus X370 PRO + 16GB 2400 CL14 + Intel 600p) everything worked like a charm since the first boot!
Posted on Reply
#16
Hood
NdMk2o1o said:
I'm buying amd and a whole heap of others are too, glad we can stop Intel blatantly ripping you off. Shame your not even bothered by it by still going back to them now they might lower prices on their 10 year architecture... I'll be happy with my 6c12t until ryzen+ when we can expect higher clocks and will just drop that into my am4 motherboard and ram that I already own instead of having to fork out again for an incremental performance increase :)
Thanks again. Tell your friends, post it on Facebook and Twitter. It's not happening fast enough.
Posted on Reply
#17
Hood
intelzen said:
"....in the face of major setbacks" ? only setback I have red about so far are - 144hz+ gaming (paired up with top end GPU) and no RAM frequency bragging rights... like for example - you have only 2400mhz ram and ddr3 (in your system specs) - how do you even function? I bet even a Solitare laggs on so slow RAM system.
So, you haven't red (sic) about the new systems that wouldn't boot, even though all parts were on the QVL?, or about the folks whose system crashed every time they changed anything in the BIOS? You really didn't see the dozens of complaints about lack of RAM compatibility? And what is this silliness about solitaire? Try to stick to facts, if you have red any...I guess you don't read much.
Posted on Reply
#18
cadaveca
My name is Dave
Hood said:
So, you haven't red (sic) about the new systems that wouldn't boot, even though all parts were on the QVL?, or about the folks whose system crashed every time they changed anything in the BIOS? You really didn't see the dozens of complaints about lack of RAM compatibility? And what is this silliness about solitaire? Try to stick to facts, if you have red any...I guess you don't read much.
Well, you see, I got this ASRock Taichi board, and had none of these problems. The problems most have seem to be down to specific manufacturers then, and have nothing to do with AMD, other than the ram problems (which were present mostly with users that bought COrsair ram. See me do any reviews or using Corsair ram? Nope? Should tell you something!). I really like my Ryzen system, because I had none of these issues all these "users" seem to report. If W1zz had not had problems with his Gigabyte board, I'd have just suggested that all those posts were guerilla marketing. So you'll have to pause for a second... Seems many of AMD's board partners don't know how to make an AMD board. I don't trust random posters on the internet speak truth... go to Newegg reviews to see why. :P
Posted on Reply
#19
NdMk2o1o
Hood said:
So, you haven't red (sic) about the new systems that wouldn't boot, even though all parts were on the QVL?, or about the folks whose system crashed every time they changed anything in the BIOS? You really didn't see the dozens of complaints about lack of RAM compatibility? And what is this silliness about solitaire? Try to stick to facts, if you have red any...I guess you don't read much.
You sound butthurt, are you OK?? I'm sorry amd gave hedp performance at i7 price, but hey, like you said, they will lower prices soon so they will only be overcharging by about $100 for a 10 year old processor instead of $200!!!!!
Posted on Reply
#20
Hossein Almet
Here hopping Ryzen will do well big time. For my next build in 5 years time, it'll be Ryzen mark 2:) With Intel, every time you want to upgrade you have to change motherboard bother me. Changing motherboard is not smooth sailing, It takes months, and a lot of patience, to iron the rough edges.
Posted on Reply
#21
theoneandonlymrk
Solidstate89 said:
Seems like yet another memory related issue honestly with Ryzen's IMC. It's overly finnicky from what I've seen.

I'm hoping in another month or two, the UEFI performance and stability issues will be all ironed out.
I don't know about finicky most if not all ddr4 was made and loaded with Intel compatible profiles and NO AMD profile for AMD specifically bar the jedec defaults , compatibility can only improve.
Posted on Reply
#22
EarthDog
True... my question is... why can't it be more mature upon release? how hard is it really to send final silicon or something close enough to these memory makers and work with them to have more compatibility from D1.
Posted on Reply
#23
theoneandonlymrk
EarthDog said:
True... my question is... why can't it be more mature upon release? how hard is it really to send final silicon or something close enough to these memory makers and work with them to have more compatibility from D1.
There are quite a few memory providers clocking rams different ,due to Intel's platform base they got compatibility priority being first and all but i agree there are some issues i just think if you get it wrong it's compounded into worse issues ,the fx8350 and it's platform was no different on release
Posted on Reply
#24
Hood
NdMk2o1o said:
You sound butthurt, are you OK?? I'm sorry amd gave hedp performance at i7 price, but hey, like you said, they will lower prices soon so they will only be overcharging by about $100 for a 10 year old processor instead of $200!!!!!
No. I laugh at people who are computer illiterate, but I feel sorry for people who can't properly use their native language...hedp? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEDP It's hard to decide in which category you belong.
Posted on Reply
#25
jigar2speed
Hood said:
Yes, I want to thank all the early adopters of Ryzen who suffered through the uncertainty and doubt while trying to get it to boot, and then the blue screens/crashes every time they changed a BIOS setting, and all the memory problems. Without these brave pioneers, forging ahead in the face of major setbacks, Intel would still be sitting fat and greedy, laughing all the way to the bank, instead of all worried and talking about crazy price drops. The better Ryzen gets, the cheaper my next Intel system will be. Rock on AMD!
Stop embarrassing yourself, my Intel i5 4670K @ 5GHZ (4.8GHZ daily driver) can't keep up against my friend's R7 1700 @ 4 GHZ, I personally tweaked it. Its using 3200MHZ RAM and its a day and night difference in performance when using multi thread applications. Also in gaming its usually ahead of my system. The problem you are describing are happening to very limited people with very specific mobo manufactures and who doesn't face problems on new platform ? Remember Intel had similar issues when they launched Nehalem - TLB bug, Haswell - USB bug, Sandy Bridge -SATA bug to name the few?
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment