Monday, April 16th 2018

Intel Rumored to Commemorate 40th Anniversary of the 8086 with a Special Core i7 SKU?

Intel recently celebrated 20 years of the Pentium brand that made the company a household name, with a special Pentium 20th Anniversary Edition G3258 SKU. If rumors are to be believed, the company could do something similar with the upcoming 40th anniversary of its 8086 processor, the distant ancestor of today's x86 architecture. Some sources even suggest that the company could take advantage of its 8th generation Core product cycle to launch a "Core i7-8086K" SKU.

Pictures surfaced on social media of the said "i7-8086K" SKU in the flesh, complete with a part number "SR3QQ." Based on the same 14 nm "Coffee Lake" silicon as the i7-8700K, this chip has a nominal clock speed of 4.00 GHz, a maximum Turbo Boost frequency above 5.00 GHz, an unlocked multiplier, and 12 MB of shared L3 cache. Intel could choose June 8th (around the 2018 Computex and the actual anniversary of 8086), to launch the new SKU.
Source: WCCFTech
Add your own comment

30 Comments on Intel Rumored to Commemorate 40th Anniversary of the 8086 with a Special Core i7 SKU?

#1
madness777
Why not make it even bigger by soldering the freaking thing.
But seeing the temperatures in that screenshot, doesn't look like that will be the case.
Posted on Reply
#2
Parn
Basically a cherry picked 8700K to milk the diehard Intel fans. Zero effort for maximum profits.
Posted on Reply
#3
_JP_
But he 8086 was 5 to 10MHz, so this one should be 5GHz to...nevermind.
So next year we're having the 8088K? :D
Posted on Reply
#4
TheLostSwede
"Parn said:
Basically a cherry picked 8700K to milk the diehard Intel fans. Zero effort for maximum profits.
What would you have wanted then? That they painted it in pink?
Posted on Reply
#5
Vayra86
"_JP_ said:
But he 8086 was 5 to 10MHz, so this one should be 5GHz to...nevermind.
So next year we're having the 8088K? :D
Its rumoured to run at 5.1 Ghz 2c boost, so there is some reference in there for sure :)
Posted on Reply
#7
Imsochobo
"Parn said:
Basically a cherry picked 8700K to milk the diehard Intel fans. Zero effort for maximum profits.
or it's a product that is there for celebration ?
8700K is already a good product and if silicone lottery exists it should be a good market for pre binned cpu's ?
I see nothing wrong :)
Posted on Reply
#8
dj-electric
"Parn said:
Basically a cherry picked 8700K to milk the diehard Intel fans. Zero effort for maximum profits.
God forbid a chip maker milks an already existing chip to 5Ghz to sell it to suckers for hundreds of dollars extra.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-9590
Posted on Reply
#9
Parn
"TheLostSwede said:
What would you have wanted then? That they painted it in pink?
So you're happy that Intel sells an existing chip to you for an extra couple of hundreds of dollars by just slapping a fancy celebration logo/model number on it?
Posted on Reply
#10
Midland Dog
just a message to everyone with doubts, have a look at the pentium g3258, 2 unlocked haswell cores at over 4ghz is no joke for like 80 bucks
Posted on Reply
#11
Readlight
God for everyithing, who also wont use much electricity. Its Windows foult who not make anymore fast os for these old procesors and hard drives, i vaiting for stable linux 18.4 budgie,. to try to replace for laptop from 2005
Posted on Reply
#12
jabbadap
"Parn said:
So you're happy that Intel sells an existing chip to you for an extra couple of hundreds of dollars by just slapping a fancy celebration logo/model number on it?
There were somewhere known price for this, or?

If they price it similarly as G3258 were against other pentiums, there won't be price premium on it.
Posted on Reply
#13
ensabrenoir
.....some will never be satisfied........the G3258 was such a fun chip though, got and built several systems with them. Only paid like $50 bucks for it ...overclocked like crazy...believe i killed a board with one but the chip still survived. If they can recapture that....definitely got a sale from me.
Posted on Reply
#14
Vya Domus
"ensabrenoir said:
.....some will never be satisfied........the G3258 was such a fun chip though, got and built several systems with them. Only paid like $50 bucks for it ...overclocked like crazy...believe i killed a board with one but the chip still survived. If they can recapture that....definitely got a sale from me.
Well , it was fun because it was cheap , this probably wont be.
Posted on Reply
#15
deu
"Parn said:
So you're happy that Intel sells an existing chip to you for an extra couple of hundreds of dollars by just slapping a fancy celebration logo/model number on it?
I am since im not going to buy it. You should'nt either if you dont think its worth your money. The market is not a safespace against shitty deals; let your wallet talk, and buy what makes sense to you. Just remember that 'what makes sense to you' does not necessary allign with others priorities. :) So let the CPU release and if people wanna buy it so be it. But yes this seems to be a prebinned 8700K os intel is just cutting out the middelman (casekings.de etc.)
Posted on Reply
#16
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
If you don't like it don't buy it. I think it is cool they commemorate old tech.

Nvidia needs to do it for g92 that's the reason they still exist.
Posted on Reply
#17
Vayra86
"Parn said:
So you're happy that Intel sells an existing chip to you for an extra couple of hundreds of dollars by just slapping a fancy celebration logo/model number on it?
Posted on Reply
#19
wauc4uluq
waiting for Meltdown/Spectre hardware fix
Posted on Reply
#20
HimymCZe
6C? so 11 years past, we are still not getting 8C...
Posted on Reply
#21
dj-electric
"HimymCZe said:
6C? so 11 years past, we are still not getting 8C...
I'd make a 2 core CPU with triple the power if i only could. Software loves it
Posted on Reply
#22
_JP_
"Vayra86 said:
Its rumoured to run at 5.1 Ghz 2c boost, so there is some reference in there for sure :)
Well, Coffee Lake should still have VM86 support, so there's that reference by default :cool:
Posted on Reply
#23
Makaveli
"HimymCZe said:
6C? so 11 years past, we are still not getting 8C...
Why does that matter the majority of software can't use 8 cores.

Don't be one of those people just obessed with specs and big numbers like the Andriod phone crowd.
Posted on Reply
#24
Durvelle27
"Makaveli said:
Why does that matter the majority of software can't use 8 cores.

Don't be one of those people just obessed with specs and big numbers like the Andriod phone crowd.
That’s sad, my phone has 8 cores but intel mainstream hasn’t caught on yet.
Posted on Reply
#25
cdawall
where the hell are my stars
"Durvelle27 said:
That’s sad, my phone has 8 cores but intel mainstream hasn’t caught on yet.
Your phone has two sets of four cores in a big/little arrangement that is already rumored to be something Intel is looking at doing in the x86 world.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment