Tuesday, September 5th 2017

Intel Skylake-X HCC CPU Delidded by Der8auer, also not Soldered

Overclocking poster-boy Der8auer has seemingly gotten his hands on some early samples of Intel's Skylake-X high core count (HCC)HEDT CPUs. The upcoming 12 to 18-core enthusiast-class CPUs are being launched on the same X299 platform on socket LGA 2066 that Intel has already launched 4 (Kaby Lake-X), 6, 8 and 10-core parts already, and are supposed to bring Intel towards a level playing field - and then some - with competitor AMD's Threadripper CPUs, which boast of up to 16 cores.

From this delidding process with Der8auer's own delidding tool, Delid-Die-Mate-X, seems to result a die that is much larger - as expected - than Intel's 10-core i9-7900X. At the same time, it seems that Intel is still opting, again, for not soldering its enthusiast-targeted CPUs, which would result in better temperatures and, potentially, overclocking potential. The fact that Der8auer managed to delid the i9-7920X and didn't recommend against doing it likely means that there is minimal risk of damaging your CPU while subjecting it to this process. This is something the renowned overclocker did do when he recommended that users shouldn't delid their Ryzen or Threadripper CPUs looking for better temperatures, since the fact that these were soldered would likely result in both catastrophic damage and a much diminished chance of operating temperatures improvement through the application of special purpose thermal compounds. The Facebook post from Der8auer with the delidded 7920X likely serves as an appetizer for an upcoming delid video on YouTube, as has been the overclocker's MO.

Sources: Der8auer's Facebook, via Overclock 3D

171 Comments on Intel Skylake-X HCC CPU Delidded by Der8auer, also not Soldered

SIGSEGV
Meh, don't wanna burn hundreds of dollar just for 'TIM' and do your own risk because you're ENTHUSIAST BS and you should delid words ffs !
Mussels
Moderprator
lets put it another way

demand is there, so why the F arent they offering a higher priced model that includes it yet
RejZoR
Because applying some toothpaste and calling it a day while asking a premium price is still easier. And idiots still just blindly rush for it coz it's ze INTEL. Among many reasons, going with HEDT was soldered IHS. Having two layers of TIM before heat even reaches a cooler is really not my cup of tea. Especially not on 6+ core CPU's which are a heat factory.
EarthDog
Aldain said:
LOL

The only person I ever saw that actually defends the 7900x... Some people are just innately comical.. and not in a good way
Mine is fine as well. ;)

Lets not forget AMD cant even get past its own boost.... with solder. Could you imagine intel with?
9700 Pro
I can't even remember how many Intel has shown us the middle finger this year.. let's see..

1. Those stupid 7600K/7700K remakes on LGA2066
2. No solder on those LCC 2066 SKL-X processors
3. "microtransactions" on X299
4. Coffee Lakes not compatible with 100/200 series motherboards
5. SKL-X HCC's also not soldered

Five "fuck you consumers" so far in 2017, I'm impressed and not in a good way.
EarthDog
Dat spilled milk, the crying... :(
9700 Pro
EarthDog said:
Dat spilled milk, the crying... :(
Nah, I just got 7600K today and I'm happy with this. Also easy to delid. :)
EarthDog
Complains about intel shoving it up our rears, then bends over? How can you have that much conviction on the subject and still buy one?
ssdpro
RejZoR said:
I read this 3 page comment and have concluded this user is really annoying. There is no reason to refer to everyone that buys product "A" as an idiot. Do you have proof Intel applies "Toothpaste"? After application of this "toothpaste" did the factory "call it a day"? And what is "coz it's ze"? Is that some german reference? Do you have any data supporting purchase of a HEDT platform was based on solder as a primary reason for purchase? That all just sounds like kid stuff.
RejZoR
ssdpro said:
And you just sound like someone who has nothing of value to say other than dragging someone elses comment around. Because you had nothing of value to say in the first place. Also, context and synonyms are entirely foreign concepts to you...
9700 Pro
EarthDog said:
Because I don't want to change platform? And like I said, I'm going to delid this right when I get a tool for rent from someone, so the TIM on this isn't a problem.

I understand that my 250eur CPU has crappy TIM under the IHS, but a 2000eur enthusiast HEDT CPU?
rtwjunkie
PC Gaming Enthusiast
Aldain said:
LOL

That's one of our premier reviewers. He tests dozens of CPU's and motherboards, and so is extremely qualified to speak on this subject.

Your background is?
EarthDog
9700 Pro said:

i dont get the issue... works fine at stock and with an overclock. I mean apologies for not being able to overclock as far as you may want, but, its better than amds offering as fas as overclocking goes....with solder.
Vya Domus
9700 Pro said:

1. Those stupid 7600K/7700K remakes on LGA2066
2. No solder on those LCC 2066 SKL-X processors
3. "microtransactions" on X299
4. Coffee Lakes not compatible with 100/200 series motherboards
5. SKL-X HCC's also not soldered

Five "fuck you consumers" so far in 2017, I'm impressed and not in a good way.
Actually none of those are that bad , I mean it's their choice to do whatever dumb thing they want.

What is however mind boggling is how some people defend these dumb choices and even go as far as to call them "features".
vega22
cadaveca said:
I'm using one daily, not many others are, so yeah, I'm the odd man out. I even went and bought one, even after Intel sent me every CPU for the platform in ES form... because I got to see the real results for myself, and I don't buy into hype given by extreme OC guys.

Like for der8auer's uses, benching sub-zero, yeah, maybe not the most optimal, but that's not how I use my chips, so I could care less about that aspect of it. It's about reading the information within the proper context. ;)
it matters less for extreme clockers, in some cases it can help fight cold bug issues.

it matters most to the normal overclocker, running ambient cooling, that has limited cooling ability and require the most optimum heat transfer.
EarthDog
Vya Domus said:

who did that?
WaroDaBeast
Still not using TIM? Who would've thought? (I'm being sarcastic.)

nemesis.ie said:
A bit like "anyways" instead of anyway, "prolly" instead of probably, "lay" down instead of lie down and likely a load of other stuff? Oh well. :)
"Anyways" and "prolly" are just informal forms of "anyway" and "probably." On the other hand, "lie down" and "couldn't care less" respectively differ from "lay down" and "could care less" on a semantic level.

tl;dr: The first two words are just lazy pronunciations, while the two last ones mean something entirely different.
Vya Domus
EarthDog said:
who did that?
Not gonna name anyone , but someone on here insisted numerous time ( in other threads ) that the usage of TIM actually makes things "safer" and allows for "better QC and testing" because that's what Intel said.
vega22
Vya Domus said:
i thought they claimed it was to reduce failures and it made sure that the ihs stayed flat?
EarthDog
Oh, dave... lol. Well, i wouldnt call it a feature per say, but considering the big picture, it certainly isnt a problem for 99% of people. :)

Again, a 1.2ghz overclock (3.3 to 4.5ghz) vs 400 mhz (3.6 to 4.0ghz)...tim vs solder. I can reach 4.5 ghz on my purchased retail as well as es cpus too. That is with an h115i. With my custom loop, i can push that to 4.7 or so. Note those are fairly average cpus voltage wise. :)
Vayra86
Mussels said:
lets put it another way

Because 90% of the demand consists of screaming 18 year olds who never have the budget to back their demands up with a purchase. The remaining % actually just want a product that lasts. Then there is a small percent of Youtubers who need a soundbite, so they support the yelling 90% because those are the biggest target market for them.

Lets face it, Intel's already given a very sound explanation for their use of TIM, and it is by NO MEANS a simple process, if you consider this a cost advantage...well... let's say that is highly doubtful. Above all, nobody has backed up that rumor with actual numbers.

Skipping the top performing CPUs 'because no solder'... that's just silly

Note: der8auer is producing a very nice soundbite effect here on TPU right now with this article. Good money for him yo.

R-T-B said:
I feel the sudden need to kick you into a nameless pit screaming "This is TPU!" to reply to this.
Look to the left. Did that just for you! Mad Paint Skillz
Solaris17
Creator Solaris Utility DVD
cadaveca said:
Mine's not a furnace at all. And guess what, my VRMs don't overheat, either!
This. My board doesn't overheat. I dont mind him, but I think people seriously over stated there needs. You mean to tell me the professional overclocker that puts his motherboard on a cardboard box and breaks world records said his VRM design was bad because it got too hot doing what HE does?

Shocking.

Meanwhile my board in a ventilated case NOT pushing 2v to my CPU seems to be doing just fine.
Vya Domus
And that "sound explanation" Intel gave it is most likely total BS.

Let's put some things in perspective. Vega dissipates up to 300W , what if they used an IHS with TIM ? Dumbest thing ever right ? Well , something like a 7900X gets very close to that figure as well yet they chose to cripple proper heat transfer by using TIM.

Nvidia ditched the IHS altogether on their GPUs some years ago , AMD never used it as far as I know to begin with. And there's a very good reason they did that , this is simply about having proper heat transfer in a chip that's a power hog. Intel chose to do this for obvious reasons : cost , ease of assembly ( Yeah they make billions but what makes you think they still wouldn't aim for maximum profit and cut corner where they can ? )and to limit their chips artificially , all other explanations are total nonsense and I am surprised so many people bite onto them.
EarthDog
Frankly, i dont care what intel says... look at our results... look at them compared to Ryzen with solder. Everyone is hung up in the rules, but missed the results of the race. ;)
Vya Domus
Except that has nothing to do with what I said.

As I explained this is about making a chip that can dissipate heat efficiently , and in that regard using an IHS with TIM is simply not optimal. Never was , never will be.