Monday, April 4th 2016

id Software Readies Quake Champions with Vulkan Support and Ryzen Optimization

With the success of Blizzard's "Overwatch," it's only natural for game studio Bethesda to develop the oldest, most successful hero-based FPS brand from the early 2000s, "Quake III Arena," into a brand-new title that keeps up with the times, and perhaps even sets new standards. That title is "Quake Champions," and Bethesda is tapping into big id Software talent in its development.

"Quake Champions" will by driven by a proprietary engine that's not id Tech 6. This game will take advantage of the Vulkan API, besides an OpenGL fallback, and as part of an agreement between Bethesda and AMD, it could feature optimization for AMD Ryzen processors. "Quake Champions" will build on the things that made Quake III Arena a cult-classic, besides featuring a cutting-edge production design. Besides PC, the game will launch on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 platforms.
Source: PCGH
Add your own comment

23 Comments on id Software Readies Quake Champions with Vulkan Support and Ryzen Optimization

#1
Readlight
Just now bought Serious Sam Fusion 2017 (beta) it has Vulkan api but looks like DirectX works faster i think.
May be optimizations needed to be compatible whit all hardware and rendering engines.
Posted on Reply
#3
uuuaaaaaa
Can't wait to play Quake Champions for the next 10 years, and vulkan support is definitely good news!
Posted on Reply
#4
Mescalamba
Unlike OW, Im actually interested in playing this.

Now where is that UT99 remake.. :D
Posted on Reply
#5
urza26
I fail to see how Quake and Overwatch relate to one another. You make it sound like Overwatch revived the shooter genre as if CS, BF and CoD aren't a thing for years now.
Posted on Reply
#6
Mescalamba
urza26 said:
I fail to see how Quake and Overwatch relate to one another. You make it sound like Overwatch revived the shooter genre as if CS, BF and CoD aren't a thing for years now.
Probably tied to Quake Champions being something like TF2 clone (much like OW). Except QC seemed to be quite a bit less of a clone..
Posted on Reply
#7
dj-electric
Mescalamba said:
Unlike OW, Im actually interested in playing this.

Now where is that UT99 remake.. :D
Unreal Tournament is probably what you're looking for. I mean the new, in development one.
Posted on Reply
#8
silentbogo
With all the cinematic beauty for some reason it looks more like UT to me, rather than mighty-ole Quake.
I did sign up for closed beta anyways. We'll see if I get lucky.
Posted on Reply
#9
Ubersonic
"Quake Champions" will build on the things that made Quake III Arena a cult-classic
So it's not going to have different HP/speed/skills for different champions after all then? Because that Overwatch ripoff **** would have ruined Q3 lol.

Mescalamba said:
Probably tied to Quake Champions being something like TF2 clone
2017, when a Quake game can be called a clone of a standalone version of a Quake mod :p
Posted on Reply
#10
uuuaaaaaa
Ubersonic said:
So it's not going to have different HP/speed/skills for different champions after all then? Because that Overwatch ripoff **** would have ruined Q3 lol.


2017, when a Quake game can be called a clone of a standalone version of a Quake mod :p
I hope that the competitive duel will have a similar ruleset for all champions and I hope there's no item timers etc... So that it can be a true test of skill with similar tools for both players.
Posted on Reply
#11
RejZoR
Then again there is Reflex Arena as well :P A more direct Quake 3 Arena (spiritual) successor with none of the "heroic" bullshit, just pure carnage porn. The above will sell just because it has Quake in the name anyway...
Posted on Reply
#12
ernorator
If they make mod without hero skills i will sink in this game like i did in ut99
Posted on Reply
#13
uuuaaaaaa
ernorator said:
If they make mod without hero skills i will sink in this game like i did in ut99
I'm pretty sure that it will have that option. They must attract the older hardcore player base, also they will get bashed by us if they don't.
Posted on Reply
#14
YautjaLord
That's the one motherf*cker beside DOOM i'd wanna have on my rig. Will also bring me back to playing Carma: MD & AvP 3/2010's MP. 2017 shaping up choke full of awesome (this, Alien: Covenant, Bloodstock 2017, etc...), shadder to think how awesome 2018 will be. F*ckin'A, bring it on! \m/
Posted on Reply
#15
ADHDGAMING
Really Hate when people use Overwatch (which is a clone of damn near every FPS game) as a comparison as if it reinvented the wheel. That really irks me .. like alot more than it should.
Posted on Reply
#16
1c3d0g
Man oh man.....now THIS is some great news! :cool: For all you young bastards out there, Quake is the granddaddy of all free-for-all, massive carnage FPS games! Those were the good times, when anyone worth their salt was playing Quake. I just hope they bring back the lightning quick speeeed that Quake is known for! :rockout:
Posted on Reply
#17
johnnyfiive
ADHDGAMING said:
Really Hate when people use Overwatch (which is a clone of damn near every FPS game) as a comparison as if it reinvented the wheel. That really irks me .. like alot more than it should.
Why would it irk you when its 100% true? Quake Champions is very much like Overwatch, Paladins and even Battleborn in some ways; Class/Skillset based heros/champions/quakers that you can pick from that make up a team, to fight another team with opposing team compositions. Quake Champions is way more Overwatch than it is Quake 1/2/3/Live.

I've played Quake since Quake 1/Quake World days and the fact that this game is chasing the Overwatch fan base makes me sad. I wanted another Quake 3/Quake Live type of game so we could get some classic duel, FFA, Team DM and CTF back into todays gaming. I'm sick and tired of these team based/class focused games coming out.

Overwatch, Battleborn, Paladins, Law Breakers, and whatever else is coming to the Free 2 Play realm.

I just want a real successor to Quake 3 and Quake Live. I'm irk'ed AF.
Posted on Reply
#18
uuuaaaaaa
johnnyfiive said:
Why would it irk you when its 100% true? Quake Champions is very much like Overwatch, Paladins and even Battleborn in some ways; Class/Skillset based heros/champions/quakers that you can pick from that make up a team, to fight another team with opposing team compositions. Quake Champions is way more Overwatch than it is Quake 1/2/3/Live.

I've played Quake since Quake 1/Quake World days and the fact that this game is chasing the Overwatch fan base makes me sad. I wanted another Quake 3/Quake Live type of game so we could get some classic duel, FFA, Team DM and CTF back into todays gaming. I'm sick and tired of these team based/class focused games coming out.

Overwatch, Battleborn, Paladins, Law Breakers, and whatever else is coming to the Free 2 Play realm.

I just want a real successor to Quake 3 and Quake Live. I'm irk'ed AF.
Sadly I think that Quake Champions could not succeed relying just on the classic game modes of old. The core skills (position/aim, advanced movement, item and environment awareness) are still there hopefully. Our game, Quake needs to adapt to modern audiences. I'm sure that they will have some special rulesets for the oldschoolers :) I hope that the major duel tournaments are played without champions special abilities. i, e, everybody uses Ranger.
Posted on Reply
#19
johnnyfiive
uuuaaaaaa said:
Sadly I think that Quake Champions could not succeed relying just on the classic game modes of old. The core skills (position/aim, advanced movement, item and environment awareness) are still there hopefully. Our game, Quake needs to adapt to modern audiences. I'm sure that they will have some special rulesets for the oldschoolers :) I hope that the major duel tournaments are played without champions special abilities. i, e, everybody uses Ranger.
I think it would do well if it had a tiered system similar to League of Legends and Overwatch; Seasons to rank up in and Duel and Team based Tournaments at the end of each season. Counter Strike and CS Source evolved into GO and its still one of the most popular ESport games many years later. If Quake Live evolved into a more competitive friendly game for all skill levels and had ranks and tiers, I think it would be a pretty damn good game. The Champions and Classes is a way to adapt Quake to today's major Esport FPS class based games (Overwatch and Palandins), but I'd rather they stick to the original formula where aim, map knowledge, prediction and weapon and armor timing all plays into winning a match, instead of relying on character based abilities to force everyone to fight in a cess pool of button smashing garbage.
Posted on Reply
#20
uuuaaaaaa
johnnyfiive said:
I think it would do well if it had a tiered system similar to League of Legends and Overwatch; Seasons to rank up in and Duel and Team based Tournaments at the end of each season. Counter Strike and CS Source evolved into GO and its still one of the most popular ESport games many years later. If Quake Live evolved into a more competitive friendly game for all skill levels and had ranks and tiers, I think it would be a pretty damn good game. The Champions and Classes is a way to adapt Quake to today's major Esport FPS class based games (Overwatch and Palandins), but I'd rather they stick to the original formula where aim, map knowledge, prediction and weapon and armor timing all plays into winning a match, instead of relying on character based abilities to force everyone to fight in a cess pool of button smashing garbage.
I think that the core skills, like you mentioned (item timing etc) will still be the main decider in a game, specially 1v1. I kinda want to believe that this will still be quake, and that it will be good x) Seriously if they do not offer a "classic ruleset" option (quake live ruleset would be a nice balance) I will be damn pissed for sure.
Posted on Reply
#21
Ubersonic
johnnyfiive said:
I just want a real successor to Quake 3 and Quake Live. I'm irk'ed AF.
Hey don't be irked, it it could be worse, I.E Bethesda could buy ID and decide they don't like Quakelive's "free to play, run from a web browser, anywhere anytime" model so move it to Steam, delete years worth of stats then start charging people for it! haha haha ha *cries*.
Posted on Reply
#22
Prima.Vera
Bring back the grenade jump back and I'm all settled.
Posted on Reply
#23
uuuaaaaaa
Ubersonic said:
Hey don't be irked, it it could be worse, I.E Bethesda could buy ID and decide they don't like Quakelive's "free to play, run from a web browser, anywhere anytime" model so move it to Steam, delete years worth of stats then start charging people for it! haha haha ha *cries*.
I feel you brother... My 250k frags achievement :mad:
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment