Friday, August 10th 2018

ENERMAX Readies LIQTECH II 240, 280, 360 Liquid Cooler TR4 II AIO Cooler Exclusive for 2nd Gen AMD Threadripper

ENERMAX has put up a product page for a revised version of its LIQTECH TR4 II 240 liquid cooler, which they've readied in expectation of AMD's second-gen Threadripper CPU lineup. Remember that the new AMD Threadrippers will bring about much increased levels of performance due to their doubled core-counts in relation to first-gen Threadrippers - and of course, a doubling in core counts necessarily translates into increased power consumption, even if AMD did bring about some more power efficiency improvements to the design (besides those already enabled by the usage of the 12 nm fabrication process).

The new LIQTECH TR4 II features support for AMD's TR4 socket, and according to ENERMAX, can dissipate up to 500 W of waste heat due to the usage of multiple technologies, such as their patented Shunt-Channel-Technology (SCT) which boosts thermal conductivity, alongside an EF1 pump with high flow rate up to 450L/h. Innovative batwing blades improves overall airflow for increased thermal dissipation at the radiator level, and revised pumps work to allow fluid circulation to flow unimpeded. Additionally, ENERMAX have added addressable RGB functionality to the water block, so users can personalize their cooling champion. The LIQTECH TR4 II coolers will be available in this month of August - right around the time of AMD's Threadripper II.
Add your own comment

11 Comments on ENERMAX Readies LIQTECH II 240, 280, 360 Liquid Cooler TR4 II AIO Cooler Exclusive for 2nd Gen AMD Threadripper

#1
Flyordie
This may be an option for me on my TR build down the road. As long as they have fixed the pump reliability issues. But if they haven't then I plan on doing my first custom cooling setup since the days of the fish tank pump and heater core. lol
Posted on Reply
#2
Caring1
So basically they added a new pump with a larger surface area to an aged design, as can be seen by the processor compatibility shown, they don't even have AM4 or 2011-3 or newer listed.
Posted on Reply
#3
Valantar
Caring1 said:
So basically they added a new pump with a larger surface area to an aged design, as can be seen by the processor compatibility shown, they don't even have AM4 or 2011-3 or newer listed.
This is an update to a socket TR4-specific design that launched alongside the first generation of Threadripper. The reason for its incompatibility with other sockets is the giant cold plate and the mounting hole spacing used for TR4. While it would probably be possible to make the mounting bracket removable and add brackets for other platforms (I've seen other TR4+AM4 compatible coolers), it'd be quite meaningless for them to do this given how much smaller these CPUs are than a TR/Epyc IHS. This includes 2011-3, even if it's a bit larger than 115x and AM4 IHSes - a TR IHS is still about twice as large.

Edit: never mind, I didn't see the socket listing in that image, nor have I seen similar lists for the previous model. Weird. IIRC, this has always been advertised as a TR-specific SKU. Wonder what changed.

Flyordie said:
This may be an option for me on my TR build down the road. As long as they have fixed the pump reliability issues. But if they haven't then I plan on doing my first custom cooling setup since the days of the fish tank pump and heater core. lol
Hm, I haven't heard of any pump reliability issues with this model, and the one in my GF's editing workstation has been running fine for quite a while. Has this even been out long enough to show weaknesses like that?

In case you're wondering, it has excellent cooling performance, but the fans are too noisy for my tastes. Good thing it's not my PC :p
Posted on Reply
#4
IceShroom
Are you sure it LIQMAX not LIQTECH?:confused:
Posted on Reply
#6
zenlaserman
Holy smokes, 350W!! I wish this existed back when I was trying to hit 4.5 on an AMD 1090T.

This AIO might even handle an FX9k series!
Posted on Reply
#7
Nihilus
zenlaserman said:
Holy smokes, 350W!! I wish this existed back when I was trying to hit 4.5 on an AMD 1090T.

This AIO might even handle an FX9k series!
Hell yeah. Even more impressive is the 310w of the 120mm setup, which goes to show you that 360mm and 280mm setups are often gimmicks.

Those huge radiator setups don't really mean crap if they dont have the pump or cold plate to back them up. Radiator thickness and fan quality are often overlooked too.
Posted on Reply
#8
Valantar
IceShroom said:
Are you sure it LIQMAX not LIQTECH?:confused:
diatribe said:
Here's the product page for the LIQTECH Threadripper TR4 AIO.
Yeah, that's what I thought this was about. Weird and confusing stuff. Why would they include TR4 compatibility in an old unit with a much smaller cold plate? Is the press release wrong, or did TR make a mistake?

zenlaserman said:
Holy smokes, 350W!! I wish this existed back when I was trying to hit 4.5 on an AMD 1090T.

This AIO might even handle an FX9k series!
Nihilus said:
Hell yeah. Even more impressive is the 310w of the 120mm setup, which goes to show you that 360mm and 280mm setups are often gimmicks.

Those huge radiator setups don't really mean crap if they dont have the pump or cold plate to back them up. Radiator thickness and fan quality are often overlooked too.
The LiqTech TR4 240mm and above are all rated for 500W+.
Posted on Reply
#9
JNCW886
I just saw the news of the new cooler for AMD Threadripper...
http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/press_b_1&no=132

It's called LIQTECH TR4 II, the 2nd gen of the LIQTECH TR4, fyi.

Valantar said:
Yeah, that's what I thought this was about. Weird and confusing stuff. Why would they include TR4 compatibility in an old unit with a much smaller cold plate? Is the press release wrong, or did TR make a mistake?



The LiqTech TR4 240mm and above are all rated for 500W+.
Posted on Reply
#10
MrGenius
JNCW886 said:
I just saw the news of the new cooler for AMD Threadripper...
http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/press_b_1&no=132

It's called LIQTECH TR4 II, the 2nd gen of the LIQTECH TR4, fyi.
Yeah...this thread is fake news if there ever was any. It needs deleted and/or completely rewritten. How embarrassing. :oops:
Posted on Reply
#11
Valantar
MrGenius said:
Yeah...this thread is fake news if there ever was any. It needs deleted and/or completely rewritten. How embarrassing. :oops:
Not what "fake news" means, but sure, there's definitely something inaccurate going on here. Implying that someone intentionally made this up or twisted the truth - as "fake news" implies - is rather absurd, though.

Btw, here are the spec pages for the LiqTech II 240 and 360. Seems the main new thing here is adressable RGB LEDs on the pump/block. And it's as TR4-exlusive as ever, by the way.

Posted on Reply
Add your own comment