Friday, July 7th 2017

Steam Survey Update: It's All About Quad-cores, NVIDIA and Windows 10

An update to the Steam survey results is always worth noting, especially with the added, tremendous growth Valve's online store service has seen recently. And it seems that in the Steam gaming world at least, quad-core CPUs, NVIDIA graphics cards, and Windows 10 reign supreme.

Windows 10 64-bit is the most used operating system, with 50.33% of the survey. That the second most used Windows OS is the steady, hallmark Windows 7 shouldn't come as a surprise, though it does have just 32.05% of the market now. OS X has a measly 2.95% of the grand total, while Linux comes in at an even lower 0.72%. While AMD processor submits may have increased in other software, it seems that at least in Steam, those numbers aren't reflected, since AMD's processor market share in the survey has decreased from 21.89% in February to just 19.01% as of June, even though the company's Ryzen line of CPUs has been selling like hotcakes. Quad-core CPUs are the most used at time of the survey, at 52.06%, while the next highest percentage is still the dual-core CPU, with 42.23%.
On the graphics cards side of the equation though, AMD seems to be in a pretty considerable losing streak when it comes to the Steam hardware survey. The red company has fallen from a 26.2% market share in January 2016 to a much lower 20.5% in June 2017; it seems Polaris' price-point and lower cost of entry for FreeSync did little to convince users to migrate to the red team. Perhaps the lack of a halo product doomed AMD from the start?
There are a total of 19 NVIDIA video cards taking up the top spots in the Steam hardware survey before the first AMD video card series - the HD 7700 - makes an appearance with its measly 1.21% market share. Of the top 19 NVIDIA graphics cards, the GTX 1060 takes the top spot, with 6.29% market. Other 1000 series graphics cards from NVIDIA in the top 19 spots include the GTX 1070 (5th place with 3.60%), the GTX 1050 Ti (6th, 2.80%), the GTX 1050 (13th place, 1.74%) and the GTX 1080 (14th, 1.73%).Source: Steam Hardware Survey
Add your own comment

90 Comments on Steam Survey Update: It's All About Quad-cores, NVIDIA and Windows 10

#1
Chaitanya
Not surprising at all. Games aren't particularly well coded(even in 2017) to take advantage of multi-core CPUs which have been available now for good part of decade.
Posted on Reply
#2
phanbuey
this is a retrospective poll any way you look at it.
Posted on Reply
#3
Nkd
reason why steam survey isn't worth shit!
Posted on Reply
#4
Mussels
Moderprator
Nkd said:
reason why steam survey isn't worth shit!
Why, because you disagree with facts?
Posted on Reply
#5
Manu_PT
You failed to mention half of the active daily steam users are on Dota 2, CS GO and pubg. That explains why most pc gamers actually use low to mid end hardware. The most played games that make pc gaming a big market, arent demanding and run on any low budget system.
Posted on Reply
#6
Liviu Cojocaru
Manu_PT said:
You failed to mention half of the active daily steam users are on Dota 2, CS GO and pubg. That explains why most pc gamers actually use low to mid end hardware. The most played games that make pc gaming a big market, arent demanding and run on any low budget system.
PUBG is a demanding game, you need to have a really good PC to run it properly, I agree that the other 2 are not demanding but that does not mean that automatically most of the players that are playing those games have low to mid end hardware
Posted on Reply
#7
RCoon
Gaming Moderator
Still 0.35% Matrox/SiS users in the world.
Posted on Reply
#8
Mussels
Moderprator
RCoon said:
Still 0.35% Matrox/SiS users in the world.
probs running steam on server machines - some of the dedicated servers require a steam account to own the game to host them
Posted on Reply
#9
ShurikN
RX480 came out bit before 1060 (let say they both came out at the same time), both trade blows when it comes to performance, yet 1060 has 6 times more market share.
Such a shame that AMD will always have to fight that uphill battle. Against both the competition and the mindset of people.
Posted on Reply
#10
Mussels
Moderprator
*Looks at system specs*
*Looks at sig*

Oh crap, i'm NORMAL
Posted on Reply
#11
Lionheart
ShurikN said:
RX480 came out bit before 1060 (let say they both came out at the same time), both trade blows when it comes to performance, yet 1060 has 6 times more market share.
Such a shame that AMD will always have to fight that uphill battle. Against both the competition and the mindset of people.
Agreed, that whole mindshare that AdoredTV talked about is true.
Posted on Reply
#12
ShurikN
Mussels said:
*Looks at system specs*
*Looks at sig*

Oh crap, i'm NORMAL
Do you need an applaud?
Maybe standing ovation...
Posted on Reply
#14
chaosmassive
RCoon said:
Still 0.35% Matrox/SiS users in the world.
they were special little snowflakes
Posted on Reply
#15
9700 Pro
2c/4t, Nvidia & Windows 10. :toast:
Posted on Reply
#16
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
Live OR Die said:
4 cores ? that mite be 4 cores or more?
Steam breaks down cores as "CPU's". So presumably I guess you are referring to i7 and asking where are they? 0.49% according to the survey.

Edit: ahhhh, never mind. That wouldn't explain hyperthreaded dual cores. They must be mixed in the 4 CPU.
Posted on Reply
#17
ShurikN
Live OR Die said:
4 cores ? that mite be 4 cores or more?
I think it's just 4 cores. Everything else should fall into "other" category.
Posted on Reply
#18
Mussels
Moderprator
ShurikN said:
Do you need an applaud?
Maybe standing ovation...
i need a 6 core AMD setup with a via GPU, gotta be special somehow
Posted on Reply
#19
Kaotik
Still waiting for Valve to come clean on their "Software & Hardware Survey"
They've never explained exact methods they use to get their results - is it random pickings who gets to survey each month?
It can't be everyone, since the survey doesn't pop up on hardware changes.
What about users who use more than one machine on same account?

Also, they still haven't cleared up obvious mistake that has been in their video cards survey for years.
No - "HD 8800 -series", which is one model sold for one year on prebuilt OEM-machines is not and has never been used more than HD 7800 -series, which includes several models sold for a year in prebuilt OEM-machines and several years on retail.
Posted on Reply
#20
NicklasAPJ
Quad core, else Thanks, aleast 6 Core system today... the System is alot more smooth overall.
Posted on Reply
#21
EarthDog
Nkd said:
reason why steam survey isn't worth shit!
LOL, good reasons listed...
Kaotik said:
Still waiting for Valve to come clean on their "Software & Hardware Survey"
They've never explained exact methods they use to get their results - is it random pickings who gets to survey each month?
It can't be everyone, since the survey doesn't pop up on hardware changes.
What about users who use more than one machine on same account?

Also, they still haven't cleared up obvious mistake that has been in their video cards survey for years.
No - "HD 8800 -series", which is one model sold for one year on prebuilt OEM-machines is not and has never been used more than HD 7800 -series, which includes several models sold for a year in prebuilt OEM-machines and several years on retail.
Doesn't it record and send it off automatically? I don't recall filling anything out?
Posted on Reply
#22
Mussels
Moderprator
EarthDog said:
LOL, good reasons listed...
Doesn't it record and send it off automatically? I don't recall filling anything out?
Whenever i reinstall steam i get the survey asked, usually on a new machine/new OS install.
I'd guess they have a token somewhere that recognised an already surveyed system and they just auto-renew that so it stays in the stats, and systems that dont get refreshed (hardware changed, owner upgraded etc) get removed from the stats.
Posted on Reply
#23
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
Mussels said:
Whenever i reinstall steam i get the survey asked, usually on a new machine/new OS install.
I'd guess they have a token somewhere that recognised an already surveyed system and they just auto-renew that so it stays in the stats, and systems that dont get refreshed (hardware changed, owner upgraded etc) get removed from the stats.
I get a re-survey every 6 months. It asks a few questions, then pulls the rest of the hardware info on its own.

Afterward it redirects to the results and allows you to compare to the rest of the surveyed machines.
Posted on Reply
#24
dcf-joe
LOL, the top VR headset is only 0.23% of users.
Posted on Reply
#25
Vayra86
Liviu Cojocaru said:
PUBG is a demanding game, you need to have a really good PC to run it properly, I agree that the other 2 are not demanding but that does not mean that automatically most of the players that are playing those games have low to mid end hardware
Well... if there is one conclusion to draw from the Steam Survey, it is exactly that due to the sys requirements of the most played games in the Steam libraries, there is no need to have a faster system than mid range.

All the Steam Survey shows is that the most common denominator of performance level is what the most popular games are coded for, and this is nothing else but common sense, because that's where the greatest market potential is for a publisher.

Retrospective indeed. Steam Survey is a great way to see stagnation, you will never see progress here. In the same vein, this is also the reason we're still using quad cores for gaming; there is no argument to have more than that because games don't use it, and because nobody has any need to get more than 4 cores, there will not be many games that use it in the future either.

Another important omission from the Steam Survey is that big publishers have their own platform and nobody really likes using two layers of DRM. So Steam misses out on a vital part of the market, most notably the part where you are rewarded for having a faster system because the games can make use of it.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment