Tuesday, April 9th 2019

Intel Soaks Up Heather Lennon, AMD RTG Digital Marketing Head

Intel has hired another of AMD's top executives as Raja Koduri hopes to basically rebuild RTG under Intel's banner and its resources. This time it's Heather Lennon, who led AMD Radeon Technologies Group (RTG) marketing and had been with AMD for over 10 years. She directed the Team Red community and won PR Week award for Campaign of the Year 2014. Lennon bagged 40 awards for digital marketing for AMD, and is widely believed to be the brains behind the PR upper-hand AMD enjoys among tech forums and the DIY community.

Lennon now joins Intel as Senior Manager, Digital Marketing for Graphics, and will work closely with Mark Taylor, an ex-NVIDIA exec who now leads technical marketing at Intel Graphics. Other ex-AMD and ex-NVIDIA honchos include Chris Hook and Tom Peterson, respectively. Raja Koduri is overseeing Intel's ambitious project to make inroads to the discrete GPU market under the new Xe brand, not just to serve gamers and PC enthusiasts, but more importantly GPU compute, cloud compute, and AI markets. Koduri is also reportedly lending insights to Intel's new Gen11 integrated graphics architecture, which debuts with its 10 nm "Ice Lake" processors.
Source: Heather Lennon (Twitter)
Add your own comment

36 Comments on Intel Soaks Up Heather Lennon, AMD RTG Digital Marketing Head

#1
nemesis.ie
Let's hope AMD replaces her with a marketing rock star. Some new blood in there might turn out to be a good thing.

It's shaping up for a lot more competition in the market which is, of course, good for us. :)
Posted on Reply
#2
chaosmassive
one after another, when this HR snatching end?
will AMD or Nvidia do something about it to retain their employee?
Posted on Reply
#3
notb
chaosmassive said:
one after another, when this HR snatching end?
will AMD or Nvidia do something about it to retain their employee?
You think they aren't trying?
People sometimes just need a change.
To be honest, working at Nvidia or Intel has to be more interesting (assuming similar money etc). More products, more markets, more cooperation with enterprise/science. It matters.
Posted on Reply
#4
hat
Enthusiast
Man, people must just be lining up to work at Intel. It's an interesting strategy, though. They can't just buy AMD or nVidia outright, so maybe instead of that their strategy is to buy their most important employees instead. It seems like hardly a day goes by that there's not some story about some high profile employee leaving some other company to work at Intel instead. I wonder if there might be some sort of antitrust nastiness to follow?
Posted on Reply
#5
FreedomEclipse
~Technological Technocrat~
chaosmassive said:
one after another, when this HR snatching end?
will AMD or Nvidia do something about it to retain their employee?
Think of Intel as Epic - they are giving these people suitcases full of money to be an Epic exclusive
Posted on Reply
#6
Vayra86
FreedomEclipse said:
Think of Intel as Epic - they are giving these people suitcases full of money to be an Epic exclusive
Nope, its not just money. Same with Epic, its not just about money, its about a healthy marketplace, about restoring a certain balance and fixing some unwanted things that seeped in over time.

Its real simple, there's a gap to be filled, so it gets filled. In both cases. That is how markets always work.
Posted on Reply
#7
hat
Enthusiast
I'm sure Intel isn't interested in doing anything that doesn't benefit Intel. Anything else is just a side effect. Much like Epic is doing what they do to make themselves money. I don't think it has anything to do with improving the market.
Posted on Reply
#8
Vayra86
hat said:
I'm sure Intel isn't interested in doing anything that doesn't benefit Intel. Anything else is just a side effect. Much like Epic is doing what they do to make themselves money. I don't think it has anything to do with improving the market.
Improving the market and making money are not mutually exclusive, quite the opposite - unless you're leading/owning it. The real commercial successes are win-win situations.
Posted on Reply
#9
hat
Enthusiast
Sure, the only point I'm making is that Intel (or Epic) aren't doing it for the market. If they do something which happens to help the market, then great, but Intel is thinking about helping Intel, and Epic is thinking about helping Epic. Everything else is just a side effect.
Posted on Reply
#10
Vayra86
hat said:
Sure, the only point I'm making is that Intel (or Epic) aren't doing it for the market. If they do something which helps the market, then great, but Intel is thinking about helping Intel, and Epic is thinking about helping Epic. Everything else is just a side effect.
We don't disagree but I still don't think you get my point here. The reason Epic can do what it does is because somebody left a gap for them to fill. So its not just Epic and suitcases of money, it is a demand that needed answering. GPU has much the same issue. We all complained for years about Nvidia's market domination. It is thát and only that, plus AMD's failure to make a dent, that enabled the business case for Intel's discrete GPU project. The way they staff that only further underlines this.

Of course its all about making money. Question is how and who benefits in the long run. Only with answers to those questions can a company say 'we are going to make money in the future'.
Posted on Reply
#11
NdMk2o1o
Vayra86 said:
Nope, its not just money. Same with Epic, its not just about money, its about a healthy marketplace, about restoring a certain balance and fixing some unwanted things that seeped in over time.

Its real simple, there's a gap to be filled, so it gets filled. In both cases. That is how markets always work.
You really think Intel care about a healthy market or restoring balance? OK Luke Skywalker :laugh: They would happily take a much of the market as they could and that's what they intend to do, whether that's 5,10,50 or even 90+% they care about nothing else other than their profits.

It's likely anyway that whatever they put out will have a lot of ip from amd, which will help amd out, probably not so much nvidia since the last licensing deal they had with them for their IGP expired wasn't renewed.
Posted on Reply
#12
kings
I don´t know why some people are so "upset" with all those hiring recently, we all win if Intel gets into the GPU market well.

Or do people prefer an Nvidia with 85% market share and an AMD with increasingly difficult to follow?

A third player is more than welcome and if Intel needs to buy the experience, so be it.
Posted on Reply
#13
R0H1T
It's mildly concerning because of their past, Intel tried to enter mobile space & literally blew dollar bills to get into phones driving away the likes of mediatek & other smaller ARM vendors from much needed design wins. The thing is mobile space was too much for them to handle & they really couldn't lock phone makers into their ecosystem unlike DC & servers, besides Apple & Samsung are 10x bigger than Intel. If they try anything similar here, it will be good for consumers only in the short term. Because we all know what such tactics lead to in the end, let's hope Intel play fair that's all.
Posted on Reply
#14
Vayra86
NdMk2o1o said:
You really think Intel care about a healthy market or restoring balance? OK Luke Skywalker :laugh: They would happily take a much of the market as they could and that's what they intend to do, whether that's 5,10,50 or even 90+% they care about nothing else other than their profits.

It's likely anyway that whatever they put out will have a lot of ip from amd, which will help amd out, probably not so much nvidia since the last licensing deal they had with them for their IGP expired wasn't renewed.
No, that is not what I said, and clarified... I don't think Intel cares about a healthy market, but it is the vehicle they need to gain a meaningful share. And that is the win-win in this example. We are the ones eagerly awaiting Intel's next GPU move, this is a demand that Intel is answering.
Posted on Reply
#15
mtcn77
Just imagine, they are going to promote a 660Ti instead of the Iris Pro. Companies never miss the opportunity to ship a value mismatched product, so in the end it will just replace Nvidia marketing efforts...
Posted on Reply
#16
Caring1
nemesis.ie said:
Let's hope AMD replaces her with a marketing rock star. Some new blood in there might turn out to be a good thing.

It's shaping up for a lot more competition in the market which is, of course, good for us. :)
Chances are, as the head of Marketing, she claimed all the glory while her subordinates did all the hard work.
Posted on Reply
#17
TristanX
Intel Xe will be more focussed on computing and AI than gaming. Intel need to compete with NV on servers and supercomputers than kids that want good graphics card for 200$.
Posted on Reply
#18
overvolted
nemesis.ie said:
Let's hope AMD replaces her with a marketing rock star. Some new blood in there might turn out to be a good thing.

It's shaping up for a lot more competition in the market which is, of course, good for us. :)
I agree. If it's anything in my opinion that has hurt AMD the most (aside from a few product disappointments in the past which happen) it's definitely their marketing.
You have to engage more with the public...or the public will not be engaged at all. And this is especially true now where they are making processors that actually perform well.
Posted on Reply
#20
sergionography
chaosmassive said:
one after another, when this HR snatching end?
will AMD or Nvidia do something about it to retain their employee?
Perhaps pay their employees better? Allow for growth within the company? Its easier said than done. The reality is that individuals are always looking for better opportunities, and with intel being new to the gpu game; the potential available positions are vast. This is good for AMD and Nvidia as well as that opens up positions for promotion within these companies as well. Im sure they have excellent engineers that are more than capable of these higher positions but been stuck due to lack of open positions.
Posted on Reply
#21
medi01
Don't care about AMD marketing people.
Posted on Reply
#23
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
Vayra86 said:
Nope, its not just money. Same with Epic, its not just about money, its about a healthy marketplace, about restoring a certain balance and fixing some unwanted things that seeped in over time.

Its real simple, there's a gap to be filled, so it gets filled. In both cases. That is how markets always work.
Intel and morals?

1/8192 morals

its money being thrown at them, nothing more or less...

juiseman said:
Man, who is next Lisa Su?
:kookoo::slap:

Head of AMD, nope
Posted on Reply
#24
Xaled
If Intel is joining the discrete GPU market just to get a share of the crypto-mining thing, why even bother with the marketing stuff? Oh wait the Nvidia fan army will do anything to calumniate Intel's cards! Even in mining!
Posted on Reply
#25
Fx
sergionography said:
Perhaps pay their employees better? Allow for growth within the company? Its easier said than done. The reality is that individuals are always looking for better opportunities, and with intel being new to the gpu game; the potential available positions are vast. This is good for AMD and Nvidia as well as that opens up positions for promotion within these companies as well. Im sure they have excellent engineers that are more than capable of these higher positions but been stuck due to lack of open positions.
I believe that this and more money are the two primary reasons of the exodus. Most people will always do what is best for their career. Also, they all know that this isn't a permanent move; they can always come back to AMD 8 years later because it's nothing personal.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment