Thursday, November 23rd 2017

Bethesda Continues to Struggle With Fallout 76, Refunds Now a Possibility

With the release of Fallout 76 a week ago, Bethesda continues the tradition of releasing buggy games that are full of glitches and issues. These problems are always expected to come from Bethesda; typically the game is still fun however unlike previous titles, Fallout 76 is has been universally panned by gamers and critics alike. At this point, some of the bugs, exploits, and problems are just hilariously bad. Tools such as Nukacrypt are already available online, using only a partial code it can decrypt the in-game nuclear launch codes drastically speeding up the overall process. Keeping with nuke theme, players working together were able to crash a Bethesda server by launching three nukes simultaneously. There are more glaring examples but when you add them to the laundry list of problems its begins to look pretty bad even for Bethesda.

Then there is Brogadyn on Reddit, who for a week now has been stuck in a semi-god mode. Usually that would be something to rejoice about but in this case, has caused many issues with the game's mechanics as the player is seen to have 0 HP. Worse yet, Bethesda has been dragging their feet when it comes to looking into the problem with Brogadyn speculating that they could reproduce the issue based on the circumstances in which the issue occurred. When you consider all this along with the general bugs, glitches, and problems that are typically a minor annoyance, you end up with a game that likely should have stayed in beta.
In general Fallout 76 is currently such a mess that the game is already discounted by $20 just about everywhere, including from Bethesda themselves. Adding to the problem is the sad fact gameplay is considered quite dull making for a perfect storm where it was only a matter of time before the refund chant would begin which is likely sooner rather than later thanks to Fernando, a user on the Resetera forums, who has supposedly managed to receive a refund from Bethesda directly. Meaning if you bought the game elsewhere you might be out of luck, but if you bought it directly from Bethesda, you might stand a chance at getting your money back.

Still looking at Steam and its current refund policy it is highly likely the game would already be experiencing a massive number of refunds if it was available on that distribution platform. Bethesda's avoidance of Steam on this title means they are in control of refunds which with no clearly defined terms leaves a lot of questions unanswered. That said, considering Bethesda warned everyone how buggy the game would be I guess no one should be surprised by the current events. Sources: Bethesda, Resetera, Youtube, Kotaku
Add your own comment

127 Comments on Bethesda Continues to Struggle With Fallout 76, Refunds Now a Possibility

#51
neatfeatguy
Bladej said:
Bethesda don't want to refund my pre-order of Fallout 76, after i`ve played like 3 hours of it, they said this, i think they are giving me this treatment cause i`m not from USA, thats racism man, or w/e its called, xeno etc...
Off topic, but....
Seriously, people need to learn how to properly use the word "racism" or "racist". Using it incorrectly or constantly when it's not warranted devalues the word or teaches people the wrong meaning of it.

Racism:
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.


Bethesda not wanting to do a refund for you or anyone else is not a form of racism. You could argue that they're discriminating against you, but you'd still need a solid ground to back up your idea. Hopefully this will help better guide your decisions of not pre-ordering games in the future.
Posted on Reply
#52
lexluthermiester
neatfeatguy said:
Bethesda not wanting to do a refund for you or anyone else is not a form of racism.
Correct, it's a form of greed!
neatfeatguy said:
better guide your decisions of not pre-ordering games in the future.
Pre-ordering games is a flawed mentality to begin with, for oh so many reasons.
Posted on Reply
#55
Bladej
The servers are empty, and full of bugs...so you are left playing a single player game with no single player mode
Posted on Reply
#56
Darmok N Jalad
lexluthermiester said:
Pre-ordering games is a flawed mentality to begin with, for oh so many reasons.
Especially in the era of good supply and multiple distribution models. I’m old enough to remember calling around to find out who had a Sega Genesis title in stock. Now you are just at the mercy of your download speed. :p

The “level up” games are the ones that make people want to preorder so they aren’t behind their piers. I’ve never worried that much about such things, and I’m a Destiny 2 player.
Posted on Reply
#57
lexluthermiester
Darmok N Jalad said:
I’m old enough to remember calling around to find out who had a Sega Genesis title in stock.
Ah the good old days. For me it was the NES..
Posted on Reply
#58
Darmok N Jalad
lexluthermiester said:
Ah the good old days. For me it was the NES..
My buddy down the street had the SNES, and I had the Genesis. We just bought the best titles for each console. I do remember playing NES, but my first console was the Sega Master System. Didn’t want to fiddle with that terrible cartridge loading issue on the NES. It sure sucked when it wiped our Zelda game saves!
Posted on Reply
#59
EntropyZ
I wish Borderlands 3 was out rather than this steaming pile of garbage. Honestly, people should have got Borderlands 1 & 2 GOTY instead of this.
Posted on Reply
#60
Ravenas
What are the chances Bethesda keeps this game off Steam? Lol...
Posted on Reply
#61
INSTG8R
Ravenas said:
What are the chances Bethesda keeps this game off Steam? Lol...
Pretty substantial. With their own launcher they maintain complete and utter control iin this situation because it’s nothing but their products and their rules makes that whole no refund easier too.
Posted on Reply
#62
Chloe Price
I may be getting this when I can find this for about 10 euros. Fallout 4 already sucked, and this feels a lot worse.

Also game not being in Steam is a huge minus for me.
Posted on Reply
#63
Octopuss
I've just realized I might not be able to play the next TES game even if it magically isn't technical piece of shit (lol) - the launcher. There's no way in hell they'd be releasing anything on Steam anymore now that they have this, and there's no way in hell I'd be buying under those conditions....
Posted on Reply
#64
Legacy-ZA
Bethesda sure is receiving a ton of fallout for this. *Ba-dum-tsss*
Posted on Reply
#65
Vayra86
lexluthermiester said:
Not true. I've done it to Steam. I bought a game that refused to run, at all, then demanded a refund. They refused. I disputed the charge, it was reversed. I then notified them that ANY retaliatory action would be met with responses they would not enjoy. They responded with an apology and an assurance that future problems would be handled in accordance to consumer protection laws. They of course removed the game from my library.

Folks if you don't defend your rights, you lose them. Never back down, never take no for an answer. If they want your money, they have to earn it and respect you in the process.
This man gets it and my experience is similar. If your demands are reasonable and you keep it factual, you always win.
Posted on Reply
#66
coonbro
TheOne said:
The game is apparently on sale for $35 on Amazon.

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-drops-in-price-again-to-dollar35/
the ''game '' ? or just a steam / uplay/ orgin client packaged up as you think you get the game ?

i'll bety you have to go see them first well before yopu get to fully load and install and play ...lol suckers ..

back in the real pc game days you got the full game on a disk or disks with out the need of 3ed party / internet connection and all required . then if it was a bad game like see with this one you take it back to wal mart and get your money back

last I reall like steam don't give refunds just credit toward something else . then don't for get with a full game disk like it use to be you hold the full software not a steam / uplay / orgin rental . the disk is yours forever to load install and play as you want . not needing to see that 3ed party or lose your account or what ever and your harddrive or something fails you got nothing with out them . with a full good ol' retail disk just reload and play at your convince not theres unless the full retail disk gets physically destroyed is the only way I can loose my games not cause of a 3ed party like steam done me in somehow ..lol.. oh.. then I don't have a steam / uplay / orggin client collecting my data or slipping content / updates under my nose.

also look how bethesta drug Id's good name through the mud .
Posted on Reply
#67
INSTG8R
coonbro said:
the ''game '' ? or just a steam / uplay/ orgin client packaged up as you think you get the game ?

i'll bety you have to go see them first well before yopu get to fully load and install and play ...lol suckers ..

back in the real pc game days you got the full game on a disk or disks with out the need of 3ed party / internet connection and all required . then if it was a bad game like see with this one you take it back to wal mart and get your money back

last I reall like steam don't give refunds just credit toward something else . then don't for get with a full game disk like it use to be you hold the full software not a steam / uplay / orgin rental . the disk is yours forever to load install and play as you want . not needing to see that 3ed party or lose your account or what ever and your harddrive or something fails you got nothing with out them . with a full good ol' retail disk just reload and play at your convince not theres unless the full retail disk gets physically destroyed is the only way I can loose my games not cause of a 3ed party like steam done me in somehow ..lol.. oh.. then I don't have a steam / uplay / orggin client collecting my data or slipping content / updates under my nose.

also look how bethesta drug Id's good name through the mud .
I have refunded more than a few games in the last year on Steam. I always you Paypal the refund goes back to them then back into my bank account. As long as you're within their refund parameters it just gets done and usually not even 24hrs of the refund request. I'm getting pretty close to 500 Steam games on my account but lately I have no compunctions about refunding a game if I know right away it's either bad or just not for me. ALWAYS gotten my refund there has never been any "credit" nonsense as you seem to think. I do believe you do have a choice to either refund or add the funds to your Steam Wallet but again that is your choice always.
Posted on Reply
#68
coonbro
INSTG8R said:
I have refunded more than a few games in the last year on Steam. I always you Paypal the refund goes back to them then back into my bank account. As long as you're within their refund parameters it just gets done and usually not even 24hrs of the refund request. I'm getting pretty close to 500 Steam games on my account but lately I have no compunctions about refunding a game if I know right away it's either bad or just not for me. ALWAYS gotten my refund there has never been any "credit" nonsense as you seem to think. I do believe you do have a choice to either refund or add the funds to your Steam Wallet but again that is your choice always.
I did need to spell that out a bit more .. and looks to have changed over time [2015] shows how I support and use these crap game platforms / not.

https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

use to be a lot of griping on that

like from this ''so long as the DLC has not been consumed, modified or transferred '' modified ? like you try to install the game and they do there uploads and content and all to it first = modified .

heres one more thing

''
you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet.

For reasons that include, without limitation, system security, stability, and multiplayer interoperability, Steam may need to automatically update, pre-load, create new versions of or otherwise enhance the Content and Services and accordingly, the system requirements to use the Content and Services may change over time. You consent to such automatic updating


ley wording here ' without limitation '' you just turned your computer / hard drive over to them [who ever they are ?? ] my system security ? stability ? YA sure !! I AGREE !! a guy got to be pretty dense or knuckle headed to agree to something like that

over just to play one of these crap games . ya they see you coming a mile away

real pc games on the full retail disk you use in private no steam / uplay / origin or internet required or downloads content or there foot in your hard drives ..

pretty sad how willing folks are to give all that up over a cheap buggy game . then say how great it is [ya, great for them not you ]

any way enjoy
Posted on Reply
#69
Vayra86
coonbro said:
I did need to spell that out a bit more .. and looks to have changed over time [2015] shows how I support and use these crap game platforms / not.

https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

use to be a lot of griping on that

like from this ''so long as the DLC has not been consumed, modified or transferred '' modified ? like you try to install the game and they do there uploads and content and all to it first = modified .

heres one more thing

''
you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet.

For reasons that include, without limitation, system security, stability, and multiplayer interoperability, Steam may need to automatically update, pre-load, create new versions of or otherwise enhance the Content and Services and accordingly, the system requirements to use the Content and Services may change over time. You consent to such automatic updating


ley wording here ' without limitation '' you just turned your computer / hard drive over to them [who ever they are ?? ] my system security ? stability ? YA sure !! I AGREE !! a guy got to be pretty dense or knuckle headed to agree to something like that

over just to play one of these crap games . ya they see you coming a mile away

real pc games on the full retail disk you use in private no steam / uplay / origin or internet required or downloads content or there foot in your hard drives ..

pretty sad how willing folks are to give all that up over a cheap buggy game . then say how great it is [ya, great for them not you ]

any way enjoy
I think you suffer from flawed logic and reading comprehension here.

This statement is in the context of the content you have on Steam. Not in the context of your PC. So yes, when running the application(s), wouldn't you want Steam to have the consent to improve the stability and operability/functionality of it? The medium that the data to improve (update) the application through is Steam. As provider of the data, they have the obligation to make sure it does not harm your system's security. For example, this means they won't be installing a rootkit or fiddle with the Windows kernel. And if they create a leak, they will need to close it.

You reading that as turning over your hard drive or PC to them so they can hijack it in some way is ridiculous and it wouldn't stand a day in court, nor are there ANY examples of Steam doing anything nefarious like that. Get real and take off the tin-foil hat...
Posted on Reply
#70
TheOne
It would be nice to be able to control game updates on Steam, though rare there are occasions were updates can negatively impact your games, especially if you like to mod your games, such as Fallout 4.
Posted on Reply
#71
windwhirl
TheOne said:
It would be nice to be able to control game updates on Steam, though rare there are occasions were updates can negatively impact your games, especially if you like to mod your games, such as Fallout 4.
I personally find annoying that I have to wait for the game updates to be installed before I can play it. My Internet speed is low, so downloading them can take a while. I would prefer if Steam downloaded them in the background and then when it finishes pop a box saying "we need to close the game to apply updates, Y/N"
Posted on Reply
#72
kurosagi01
One thing I have noticed over few years since Fallout 3 release,I have never really understood why Bethesda always get the okay treatment when they have track record of releasing buggy games, people that do love their games always give them the "ok" pass because the game will be "fixed" after few patches. But if it was a different studio and game that has lot of bugs and then it be fixed later on, people will start throwing the hate comments.
Posted on Reply
#73
TheOne
Personally for me the only issue I've ever had are CTD's, and some of those didn't happen until years after my first playthrough.
Posted on Reply
#74
lexluthermiester
Vayra86 said:
You reading that as turning over your hard drive or PC to them so they can hijack it in some way is ridiculous and it wouldn't stand a day in court, nor are there ANY examples of Steam doing anything nefarious like that. Get real and take off the tin-foil hat...
You nailed that one spot on.
Posted on Reply
#75
moproblems99
coonbro said:

ley wording here ' without limitation '' you just turned your computer / hard drive over to them [who ever they are ?? ] my system security ? stability ? YA sure !! I AGREE !! a guy got to be pretty dense or knuckle headed to agree to something like that

over just to play one of these crap games . ya they see you coming a mile away

real pc games on the full retail disk you use in private no steam / uplay / origin or internet required or downloads content or there foot in your hard drives ..

pretty sad how willing folks are to give all that up over a cheap buggy game . then say how great it is [ya, great for them not you ]

any way enjoy
If you are worried about all that, you need to disconnect the internet since someone else's computer could sneeze and yours might catch it.

Edit:

As Vayra said, they have no interest in your hard drive contents. Only in making sure their platform can suck all the money out of your wallet it can. Which means an updated, secure, and optimized application. Besides, they make far more money selling people games than looking at people's youporn habits.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment