Wednesday, August 22nd 2018

ASRock Intros X370 Pro BTC+ Motherboard

Cryptocurrency mining rig motherboards have, until now, mostly been based on the Intel platform because Intel chipsets put out more PCIe lanes than AMD ones, and because Intel's sub-$100 Pentium/Celeron chips don't have narrower PCIe connectivity from the CPU. ASRock apparently has a lot of unsold AMD X370 chipset inventory, and with the possible introduction of sub-$100 Ryzen chips that have 28 PCIe lanes from the CPU, a use-case has emerged for a mining motherboard based on this platform. We hence have the X370 Pro BTC+. The board features an AM4 socket, with out of the box support for "Pinnacle Ridge" processors. The socket is wired to just one DDR4 DIMM slot, but all eight PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots.

The topmost x16 slot runs at electrical gen 3.0 x4, while the remaining seven slots are gen 3.0 x1, taking advantage of PCIe segmentation of the X370 platform. The board draws power from three 24-pin ATX, 8+4 pin EPS, and a number of Molex outputs, although most of these power connectors are optional. A point to note here is that the D-sub/HDMI display outputs only work if an A-series "Bristol Ridge" or Ryzen "Raven Ridge" APU is used (which have fewer PCIe lanes), so you're bound to take display output from one of the 8 graphics cards. A 1 GbE interface and two USB 3.0 ports make for the rest of it.
Add your own comment

17 Comments on ASRock Intros X370 Pro BTC+ Motherboard

#1
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Way late dont ya think, this is like a biostar board.
Posted on Reply
#2
hat
Enthusiast
Who knows, there could always be another rise in profitability. If I had the cash to buy it and somewhere to put it I wouldn't mind having a board like this. Problem is that and all the other hardware I'd need would be a ridiculously huge investment, so, yeah... not for me.
Posted on Reply
#3
silentbogo
"eidairaman1 said:
Way late dont ya think, this is like a biostar board.
That's what I would've thought, until yesterday.... Apparently there are still people willing to buy this shit en-masse.
Walked into my friends office, and saw him building a pair of brand-spanking new rigs w/ 8xGTX1070s each for a customer (expensive GP104 mining cards, to be more specific). He said 2 more are on the way.
Either someone has way too much money, or someone knows something that I don't...
Posted on Reply
#4
natr0n
I wonder if anyone has tried to sli/crossfire hack mutiple cards woth these boards.
Posted on Reply
#5
Dartenor
Someone is still betting on the April 2020 halving
Posted on Reply
#6
cucker tarlson
"natr0n said:
I wonder if anyone has tried to sli/crossfire hack mutiple cards woth these boards.
cpu lanes would be a major problem
Posted on Reply
#7
jabbadap
8xfull size pcie ports and 7xUSB A -> pcie x1 riser ports. So that one could drive 15 cards for mining, or? Hopefully gpu mining stays dead a little while.
Posted on Reply
#8
Outback Bronze
"silentbogo said:
That's what I would've thought, until yesterday.... Apparently there are still people willing to buy this shit en-masse.
Walked into my friends office, and saw him building a pair of brand-spanking new rigs w/ 8xGTX1070s each for a customer (expensive GP104 mining cards, to be more specific). He said 2 more are on the way.
Either someone has way too much money, or someone knows something that I don't...
Probably found a way for free power..
Posted on Reply
#9
cucker tarlson
"jabbadap said:
8xfull size pcie ports and 7xUSB A -> pcie x1 riser ports. So that one could drive 15 cards for mining, or? Hopefully gpu mining stays dead a little while.
Lol at least we can be sure no miner touches RTX cards.

"silentbogo said:
That's what I would've thought, until yesterday.... Apparently there are still people willing to buy this shit en-masse.
Walked into my friends office, and saw him building a pair of brand-spanking new rigs w/ 8xGTX1070s each for a customer (expensive GP104 mining cards, to be more specific). He said 2 more are on the way.
Either someone has way too much money, or someone knows something that I don't...
Cause power is dirt cheap on Ukraine and gtx 1070/1070Ti/1080 cards are back to normals prices.
Posted on Reply
#10
jabbadap
"cucker tarlson said:
Lol at least we can be sure no miner touches RTX cards.

Cause power is dirt cheap on Ukraine and gtx 1070/1070Ti/1080 cards are back to normals prices.
...Until new "tensor coin" arrives...
Posted on Reply
#11
Gasaraki
Mining is so dead on regular video cards.
Posted on Reply
#12
chaosmassive
the board length is...almost looks like photoshoped...
Posted on Reply
#13
Chloe Price
And here we have it guys, the most useless product of 2018.
Posted on Reply
#14
silentbogo
"cucker tarlson said:
Cause power is dirt cheap on Ukraine and gtx 1070/1070Ti/1080 cards are back to normals prices.
Even if the electricity is free, and there is no maintenance costs, it is still over 2 years ROI for that rig.
Even if ether doubles at some point, it'll only reduce that to 1 year with no net gain.
Also, consumer 10-series cards may be back to "normal", but the story is different with those miraculous 40MH/s GP104-100 cards.
Posted on Reply
#15
LAN_deRf_HA
"hat said:
Who knows, there could always be another rise in profitability. If I had the cash to buy it and somewhere to put it I wouldn't mind having a board like this. Problem is that and all the other hardware I'd need would be a ridiculously huge investment, so, yeah... not for me.
There won't be anything other than quick flash ups here and there. The market was artificially propped up to begin with and then every sucker that pushed it further has already been suckered. It will be years before a true resurgence. It's like when bitcoin went over 1000 and settled down for a long time.
Posted on Reply
#16
R-T-B
"eidairaman1 said:
Way late dont ya think, this is like a biostar board.
They know better than most here, as they've been watching it's cyclic nature for some time.

The craze will come again. And no, I do not say that with pride (honestly wish PoW would die), only a healthy amount of experience.

"LAN_deRf_HA said:
There won't be anything other than quick flash ups here and there. The market was artificially propped up to begin with and then every sucker that pushed it further has already been suckered. It will be years before a true resurgence. It's like when bitcoin went over 1000 and settled down for a long time.
They said that last time...

You know, not the ethereum one. The way earlier litecoin one.

It's going to happen.
Posted on Reply
#17
lexluthermiester
"eidairaman1 said:
Way late dont ya think
Yup, that's what I think.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment