Wednesday, October 25th 2017

"Not So Fast": Bungie Automatically Bans Destiny 2 PC Players With Overlays

Urgent message to all would-be Destiny 2 PC players: Bungie has enabled an extremely strict, no holds-barred permanent account-banning system with Destiny 2, which activates so long as you have any kind of application with process hooks / overlay features. This is true for Twitch, Discord, MSI Afterburner, OBS, XSplit, Skype, TeamSpeak, HWMon, AIDA, as well as some hardware vendor overlays such as ASUS Tweak and Corsair Link software, GeForce Experience's FPS counter... The message screen, "Not so Fast", indicates that players have been banned, without forewarning or any further explanation.

There's a meltdown going on in Bungie's official PC Support forums, where most of the threads have been started - and then added to - by banned users. In some cases, users are banned even before entering the character creation screen; some more fortunate ones can even get to thew first three minutes of the intro video. A post from a Bungie Forum moderator didn't do much to instill confidence: "In Destiny there are account restriction and bans,", Bungie moderator "Kellogs" writes. "Restrictions are only temporary but must be waiting out while bans are permanent. Please note that Bungie will not discuss or overturn account restrictions or bans."
It's interesting to note that the same moderator indicated that some apps that might be incompatible with Destiny 2 - read, all of the above - would result in the game not launching, but not on a ban. This seems to be in line with Bungies' terms and conditions on PC overlay support, but nevertheless, hasn't stopped many, many users from calling that claim an outright lie. Apparently, a not insignificant number of users have seen themselves banned, instead of a game application fail to run instance.

If you've bought a digital Battle.Net key for the game, and have been banned due to this inexcusable usage of blind banning, you may have some luck in requesting a refund directly from Blizzard support. Users who have bought a physical version fo the game, however, will see their refunds be much less likely.Sources: Bungie Forums, TPU Forums user @ One Moar

86 Comments on "Not So Fast": Bungie Automatically Bans Destiny 2 PC Players With Overlays

Freez
Activision. What a bastards.
Game sucks, but.. it's just (don't get me wrong) oldfags don't buying anything from Activision. :laugh:
P.S. Banned streamers and young ones now is like "outrage".
bug
Mike0409 said:
Not sure why you think I am being dense. I appreciate it tho, as I am thick headed! :p

How do you stop user grief on an unforeseen problem? Can you rectify grief without having an understanding of the issue at hand?
Why do you keep insisting this is unforeseen?
StrayKAT
bug said:
Why do you keep insisting this is unforeseen?
Like I said in the beginning of this thread, I'm amazed that anyone would even be working at a company this big if they were the type of developer that lost in their own little space of applications.

It's like they imagined only one user scenario, where every gamer was running a "Destiny kiosk".
Static~Charge
Bungie's rules of operation:

Rule #1 - Bungie is always right.

Rule #2 - If Bungie is ever shown to be wrong, see rule #1.
dicktracy
Bungie already addressed this. The game doesn't automagically ban players. They "manually" banned 400+ players for outright cheating.
bug
StrayKAT said:

It's possible they used an off-the-shelf solution or something built by another team within the company and didn't think much about integration. However, that is completely irrelevant from users' point of view.
However, like @RejZoR said above, if users rage about this and then turn around and buy Bungie's next title, I have no sympathy for them either.

Edit: And about developers, they always get lost in their own space. It's inevitable when you do the same thing over and over and over and over again. That's why there's an architect somewhere and that's why, imho, the dev team should never sign off on anything. QA should.
lexluthermiester
dicktracy said:
Ok, maybe "banned" isn't the right word. How about "kicked off" or "unable to play" or even "unable to login after a few attempts to play". I wasn't cheating. Wanted to play the single player campaign I paid for. No matter what you want to call it, it's clearly a serious problem.

Getting tired of big companies screwing up, and playing serious problems off like it's somehow the fault of us users, you know, the paying customers that keep them in business.
StrayKAT
bug said:

Makes me wonder what QA was even using. A lot of the software listed is pretty common among PC gamers.
xorbe
dicktracy said:
What's all the hub-bub about then? Social media attack by a banned cheater? [Serious question!]
Th3pwn3r
Assimilator said:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you don't preorder games, or buy them on release day.
Pre-ordering makes a lot of sense for the purpose of PRE-LOADING. Can you imagine a bazillion players all trying to download the game all at the same time? Probably wouldn't work out too well.
Th3pwn3r
xorbe said:
According to Bungie those insta bans were done after accounts were 'flagged' manually by a person reviewing accounts on the beta for cheating. So...however you want to take that, I don't totally believe it. Even if that is true...Bungie was perfectly fine with taking people's money and then banning the purchaser instantly? That is a scumbag move if I've ever heard one.
Gmr_Chick
RejZoR said:
And yet people just continue to buy stuff from such companies. When will you all learn?
To be fair though -- I'll use myself as an example -- say I just paid $60 (or in some cases more, depending on if it's a special edition or something) for this game, never having played the 1st Destiny but wanted to give this new one a try because it looked interesting or whatever, and I didn't know ANYTHING about this issue being discussed (and to be fair, if I haden't read the OP, I probably still wouldn't have known about it) only to get banned, kicked off, locked out, whatever you want to call it, for having something like Afterburner in the background. Then I find out the reason I got banned was BECAUSE I was using Afterburner. I'd be very fucking pissed off. The point is, there are more than likely PC gamers like me out there who actually don't know about this issue...until it happens to them.

lexluthermiester said:

Consoles don't offer keyboard and mouse support, ATM. There are a great many gamers who will not play FPS type games without that functionality. For FPS games, controllers are irritatingly clunky and cumbersome by comparison. Some games work well with a controller and indeed require it for best experience. FPS and RTS type games are not in that group. Additionally, not everyone cares[at all] about multiplayer functionality. Some of us buy games to enjoy a good story and adventure.
You can count me as one of those people. I basically grew up around single player (or at the most, two player) games so I prefer them over multiplayer. And you can bet I'd buy a game with great story and adventure over a "thrilling" multiplayer-centric title any day of the week :D

When it comes to control methods, I think I'm in the minority, as I only play my PC games using a controller, but that's because it feels more natural and familiar to me than the more traditional mouse/keyboard setup. About the only PC game I use a mouse and/or keyboard for is Sims 3 and 4.
StrayKAT
Gmr_Chick said:

I'm almost in the same category. I prefer mouse/kb with faster paced FPS (action heavy). Anything that's a bit more plodding and exploration heavy, I don't mind a controller (FO/Skyrim, horror stuff). I could probably play Destiny with a controller too... but like you, I'm more into single player -- and from what little I know from Destiny 1, it sucks for that. People just get in the way.
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
Assimilator said:
And also a reason to stick to single player games. I prefer a story anyway.
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
lexluthermiester said:

So you could play when you turned the programs off?
Prince Valiant
lexluthermiester said:

Even if you were cheating your arse off I don't see how it should matter when it's confined to single player.

They know they can get away with it these days. The number of times I've heard someone defending a company doing something scummy is mind boggling. It's like some people enjoy getting their rights pissed on by companies.
Krzych
Now that was a quick fall from "all PC support and customization you may want" to "you will be banned for the will to live"
StrayKAT
Prince Valiant said:

Been trying to figure this out for a long time myself.
lexluthermiester
Frick said:
So you could play when you turned the programs off?
What programs? I don't run anything when gaming. I think Firefox might have been running, but that was closed after the first time the game kicked me.
Prince Valiant said:
Right? Cheating online is abhorrent and foul. It's one of the reason I don't play online. But in a single-player game? Who cares?
Prince Valiant said:
The thing is, they didn't get away with it. My card company reversed the transaction. It's called a charge-back and reflects negatively on their rating with Visa. Enough people do that and it'll be enough to bump up the transaction fees they have to pay. So there's that.
Prince Valiant
StrayKAT said:
Been trying to figure this out for a long time myself.
Pretty strange to say the least.

lexluthermiester said:
What programs? I don't run anything when gaming. I think Firefox might have been running, but that was close after the first time the game kicked me.

Getting enough people to protect themselves in similar situations is the challenge.
Th3pwn3r
lexluthermiester said:

Do you still have the game? Lol...
Frick
Fishfaced Nincompoop
lexluthermiester said:
So you had completely different issues then and were not affected by this at all.
lexluthermiester
Th3pwn3r said:
Do you still have the game? Lol...
No. Uninstalled and deleted it.
Frick said:
And you know that how? What are you, psychic?