Friday, November 23rd 2018

Bethesda Continues to Struggle With Fallout 76, Refunds Now a Possibility

With the release of Fallout 76 a week ago, Bethesda continues the tradition of releasing buggy games that are full of glitches and issues. These problems are always expected to come from Bethesda; typically the game is still fun however unlike previous titles, Fallout 76 is has been universally panned by gamers and critics alike. At this point, some of the bugs, exploits, and problems are just hilariously bad. Tools such as Nukacrypt are already available online, using only a partial code it can decrypt the in-game nuclear launch codes drastically speeding up the overall process. Keeping with nuke theme, players working together were able to crash a Bethesda server by launching three nukes simultaneously. There are more glaring examples but when you add them to the laundry list of problems its begins to look pretty bad even for Bethesda.

Then there is Brogadyn on Reddit, who for a week now has been stuck in a semi-god mode. Usually that would be something to rejoice about but in this case, has caused many issues with the game's mechanics as the player is seen to have 0 HP. Worse yet, Bethesda has been dragging their feet when it comes to looking into the problem with Brogadyn speculating that they could reproduce the issue based on the circumstances in which the issue occurred. When you consider all this along with the general bugs, glitches, and problems that are typically a minor annoyance, you end up with a game that likely should have stayed in beta.
In general Fallout 76 is currently such a mess that the game is already discounted by $20 just about everywhere, including from Bethesda themselves. Adding to the problem is the sad fact gameplay is considered quite dull making for a perfect storm where it was only a matter of time before the refund chant would begin which is likely sooner rather than later thanks to Fernando, a user on the Resetera forums, who has supposedly managed to receive a refund from Bethesda directly. Meaning if you bought the game elsewhere you might be out of luck, but if you bought it directly from Bethesda, you might stand a chance at getting your money back.

Still looking at Steam and its current refund policy it is highly likely the game would already be experiencing a massive number of refunds if it was available on that distribution platform. Bethesda's avoidance of Steam on this title means they are in control of refunds which with no clearly defined terms leaves a lot of questions unanswered. That said, considering Bethesda warned everyone how buggy the game would be I guess no one should be surprised by the current events. Sources: Bethesda, Resetera, Youtube, Kotaku
Add your own comment

127 Comments on Bethesda Continues to Struggle With Fallout 76, Refunds Now a Possibility

#76
Vario
TheOne said:
It would be nice to be able to control game updates on Steam, though rare there are occasions were updates can negatively impact your games, especially if you like to mod your games, such as Fallout 4.
GTAIV losing a lot of its music for one. I paused the download on that one for ages.
Posted on Reply
#77
Assimilator
"... you end up with a game that likely should have stayed in beta."

You mean, "never have been released".

neatfeatguy said:
I stepped off the back of a car in Fallout 4 - that means I was less than 2 feet off the ground....I died mid air before my body hit the ground. Full health? Yes. Does it matter? Apparently not.
Cars are honestly the most dangerous thing in the Commonwealth because of the janky-ass way they interact with the janky-ass Gamebryo physics engine.
Posted on Reply
#78
enxo218
Let it burn nobody asked for another fallout title...let alone an always online one. Bethesda needs to sort out its priorities and work on es 6 something actually required by gamers
Posted on Reply
#79
R-T-B
Meanwhile I am playing Deep Rock Galactic and they call that game an Alpha.

By Bethesda standards, that would be a "10 years after release" quality... I have yet to see a bug!

Assimilator said:
Gamebryo physics engine.
Worked ok for Fantasy games like Skyrim/Oblivion. I never knew why they thought it'd be good for Fallout...
Posted on Reply
#80
lexluthermiester
enxo218 said:
Let it burn nobody asked for another fallout title...let alone an always online one. Bethesda needs to sort out its priorities and work on es 6 something actually required by gamers
The thing is, Fallout3/NewVegas are very good, even today. Why they didn't stay in touch with that formulae/feel is beyond me. Greed is the only thing I can figure. They, like many other devs, have lost sight of what makes/made gaming so awesome; The Artistry of it all. Making games worth playing takes talent/skill mixed with inspiration, hard work and patience.
Posted on Reply
#81
Assimilator
R-T-B said:
Worked ok for Fantasy games like Skyrim/Oblivion.
Uh okay then.



lexluthermiester said:
The thing is, Fallout3/NewVegas are very good, even today. Why they didn't stay in touch with that formulae/feel is beyond me. Greed is the only thing I can figure. They, like many other devs, have lost sight of what makes/made gaming so awesome; The Artistry of it all. Making games worth playing takes talent/skill mixed with inspiration, hard work and patience.
Fallout 3 wasn't brilliant IMO, I think it's just that a lot of people have a lot of nostalgia for what was a very successful transition of the series from a 2D isometric third-person tactical shooter to a first-person shooter.

New Vegas, on the other hand, was the dog's bollocks (as well as its expansions). Bethesda is good at worldbuilding (when they actually try) but they need to base their main story on something other than "MY FAMILY MEMBER IS LOST/KILLED BOO HOO HOO", Obsidian just went with "REVENGE IS SWEET" and it worked so very well. Obsidian did so many other things better, actually... yeah the Legion were cardboard cutout evildoers but they had more character than any evil faction Bethesda's ever written.
Posted on Reply
#82
bajs11
well I am not surprised considering Bethesda decided to release the creation club instead of fixing the bugs in Fallout 4.
Posted on Reply
#83
R-T-B
Assimilator said:
Uh okay then.





Fallout 3 wasn't brilliant IMO, I think it's just that a lot of people have a lot of nostalgia for what was a very successful transition of the series from a 2D isometric third-person tactical shooter to a first-person shooter.

New Vegas, on the other hand, was the dog's bollocks (as well as its expansions). Bethesda is good at worldbuilding (when they actually try) but they need to base their main story on something other than "MY FAMILY MEMBER IS LOST/KILLED BOO HOO HOO", Obsidian just went with "REVENGE IS SWEET" and it worked so very well. Obsidian did so many other things better, actually... yeah the Legion were cardboard cutout evildoers but they had more character than any evil faction Bethesda's ever written.
The physics were part of the charm... I used to just RP that my character had cerebral palsy.
Posted on Reply
#84
Gasaraki
jboydgolfer said:
It's sad because they're using a game engine that I believe they started using when they made Skyrim ,or that at least has remnants from that era. Issues that carried over from years back, issues that were fixed by modders, which they could have somehow included in this newest version of fall out, but were either too lazy or too stubborn to do so. Even the PIP boy menu that is native to fall out 76 is awful, and a mod was released three days after fallout 76 came out that greatly improved it. If a modder can do it in three days ,why can't an entire dev team do it in three years? Sad. & what is the deal with not being able to sneak attack multiplayers? they dont take damage until they shoot back?! an absolute fail. I bought it on PC & Xbone, and they are both trash (kids).

Edit:

What blows my mind even more than all the failings of this release, Is when it's proponents will claim "but it's fun when you play with friends". A ping pong ball is fun when you play with friends, snowballs are fun when you play with friends, Hell farting is fun when it's done with friends. A game being fun when it's played with friends doesn't say a lot for that game, Especially when it's the strongest part or positive aspect of that game. Just because 10% of players are content with this game ,doesn't mean anything other than they don't see its faults. A blind man may not see floors covered in shit, but just because he doesn't see the shit , it doesn't mean it's not there. but rest assured, he still slips around on it when he walks, so he's aware, but some choose to ignore its presence.
Skyrim's engine is from Fallout 3 and Fallout 3's engine is from Morrowind. Morrowind's engine is from Daggerfall etc. You get the drift. The minute they released the screenshots of Fallout 76, I could see that it's the same engine no matter how much lipstick they put on it. It's still a pig.
Posted on Reply
#85
Octopuss
I don't think Daggerfall is the same engine, not even the oldest possible versions. It just looks and behaves complete differently. Also keep in mind Daggerfall is pure DOS game.
Posted on Reply
#86
R-T-B
Octopuss said:
I don't think Daggerfall is the same engine
It's not.
Posted on Reply
#87
Octopuss
I have fond memories of Daggerfall. I played the shit out of it in my teens.
The randomly generated dungeons with all the engine bugs could still give me creeps though. I never progressed with the story one bit :D
Posted on Reply
#88
Vario
Finally got around to playing Fallout 4, 10 hours in so far I like it better than the 3 and New Vegas. I had replayed Fallout 2 only a few years before 3 and so 3 felt like an Oblivion mod. I beat FO3 and never thought about replaying it. New Vegas I got bored shortly after completing the tutorial I never even got to Vegas. Strangely, I liked Fallout 2 a lot.

In comparison to the other 3D games, I think the thing that makes 4 better for me than the other 3D games was it has less dialog and more FPS. It feels more like a STALKER or Metro.

R-T-B said:
Meanwhile I am playing Deep Rock Galactic and they call that game an Alpha.

By Bethesda standards, that would be a "10 years after release" quality... I have yet to see a bug!



Worked ok for Fantasy games like Skyrim/Oblivion. I never knew why they thought it'd be good for Fallout...
There were a number of enjoyable bugs a few months ago in DRG such as digging a hole, filling it with engineer platforms, and then summoning the drop pod with the mule. This would cause the drop pod to spawn directly at your location. Another bug was one that allowed more than 4 players in a game. DRG has been pretty good with fixing these bugs and exploits though. Its a polished game. The model of how an early access game studio should operate.

Gasaraki said:
Skyrim's engine is from Fallout 3 and Fallout 3's engine is from Morrowind. Morrowind's engine is from Daggerfall etc. You get the drift. The minute they released the screenshots of Fallout 76, I could see that it's the same engine no matter how much lipstick they put on it. It's still a pig.
A bit of a stretch in logic. The ancestor programs of a current program are not the same as the current program.
Posted on Reply
#89
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
Vario said:
A bit of a stretch in logic. The ancestor programs of a current program are not the same as the current program.
He may have overstated it just a bit, but the engine is the same one all the way back to morrowind.
Posted on Reply
#90
R-T-B
Vario said:
There were a number of enjoyable bugs a few months ago in DRG such as digging a hole, filling it with engineer platforms, and then summoning the drop pod with the mule. This would cause the drop pod to spawn directly at your location. Another bug was one that allowed more than 4 players in a game. DRG has been pretty good with fixing these bugs and exploits though. Its a polished game. The model of how an early access game studio should operate.
Now that you mention it, I did see one "bug" but it was almost my fault. I tried to smash my mule with a resupply pod (because I'm an asshat) and he got stuck, so he couldn't be retrieved. Thus, they would not open the gate to let ME in. I was abandoned to die in my dwarven space mine.
Posted on Reply
#91
Darmok N Jalad
Assimilator said:
"... you end up with a game that likely should have stayed in beta."

You mean, "never have been released".



Cars are honestly the most dangerous thing in the Commonwealth because of the janky-ass way they interact with the janky-ass Gamebryo physics engine.
HL2 has a place where you can cause Barney to trip over a piece of furniture and it kills him.
Posted on Reply
#92
moproblems99
Vario said:
A bit of a stretch in logic. The ancestor programs of a current program are not the same as the current program.
The problem is that they used duct tape where they needed bolts. Everything else was fixed with hopes and prayers.
Posted on Reply
#95
techy1
good, I hope Bethesda will have their lesson and will quit the shenanigans when the Elderscrolls release will come.
Posted on Reply
#98
Octopuss
Looks like Fallout 76 could be another ME: Andromeda, only in Andromeda there was something resembling content.

Giant Bomb has said they will not publish a full review due to disinterest of the staff to play it enough to reach a final verdict.

olololol :D:D:D
Posted on Reply
#99
Darmok N Jalad
Assimilator said:
Manually triggering a bug to kill an NPC, vs a bug that kills the player in normal gameplay, aren't quite the same thing.
The post was more for humor, as you were talking about simple objects being so dangerous.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment