Tuesday, March 15th 2011

AMD's upcoming FX series "Zambezi" desktop processors based on the "Bulldozer architecture are also expected to bring with them compatible motherboards, as AMD, on a number of occassions, stated that the chips will require a new socket (referred to as AM3+) and compatible chipset, and that the chips will be incompatible with existing AM3 socket and existing chipset. Information available with SweClockers points to the contrary.

According to the source, motherboard major ASUS is planning to provide support to AM3+ processors to some of its existing AM3 motherboards using mere BIOS updates. That's right, Zambezi will indeed be backwards compatible with AM3 and existing chipset, only what remains to be seen is if the processors will perform to their full potential and overclock well on existing platform. Amongst ASUS' Schindler's list are top of the line AM3 models, such as ROG Crosshair IV Formula and Extreme, M4A89TD PRO/USB3, and even AMD 890GX-based motherboards such as M4A89GTD PRO. The list also shows certain AM3+ motherboards that use dated chipsets such as 760G, probably the entry-level of ASUS' M5A series of motherboards.

Source: SweClockers

145 Comments on AMD FX Zambezi Processors Compatible with ASUS AM3 Motherboards Using BIOS Update

Tomisw
the first zambezi processors will not have this pin, this is the reason of it will fit.
ASUS said that, AASUS don t have reasons to lie, bcz if they lie some users like me will strop buying em boards
TheLaughingMan
newtekie1 said:
There is no reason for ASUS to lie. They say just a BIOS update is all that is required. I have no doubt that they will release a revision that uses the actual AM3+ socket, so that the extra pin doesn't get in the way, but that is it. From what they have said, the old boards just need a BIOS update and they will support the new socket(I'm guessing with the removal of that pin).
Ok, then we are both on the same page I see. I am not saying they are lying. I am saying the reported on half of the truth to get a nice news buzz for their new boards (which worked by the way). I also think they are going to stated the new board with the new socket will be needed once beta tests are done.

devguy said:
Here's the situation, as posted at XtremeSystems:
Didn't think about that. Interesting. Back to wait a see mode. Last post from me.
CDdude55
Crazy 4 TPU!!!
devguy said:
Here's the situation, as posted at XtremeSystems:

Garner what you will from that. Basically, just because there are extra pin slots in a socket, doesn't necessarily mean that a processor has a corresponding pin to put inside it.
Ahh, that makes sense, didn't know how many pins Bulldozer had.
newtekie1
Semi-Retired Folder
TheLaughingMan said:
That is where we differ. I don't think they are reporting half truths at all. I think they are reporting the whole truth, but might be expecting users to break an unused pin off their CPU to make it fit in the older socket. New boards won't be required, they will just make then easier.

But either way, we'll have to wait and see for sure, as you said.

Either way though, regardless of if the CPU will fit in the socket or not, ASUS has provent that the CPUs are in fact compatible with older chipsets/motherboards, and AMD is just not allowing it for whatever reason.
Melvis
[H]@RD5TUFF said:
Sure it does, if I have to buy a new mobo to make the new processor work why not go Intel, the main reason I was interested in the new AMD processors is because I figured they would be backwards compatable, if there not then I see no reason to pursue second best performance only to possibly save a few dollars
A few $$$? you must be joking right, we are talking about a mobo and CPU here at least, i find that just more then a few dollars?

Name one intel CPU that is forwards/backwards compatible with any of the other intel skt's?

Least this way you can use your current AM3 CPU and put it into a new AM3+ mobo considering this is going to be a whole new arch, i find that impressive.

SB should of been backwards compatible with the older i7's but it wasnt, i think that's fail.

[H]@RD5TUFF said:

Agreed Melvis.

Clearly you seem to have animosity against myself and Intel, grow a thicker skin ?:ohwell:
Clearly
Mussels
Moderprator
Melvis said:

socket 775 had P4, allendale, conroe, wolfdale, kentsfield and whatever the 45nm quad variants were called. that was several architechtures that shared one socket. no modern intel platforms do it, but the older ones did.

Melvis said:
we dont know for sure what way around it works - AM3+ could work on AM3 boards, or vice versa.

Melvis said:
which i7's? if it was 1366 that means it had to do triple channel, and if it was 1156 that would mean it had to be compatible with the lesser/crippled PCI-E lanes of that CPU architecture

as soon as intel integrated more stuff into the CPU, it stopped being so upgradeable. same thing happend with IMC's.
JrRacinFan
Served 5k and counting ...
JF-AMD said:
AMD is supporting BD on AM3+ sockets only. Period.
Then why manufacture them on a similar socket when clearly as this news post pointed out is about getting Zambezi/BD/AM3+/whatever on AM3?

So if needing to RMA one of AM3+ cpu's one of your support questions will be "what motherboard? was it AM3?" Therefore voiding warranties? Correct?

Mussels said:

Yes we do. Then why did Asus and btarunr post this as news?
Mussels
Moderprator
JrRacinFan said:

Yes we do. Then why did Asus and btarunr post this as news?
we dont know if it works on all of them, or only very specific boards.
JrRacinFan
Served 5k and counting ...
Mussels said:
we dont know if it works on all of them, or only very specific boards.
Contradictory eh? *Looks at OP* Specific boards I would say as was pointed out previously.
Mussels
Moderprator
JrRacinFan said:
to clarify my point:

we dont know if a BIOS update is all thats needed, or if some board makers knew early on and updated their sockets/board designs to work with the upcoming CPU's on the sly.

i dislike blanket statements such as "AM3+ works on AM3 boards" because its too easy for someone to read that and get the wrong idea. works on SOME boards, is what i want to see.
JrRacinFan
Served 5k and counting ...
Oh I know what you're saying Mussels. Refer back to my reply to JF-AMD. I totally agree with you and am far from ranting at you...

Sorry if my posts looked bad in context, just horribly worded and looked harsh.
No disrespect.... You're my bud! ;)
Melvis
Mussels said:
True but i mean skts as in 478 to 775 or 775 to 1366 etc, not like AM2/AM2+/AM3 see?
Same thing could be said from 939 to AM2, same thing just support for DDR2.

Mussels said:

Going by what JF-AMD says ( and i believe him over anyone else) this wont happen, but it be nice if it did :D

Mussels said:

Ether one realy, doesnt matter, it was just a surprise they didnt make them fit into ANY old skt, i felt bad for those i7 owners.

Mussels said:

Yea i do realize this and that makes sense, and this i think will be the same with Bulldozer and it also makes sense, its all new.
[H]@RD5TUFF
Melvis said:

What's the difference if I have to buy a new AMD mobo and a new AMD CPU which is a whole new platform or if I have to do the same to switch to Intel.

You have 0 evidence that AM3 and AM3+ will be backwards compatible, other than a sketchy release from ASUS, and if it didn't come from AMD the one making the chips and chip sets themselves it's worth less than your opinion.

Melvis said:
That's your opinion and it's backed up by nothing but hatred, you have 0 incite into the internal specs and if the 1156 bus could have actually supported the Sandy Bridge architecture, which if it couldn't I will grant you kinda sucks and shows a lack of internal coordination on Intel's part, but in no way makes it a fail, given it's nearly double the performance of AMD's best efforts.

Also I would expect you to admit you were wrong if it turns out AM3 and AM3+ aren't compatible, and the nonsensical vitriol you have spewed all over this thread and at others simply expressing their opinions.

All I can say to you is QQ?:ohwell:;)
Mussels
Moderprator
[H]@RD5TUFF said:

That's your opinion and it's backed up by nothing but hatred,... ...but in no way makes it a fail, given it's nearly double the performance of AMD's best efforts.
All I can say to you is QQ?:ohwell:;)
for someone claiming the opposing party to be backed up on hatred and ignorance, you sure made a great screwup with that comment.

find me a single shred of proof that sandy bridge has twice the performance of AMD's latest chips (meaning, thuban) and i'll listen to you. otherwise, you're just another fanboi hatin.
Melvis
[H]@RD5TUFF said:
None since it is all new tech, but at least AM3+ will hold your older AM3 CPU's.

[H]@RD5TUFF said:

:wtf: Ummm i didnt say it was, i said the opposite actually.

[H]@RD5TUFF said:

No just stating the facts is all, sorry if you think its hatred as thats a strong word. I just think at least that SB should of been compatible with one of the old skts that havent been out that long realy? Double? i find that hard to believe with every benchmark's ive seen on the net, now thats just going abit over board.

[H]@RD5TUFF said:

I will be happy to admit this, but i will expect you to admit im right in this up coming June ;)
devguy
Mussels said:
Funny you should mention that. One of my idiot, gotta have the latest and greatest, friends went through dealing with the pains of incompatible chipsets on LGA775. I believe his initial 775 board didn't support hyperthreaded Pentium 4s, so he upgraded. Next, his new chipset didn't support the dual-core Pentium D processor, so he had to upgrade again. Along came Conroe, and another chipset incompatibility hit him, so again he upgraded. Finally, he wanted to get a quad-core 45nm, but his chipset wouldn't work with those either. Frustrated, he swapped over to AMD's AM2 platform with the Crosshair II, and started with an Athlon x2, moved to a Phenom I 9850, and I believe he currently has a Phenom II 940 in there.

I suppose it might have helped if he had purchased an nVidia chipset instead of the latest Intel ones (as well as not be an early-adopter), but I would still say he got screwed pretty badly there.

Mussels said:
I can guarantee you that AM3 processors will work in AM3+ boards. As for the other way, wait and see.

Mussels said:
Yup, bringing that northbridge into the CPU forced some changes. Whether or not they are better or worth it is a different question (I haven't used them, so I can't give an opinion).

[H]@RD5TUFF

... and the nonsensical vitriol you have spewed all over this thread and at others simply expressing their opinions.
lolwut?
Mussels
Moderprator
that seems to imply that AM3+ CPU's will boot in boards even without a BIOS update, just that the update is needed for full recognition
JrRacinFan
Served 5k and counting ...
Mussels said:
just adding; sounds to me like once that bios is flashed it will no longer post with an AM3 cpu installed.
WarEagleAU
Bird of Prey
Well this is awesome news. Personally I want a new mobo with more USB 3.0 ports on it. I don't currently have that with my Crosshair 3 but I hope to soon :)