Thursday, March 8th 2018

AMD Readies Ryzen Threadripper SKUs based on "Pinnacle Ridge" Dies

Hot on the heels of this morning's big AMD Ryzen 2000-series slide dump, comes a new roadmap slide that gives a larger overview of how AMD is addressing various client processor market segments. It begins with the mention of a 2nd generation Ryzen Threadripper series launch within 2018. These chips presumably, are multi-chip modules of the company's new 12 nm "Pinnacle Ridge" silicon, and will be compatible with existing AMD X399 chipset motherboards through BIOS updates. The "Pinnacle Ridge" silicon supports higher clock-speeds, has several microarchitecture refinements, and a few new overclocker-centric features.

The better news is that company seems to be updating its HEDT processor lineup every year; and that the current Threadripper series isn't a one-off halo product like its Athlon64 FX "QuadFX" 2P platform. With "Pinnacle Ridge" based Threadripper 2000-series MCMs slated for 2018; 2019 will see the launch of the new "Castle Peak" HEDT processor. It's not known if this is an MCM. The spiritual successor to "Pinnacle Ridge" is "Matisse." This is Zen 2 based, and will have significant changes to the core design, presenting AMD with an opportunity to review the way it arranges cores. "Picasso" succeeds "Raven Ridge" as the company's Zen 2-based APUs. "Picasso," along with "Matisse" and "Castle Peak" could see AMD implement GlobalFoundries' new 7 nm silicon fabrication process, given its 2019 timeline. 2020 will see their refined avatars - an unnamed "Next-Gen HEDT" chip, "Vermeer," and "Renoir," respectively.
Source: Informatica Cero
Add your own comment

44 Comments on AMD Readies Ryzen Threadripper SKUs based on "Pinnacle Ridge" Dies

#1
Hugh Mungus
Should be pretty awesome! Hopefully threadripper+ will be cheaper because there is no 2800x. I'm hoping for a 100 dollar/euro pricecut across the board.
Posted on Reply
#2
TheLostSwede
"Hugh Mungus said:
Should be pretty awesome! Hopefully threadripper+ will be cheaper because there is no 2800x. I'm hoping for a 100 dollar/euro pricecut across the board.
A $349 threadripper? That might be a bit too optimistic, as supposedly the Ryzen 2700X will come in at $369. Maybe we're lucky to get a $399 part. Could you afford the quad channel RAM to go with it though? :p
Posted on Reply
#3
londiste
Inflection - Optimization.
Tick - Tock.
:)
Posted on Reply
#4
ShurikN
"TheLostSwede said:
A $349 threadripper? That might be a bit too optimistic, as supposedly the Ryzen 2700X will come in at $369. Maybe we're lucky to get a $399 part. Could you afford the quad channel RAM to go with it though? :p
Without the 2800X, maybe an 8c/16t TR makes more sense now (for around $500)
Posted on Reply
#5
Hugh Mungus
"TheLostSwede said:
A $349 threadripper? That might be a bit too optimistic, as supposedly the Ryzen 2700X will come in at $369. Maybe we're lucky to get a $399 part. Could you afford the quad channel RAM to go with it though? :p
? Where did you get that 349 from?
Posted on Reply
#6
TheLostSwede
"Hugh Mungus said:
? Where did you get that 349 from?
The cheapest threadripper today is the 1900X which goes for $449, so if you want a $100 price cut, that's $349, no?
Posted on Reply
#7
Upgrayedd
"TheLostSwede said:
A $349 threadripper? That might be a bit too optimistic, as supposedly the Ryzen 2700X will come in at $369. Maybe we're lucky to get a $399 part. Could you afford the quad channel RAM to go with it though? :p
I wonder how many people will skip DDR4 altogether because of the shit prices. I'm hoping to at least, another 3 years?
Posted on Reply
#8
gmn 17
Let’s hope an increase in core count happens too a 32core/64thread TR would be awesome
Posted on Reply
#9
ratirt
I wonder why there is no 2800X. Is AMD planning to release a 2800X later with 12 cores for AM4? That would be so cool. hope they didn't ditch the 2800x but on the other hand 2700x is doing well enough if what we've seen so far with the leaks is true.
Posted on Reply
#10
T1beriu
I glad TPU finally found out that TR2 is coming this year on Ryzen 2 dies, something that was announced at AMD Tech Day at CES. Better late than never, I guess. :)
Posted on Reply
#11
nemesis.ie
"T1beriu said:
I glad TPU finally found out that TR2 is coming this year on Ryzen 2 dies, something that was announced at AMD Tech Day at CES. Better late than never, I guess. :)
The ones coming this year are not Ryzen 2 though (they are calling them the 2000 series), they are "Ryzen +".

Ryzen 2 (presumably 3000 series) is next year I believe.
Posted on Reply
#12
bug
Even if this comes in at $500-600, it still sets an upper limit for pricing of less capable CPUs. So we all win, even if we don't buy Threadrippers.
Posted on Reply
#13
phill
I hope that 2018 is the year for AMD.....
Posted on Reply
#14
bug
"phill said:
I hope that 2018 is the year for AMD.....
And by that you mean?
Posted on Reply
#15
Shamalamadingdong
"nemesis.ie said:
The ones coming this year are not Ryzen 2 though (they are calling them the 2000 series), they are "Ryzen +".

Ryzen 2 (presumably 3000 series) is next year I believe.
They are Ryzen 2. Ryzen is marketing. Zen is architecture. You're confusing the two.
Posted on Reply
#16
phill
"phill said:
I hope that 2018 is the year for AMD.....
With all of these newer AMD CPU's coming out, I hope they are closer to the newer Intels and we as consumers have even more choice.. Like back in the days of socket A or 939... :)
Posted on Reply
#17
bug
"phill said:
With all of these newer AMD CPU's coming out, I hope they are closer to the newer Intels and we as consumers have even more choice.. Like back in the days of socket A or 939... :)
I thought that all of that started last year...
Posted on Reply
#18
EarthDog
"Shamalamadingdong said:
They are Ryzen 2. Ryzen is marketing. Zen is architecture. You're confusing the two.
How about this then....

Zen (already out), Zen+ (now), Zen2.

The media is who started the whole Ryzen 2 garbage. AMD, last I saw, has never said Ryzen 2 with Zen+....
Posted on Reply
#19
nemesis.ie
"Shamalamadingdong said:
They are Ryzen 2. Ryzen is marketing. Zen is architecture. You're confusing the two.
In which case it's the marketing that is confusing. But I think @EarthDog has it right and the "media" has created this apparent confusion (in either direction).

IMO, AMD are (so far) just saying "Ryzen 2000 series" which is based on Zen +.
Posted on Reply
#20
phill
"bug said:
I thought that all of that started last year...
Then may it continue to grow in 2018 :)
Posted on Reply
#21
kastriot
"bug said:
I thought that all of that started last year...
You mad bro? :)
Posted on Reply
#22
EarthDog
"kastriot said:
You mad bro? :)
ESL bro? Seems you misunderstood...
Posted on Reply
#23
kastriot
"EarthDog said:
ESL bro? Seems you misunderstood...
It can be but prevention is always better :)
Posted on Reply
#24
Shamalamadingdong
"EarthDog said:
How about this then....

Zen (already out), Zen+ (now), Zen2.

The media is who started the whole Ryzen 2 garbage. AMD, last I saw, has never said Ryzen 2 with Zen+....
It's shorter to say Ryzen 2 than Ryzen 2000 series. It's only logical for media to call it something short and simple. AMD's marketing probably says Ryzen 2000 and Pinnacle Ridge. Perhaps Zen+. They're all denoting different things.
"nemesis.ie said:
In which case it's the marketing that is confusing. But I think @EarthDog has it right and the "media" has created this apparent confusion (in either direction).

IMO, AMD are (so far) just saying "Ryzen 2000 series" which is based on Zen +.
Yes, the media may have shortened the nomenclature to make it easier to read but it's only readers who mix up Zen and Ryzen. The numbers will diverge further over the coming years so perhaps people will stop confusing the terminology.
I don't see the problem in calling the 2000 series 2. However AMD's marketing department should be fired. The lot of them. They should just have called it something else.
Posted on Reply
#25
EarthDog
"kastriot said:
It can be but prevention is always better :)
Let me say it a different way...

He isn't mad. Not remotely. In fact, his post was a positive statement for AMD. You aren't preventing anything except a clear understanding of his post in your head. :)

Move along. :)

"Shamalamadingdong said:
It's shorter to say Ryzen 2 than Ryzen 2000 series. It's only logical for media to call it something short and simple.
Yes, it is shorter... Logical for them, and a cluster for those without a clue (most everyone).

Pinnacle Ridge is Zen+ - see the slide in this thread.
Raven Ridge is NOT Zen+ and is Ryzen 2000....

...so.....................

Ryzen 2000 can mean Zen or Zen+ depending on if you are talking APU or CPU.

Ryzen 2 is fine, but also confused many as they thought it was Zen 2...good job media.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment